Starter solenoid?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
85 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Starter solenoid?

Norcalbullnose
I dont think were thinking of the same thing here, I'll take pictures tomorrow but it's one long metal tube going from behind the distributer to inside the cab where the gauge is. I thought it was odd but I'm assuming it worked at some point.
1984 cclb f350, 460, 4 speed, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh, so they removed the water temp sender and replaced it with a thermocouple.

There is a water port there.
I don't think about it much, because on my intake it's moved to the other side.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Norcalbullnose
If there's a long metal tube going into the cab then that's a mechanical gauge with the bourdon tube that Jim mentioned.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But it wouldn't be, for water temperature... Would it?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I searched for "how does a mechanical water temp gauge work" and this page says:

They have a sealed capillary tube and bulb assembly that is filled with temperature sensitive liquid that produces a proportional vapor pressure on the bourdon tube. As the temperature changes, the pressure inside the bourdon tube changes, which in turn moves the pointer on the gauge.

And it has this drawing:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Like I said the former owners wanted to turn her into a race truck I guess, so who knows what that would be for. What would a thermocouple measure because it is hooked up to a gauge and it says "water temp" on it, that's why I assumed that
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It measures heat., by creating tiny amounts of electricity -proportional- to the heat applied at the end.

But Gary has a point.
If it came as a sealed system, and the tube is coiled with no kinks, it could be a burdon tube type gauge.

I would go with the simple answer... that it is what it says it is.

***Gary, it could be the very same wax pellet that the variable resistor type bullnose gauges use.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
This thread isnt about my starter solenoid anymore should I start one just for my truck? Anyways sorry it took a while I had the truck running installed an oil pressure gauge and from a cold start shes right at 75psi. Now I need to figure out the tuning of the carb and install a new choke. I took a picture of where my mystery water temp gauge's line is hooked up. Can someone explain to me what it is and what I need to replace exactly. I have no clue I am sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
The coiled metal pipe goes into the block right under where the fuel line is behind the distributer
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think you mean to say 'into the intake manifold'

The only block I can see at the front of my 460 is at the base of the distributor.

But maybe.... If the PO went as far as to gut the gauge cluster ' for racing!'

Perhaps you should start a new thread (topic) about this.
Or just post what you've found in the WDYDTYTT.
I'm sure all the -brain trust-😈 will see it there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A coiled line like that is usually a mechanical coolant temp or oil pressure line.  And there's no oil pressure to read in the intake manifold, but there is coolant.  So it is surely a coolant temp line going back to the gauge.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I am kinda outta my field here so Im hopping someone will correct me if Im wrong. If memory stands correct, the sending unit for oil preassure is in back of the intake manifold on the top of the block. Right next to the fire wall. Most guages come with the tube and adapters to remove the sending unit and run the line from the engine to the guage in the cab. Not to down play it, but it aint the space shuttle eather. They are real simple
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're absolutely right Steve, it's not rocket science.

But he is talking about the water temp gauge already installed by the PO.

BTW, my son was a umbilical engineer on the shuttle after graduating Embry-Riddle in Daytona.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
Yeah I installed the oil pressure after a few tries and it works perfectly now I'm just figuring out the carb and getting the coolants temp to work. The previous owner I bought it from did a horrible job rebuilding and after removing it to install a manual choke I'm considering replacing it. Anyone know of a C.A.R.B legal carburetor for me or do I have to go OEM replacement?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you can afford to be without it for a couple of weeks, I used to have a carburetor shop, problem is I am clear on the other side of the country from you.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
There is actually a small shop locally that specializes in holley and I was considering taking it to them I just dont know what exactly they will have to do to make it work properly again and how much it will be. It runs rich, idles high no matter how I adjust the screw for some reason. That's why I was just considering a new one but I domt seem to have any options at all
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You probably have a blown power valve and a vacuum leak, or the secondaries are not closing all the way.
Try starting the truck and closing both idle mixture screws slowly.

If the truck even tries to run with them all the way in, the fuel is leaking past the seal.
IF the float level is correct.

Both my truck and my Mustang came with 4180's.
They're not hard to rebuild, but they ARE easy to screw up.

Unfortunately, I sold my 4180 to someone who needed it for emissions.
The 0-80457-S is going to be as close as you get in Holley's catalog, but it doesn't have bowl vents, and the fuel goes to the side of the primary bowl instead of to a filter on the front.

I think Gary may have one.
If his goes to Bill, then to you, and then yours goes to Bill and on to Gary, you wouldn't have the downtime.
But all those parties would have to be agreeable.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have one and would be willing to do the dance Jim suggested.  However, these are heavy carbs and the shipping would get expensive.  If you have a carb shop locally it might be less expensive to have them do it just from the shipping alone.

We have two versions of the factory rebuilding manuals here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Carb Chokes & EFI/Holley 4180C and on the Ford Service Manuals tab.  Either your shop or you could follow them to rebuild the carb.

And Jim is right - it sounds like you have both a blown power valve and a vacuum leak.  Those aren't hard to repair and we can walk you through it - and I'd start with Jim's suggestions.  But if you have a vacuum leak then having the carb rebuilt isn't going to fix all of the problems as the leak is probably not the carb's fault.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh yes, don't miss the link on the Holley 4180C page to the Adjustments booklet, which has even more info on that carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
One thing notorious is the EGR spacer leaking.
And if the spacer isn't there, there's going to be an open hole.
If the gasket is wrong, there's going to be an open hole!

Unless there is an aftermarket manifold....
But the Eddy puts that water port on the other side. AMHIK....

This needs its own thread, and it needs moar pics, before I'm willing to do any diagnosis.
This is all guesswork without data.
 Jim,