Starter solenoid?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
85 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Starter solenoid?

Norcalbullnose
Thank you! Man I wish I wouldve seen that diagram sooner as mine has nothing for the pink/blk wire, I never had it connected. I'll give an update tomorrow once I get this straightened out and do what you all said.
1984 cclb f350, 460, 4 speed, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I just checked them out and wow what a great price. The current price of $47.46 and free shipping plus brand new beats the local price of $88.89 and $25.00 core charge for rebuilt.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Norcalbullnose
That wire connected to 'I' is only for trucks with electric fuel pumps to prime the carburetor. (and in some cases it goes to the retard function of your DSII module)

The red/blue wire connects to the 'S' terminal, and closes the starter relay.
Coming from the neutral safety switch.

Starter cable goes to one stud.

Battery cable and everything else goes to the other...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Frank Wyatt
Frank, it is a good price and mine lasted from 2011 until a few weeks ago when the nosecone bushing had worn and it didn't want to engage the flywheel.

Of course, there was no core charge, so I kept the old one around for when it stopped working I could walk in with my 'core' and didn't have to go back to the store.

The starter motor itself was fine so I swapped the nosecone out of my spare core and was done for the cost of a can of electrical cleaner and a *dab of grease.

Even the brushes looked new, though I did clean the commutator with scotchbrite.

*autocorrect
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Frank Wyatt
They're in Tennessee, like you!

So although you're not supporting factory jobs, you are putting food on the table for warehouse workers close by.

Win,win.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That wire connected to 'I' is only for trucks with electric fuel pumps to prime the carburetor. (and in some cases it goes to the retard function of your DSII module)

The red/blue wire connects to the 'S' terminal, and closes the starter relay.
Coming from the neutral safety switch.

Starter cable goes to one stud.

Battery cable and everything else goes to the other...
In the old days of points that "I" (IGN) sent full 12 volts to the points / coil for a hotter spark when starting as it is only hot when the relay / solenoid is passing power.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right.
And it triggers spark retard in early DSII systems (as well as bypassing the resistor)

With Hot Fuel Handling 460 trucks it bypasses all safeties and runs the fuel pump while cranking.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
In reply to this post by Norcalbullnose
Relay   this is how I currently have it set up, I followed what yall said. When I go to crank still nothin but the parking brake light dims when I crank so is it attempting to send power and its just not going through or bad relay maybe? I really am stumped here
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's kinda hard to get my head around, so let me rotate it.  Ok, maybe now, although the orientation of the relay looks basically 1/2 turn off of where I'm used to it.

Have you tried moving the small wires to the other small terminal?  Or, better yet, remove the small wire that is not red/lb and see what that does.  And if it doesn't work then move the r/lb wire to the other small terminal.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
Sorry about that I wasnt sure how to properly upload a picture. It's a little wacky just to prevent me from drilling new holes. I went ahead and put the red/lb wire on the I instead of the s and still nothing. I just get a dimming parking brake light. Could it be something else not having to do with the relay?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it easily could be something else since you changed a lot of things.  But here's what I'd do: Pull the two little wires.  Then take a jumper and go from the battery's hot terminal to the little S terminal.  That should pull the relay in and crank the engine - so make sure it is in Neutral with the park brake on.

If that works the relay and other wiring but the ignition switch are good.  If not, now we have to start testing things.  But it may well be a ground.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
Is there any specific grounds to check? I got rid of all the rust and paint where the relay goes and the bolts are tight so I cant see that being a bad ground but maybe. I have cleaned all of the grounds that I have found myself but I'm sure I've missed some. I'll have to find some jumpers but if that does work should I just go about rewiring the ignition switch?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you have a light dimming in the cab, I would check the firewall ground.
On my truck it goes from the wiper motor to the intake manifold stud.

You can use almost anything (a paperclip) to jump from the battery+ stud to the 'S' terminal.
But as Gary said, be sure you are in neutral with the parking brake engaged, and if you want it to start, that ignition is on.
Otherwise it will crank, but not start.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
I redid some more grounds, and jumped the relay and it cranked. What does this mean? My problem now has nothing to do with the relay and all that jazz right? I'm sorry for all the questions I am just dying to drive this ole girl. What should my next check be?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But you don't even get a click when you turn the key?

Is your truck late enough to have a NSS?
Is there a toothed plastic bar connected to the clutch pedal?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If so, two things.

Slide the stop block back down the bar, and try again while depressing the clutch.
(You know you have to step on the clutch to start, right?)

Two, if the switch is bad, unplug it and put a spare fuse from the panel in the socket.
Then try again.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose

Is this what you are talking about?
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
That is a horrible picture but that is what is connected at the top of my clutch pedal, and yes I have been pushing the clutch in
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, it's hard to orient myself with autorotate on, but yes.

So unplug it and put a fuse in the plug, then try
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Norcalbullnose
I tried the fuse trick and it works perfectly now. Best sounding crank I've heard from ot so far. Should I just keep the fuse where it is or replace the whole switch?