499 messages Options
123456 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Salan's 1980 Something

salans7
FuzzFace2 wrote
Before you mount the dash you may want to mount the firewall pad & HVAC box.
Trying to work around & behind the dash can be a PITA.
Dave ----
Thanks for the tip.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
So the dash is a little different now.

Not quite going for the same look as my F150 since I'm only doing the equivalent to Ranger trim this time. But I am gonna run full B-pillar trim and a headliner since I already have them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I assume that's the same one and you painted it?  It looks good.  

What paint did you use?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
I assume that's the same one and you painted it?  It looks good.  

What paint did you use?
Yep, same dash that came from the old cab. I wanted to use SEM, but at nearly $20 a can, I can't justify spending that kind of money on an entire interior refinish. I was originally going to coat the back of everything with the Duplicolor Vinyl Flat Black and then use SEM on the face of everything, however when I realized the Duplicolor Flat Black was a close match, I decided to just spray everything with the Duplicolor product. At $7 a can, it fits the "budget build" mentality a little more than SEM.

I previously used the Duplicolor paint on my F150, specifically the vinyl trim above the arm rests and a couple of other small pieces with great results.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - I understand.  But I know SEM works and don't want to have to do it again, so I'll pay the extra.

Anyway, your interior looks great!  Well done!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by salans7
How does the paint wear on high use areas like the armrests, door trim, when you rest on them, etc.?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I don't have much experience with the Duplicolor long term since I no longer have my F150, but my brother's Ranger was re-done in SEM Landau Black and unfortunately he has quite a few spots that have worn down and need to be redone. Not sure what his prep regimen was, so that could play a factor. But I'm not really planning on spraying any of the high usage soft vinyl parts with exception to the visors. I'm gonna source those parts from an F600+ if possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Shaun - I understand.  But I know SEM works and don't want to have to do it again, so I'll pay the extra.

Anyway, your interior looks great!  Well done!  
X2
I also cant say over the long run as I don't have anything I can use at this time that I have used the SEM on.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
No real updates but I did some maintenance on my Ranger and decided to take a shot of my two trucks together.

Little Ranger grew quite a bit after I sold the F150.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'd say that the Ranger has grown.  

Looks good.  And stout.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, I'd say that the Ranger has grown.  

Looks good.  And stout.
Concentric Slave Cylinders and A-2 outer wheel bearings leave MUCH to be desired, but it's been a good little truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I finally picked up a manual pedal assembly today. Out of five junkyards in town, only one had a manual truck. I though about picking a pedal assembly up on Ebay, but at $120-$200 a pop, no thanks. Picked the local one up for $30, much better.

Those with keen eyes can also see the wiring harness behind the dash, I finished fixing the fuse box wiring and after checking everything over, I reinstalled it into the truck. It's finally starting to feel more and more like a completed truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Progress is good!
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Still so much to do, but every little task completed means I'm closer to a complete truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is looking good.  I really like ticking the box on my to-do list, so I recommend having one.  

And. glad you found one for that price.  Good job.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I earned that pedal assembly, that's for sure. I was out there around 10am, long before the afternoon heat. Still poured buckets of sweat out of every pore I have. It didn't help that the door to the parts truck was removed, so the sun was beating right down onto me. That coupled with the corrosion on the booster bolts made what should only have taken maybe an hour, take almost two. It was a good reminder of why I usually don't go to the junkyard during the hot months (February through October in Florida ) unless it's raining.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So Nov - Jan is the time to come to FL?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Basically, and that's not even a guarantee. It's only really cold at night. It's rarely cold during the day.

It's even worse further south.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
I've never been a big fan of having a bunch of truck parts laying around my shop since it isn't the biggest space, so I put the interior back together to save room. This is a budget build so I'm not looking to make this thing 100% Bullnose, so the seat belts will stay the way they are, as will the B-pillar trim. The map pockets will also stay Bricknose, but I'm not sure if I'll keep the carpet. I need to replace the window seals on the driver's side door, as well as the window regulator on the passenger side, so that's when I'll color change the door panels and map pockets.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is really starting to look like a truck!  Although one that doesn't know if it is an animal or a building block.  

Seriously though, I didn't know that the Brick map pockets fit that well.  Do all of the holes line up?  And, does the vent go into the main opening of the door, or is it blocked off by the door's inner skin?

123456 ... 25