1234567 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Salan's 1980 Something

salans7
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
Seriously though, I didn't know that the Brick map pockets fit that well.  Do all of the holes line up?  And, does the vent go into the main opening of the door, or is it blocked off by the door's inner skin?
After tearing into the truck, I found that the doors have previously been replaced with Bullnose doors for whatever reason (That's probably why the truck is now Maroon rather than white). Because of that, I have no way of knowing whether these doors originally had map pockets, and whether the Bricknose pockets were even installed correctly. But the area behind the vent is just the regular sheet metal and I don't really plan to make the vents functional.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I guess that didn't prove anything.  Thanks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
When I installed the map pockets on my F150, none of the screw holes were pre-stamped in the door so I had to drill them. So in reality how they mount would only matter on a truck with already existing map pockets.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
After removing the map pockets, I have found that there are dimpled spots in the doors where the factory map pockets would probably go. However, since I do not have a set of the 80-84 or 85-86 factory map pockets, I cannot verify whether the holes are in the same spots as the Bricknose map pockets.

Another thing I discovered is that the map pocket panel still shows a texture underneath the carpet, so if one wanted to remove the carpet like I do, that is an option. However, there is a molding line that runs lengthwise through the map pocket panel, and that would have to be dealt with if you find that it bothers you.

For what it's worth, the Bricknose map pockets also feel less brittle than the older style. They have a lot more flex to them.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I don't remember any dimples for the pockets on my doors (81 F100) when sanding & painting them.
Even the lower part I replaced on the left door.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
FuzzFace2 wrote
I don't remember any dimples for the pockets on my doors (81 F100) when sanding & painting them.
Even the lower part I replaced on the left door.
Dave ----
The ones I saw were located where the top of the map pocket panel would sit. There were no dimples on the bottom side of the door. I assume that the map pockets were placed using the upper dimples and then the bottom was simply screwed down with the self tappers.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm on vacation this week, and I'm trying not to spend the whole time working on my F350, but at the same time, I really want to.

This morning I swapped the passenger side door since this one matches the fenders and bed and is in the same condition as the old door. Also threw some Walmart tint on the window to keep temps down and man does that really set the mood of this truck. It's really the little things. I can't wait to have this thing on the road.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What do you hope/plan to get done this week, Shaun?  When do you think you'll have it on the road?  Any goals?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This week I plan to cross off as many little things as I can, that way there's less on my list when I start hitting the big things.

The big things I need include:

Front Suspension
Engine
Transmission
Transfer Case
Driveshafts
Ignition System
Fuel System Maintenance
Brake System

Front suspension is priority since I want the truck off of jackstands. I just need to pick up the RSK and springs so that it can sit on all four wheels. After that I'll source the drivetrain, and then it's just a matter of installing new parts and tying up loose ends.

My ultimate goal is by next year, hopefully before Summer. That should give me enough time to get this thing at least close to running and driving.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What RSK and springs are you using?  I'm sure you told me, but .....

Anyway, that's quite a list.  As long in many ways as mine on Big Blue.  Should be a fun journey.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm going with the one below. I'm gonna have to adapt it since my frame is not a 4x4 frame, but I have a good tape measure and the axle so I'll get it figured out.  

Super Duty RSK

This old girl is definitely a project, but it will be worth it in the end. A good solid truck that I don't have to be afraid of using.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As you know, that's the same one I'm going to order, very soon.  When are you ordering yours?  And what shocks are you going with?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm probably gonna place my order next month, I'm trying to make sure there's nothing else I need from them so I can get everything in one shot.

As for shocks, Bilstein if possible. I refuse to run anything else on my trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They have the right Bilsteins for the lift we'll get.  That's the ones I'm going to order.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Perfect, what about rears? I'm running the F350 blocks out back so I need to do some research on rear Bilsteins for that much lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They told me we'll need to use 10" travel shocks on the front.

On the rear, I already have Bilsteins.  And I'm running new F250 springs and the standard blocks.  But, I have to soften those springs, which is certain to drop the ride height some.  That may make it a bit lower than the front, so I may need to make a change.  If I remember correctly I have both 3" and 4" blocks.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I haven't even begun to figure out my rear spring situation. May do a bastard pack like my Ranger has with an AAL or may just replace them. I'll figure that out when I get the weight of the bed on the truck so I can see where the stock springs are sitting. Definitely gonna add overloads to this truck as well so I'll have to account for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My hope/plan is to get the springs dialed down to where I get a decent ride and it'll handle most minor loads.  Like when I'm overlanding.

But when I need more capacity I'll use air bags.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm just trying to haul horses/cattle and my Ranger. Haha.
1234567 ... 25