classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I actually don't know what pattern it is!  Good question, I'll check tomorrow.

Somewhere there's a micro-analysis of trailers from back when I was shopping for one.  I'd realized that every time I borrowed a trailer I had to fix it before either using it or returning it:

The trailer I borrowed to bring Brownie home threw tread on two of the four tires, but waited until I got back to my driveway to do it.  So I replaced the two tires.  And it didn't have a spare.

I learned from that and swore I'd never take a trailer out again w/o a spare, so when I borrowed my neighbor's trailer I added a spare.

Then I got the invitation to come get Big Blue, and Brandon said he had the right trailer for it, but it "needed a little wiring".  Turns out it had been in a grass fire and it didn't have any wiring - to the lights nor to the brakes.  And two of the four brake magnets were dead.  So I completely rewired it, including new lights as the original ones dripped like Inspector Clouseau's nose.  And, I re-packed the wheel bearings.

That set me to wondering what it would cost to have my own.  A bit of research told me that a used trailer in good shape sells for about 75% of a new one.  And I'd already spent more than that on other's trailers.

But a bit more research determined that there are (IIRC) 3500 lb axles, 5500 lb axles, and 7000 lb axles.  It was pretty obvious that two 3500 lb axles weren't going to be enough when I was playing with vehicles that weigh ~6000 lbs and the trailer weighs at least 2000 lbs.

Ahh!  Maybe 5500 lb axles will do?  And, they will if you get the load centered over the axles.  But, you are supposed to have ~10% tongue weight, which means the load has to be biased forward, so it would be very easy to overload the front tires/axle.

Given that, I went with 7000 lb axles.  The trailer cost very little more than it would have with lighter axles, and I have the peace of mind that I'm not likely to overload it.  And when towing through the night, as we did bringing Big Blue back, that is huge.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
My dad home built his car hauler out of an old travel trailer with a set of what I believe were 5k axles. He put a bunch of cross bracing in, as well as a massive dove tail that was in my opinion poorly designed. I drove the combo a few times with a load and I have just one word, sketchy. The trailer was sketchy enough, but so was pulling the loaded trailer behind a 1987 F150 with a 5.0. No amount of brakes could help stop that truck and trailer in less than a football field. Those days taught me the importance of matching not only the trailer to the load, but the trailer/load to the truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My 2015 F150 handles my trailer very well.  But I put brakes on both axles, and they work great.  Plus, the truck has sway control built in.  So all in all it is better to tow with than Big Blue.

However, I really ought to put air bags on it as the rear does sag some when the trailer is loaded.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did a safety upgrade today.  Realized that my drawbar and 2 5/16" ball were rated at 7500 lbs, which seems a bit light when the trailer is rated for 14,000 lbs.  So I bought a new drawbar rated at 16,000 lbs and a ball at 14,000 lbs.  Granted that's more than the receiver hitch is rated for, but at least the weak link isn't the ball or the drawbar.

The trip on Tuesday is still questionable, so I don't know for sure when I'll use the new items.  But at least I have them.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good idea!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry to hear plans to go get the Malibu fell through.
I wanted to see it!

What (if any) advice did Scott offer re: the air tank situation for Big Blue?

Did you figure out the lug pattern of the trailer?
It's always good to know what might work in a pinch.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I kinda wanted to see it as well.  And I offered to store it here until John, the paint/body guru, can get to it.  But Janey's cousin wanted to wait and with what we have going on in the family I was a bit relieved.

As for the tanks and bottles, I talked to him about welding the crossmember, but forgot to ask about the tanks and bottles.    However, we have a luncheon after church today and perhaps I'll get a chance to ask him about them then.