classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I do, but nothing shows about it. Do you need me to start scanning mine?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, but thanks. I don’t think we need the full ‘96 EVTM on here. Just the pieces specific to EEC-V swaps, and I can easily do that by cutting those pages out of the awful copy I have - when the time comes.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, I do have some spreadsheets I made when doing mine to track the wiring changes for the engine/transmission.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
My hand winch is a 2 speed so when something is stuck put it in low and start cranking.
I had to hand crank on a full size Chry fury, Blues Brothers car with speaker on roof and all, now that was a heavy car.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Maybe I can use those on my wiring?

Dave - I'm lazy, and will take electric any day.  But, a Blues Bro's car - that's cool!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Probably, when you get to that point let me know.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't hold your breath.  Ford blue isn't becoming on old men.  

I'm hoping to get to Big Blue late this year, probably after the show.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, update time on this thread.  I've been documenting my work in the WHYDTYTT thread, but will bring this one up to speed.

First, the trailer is almost ready.  I've mounted the winch to it and have made a 10' jumper of 2/0 welding cable to connect back to Big Blue's wiring system.  That way I'll have both batteries from which to pull current and the alternator to replenish them.  And along the way I had to remove the hook on the winch line as it wouldn't go through the fairlead on Big Blue's bumper.  Instead I installed a shackle that can be removed easily by removing a snap ring, and I can attach the hook to the shackle via a D-ring if I need to do so.

And, I've leveled the trailer when connected to Big Blue by adjusting the height of the hitch, although I did have to grind a bit of metal off the front of the hitch due to lack of clearance between it and the drawbar.  Plus the tire pressures have all been set - both on the trailer and on Big Blue.  So all that is left to do on the trailer is to give the new bearings a squirt of grease and to check the torque on the lug nuts.

Speaking of tires, Roger is sure the tires on the '60 Chevy pickup will be badly rotten, and he won't have time to find good ones while he's there.  So I pulled the tires off the '50 and put it up on jack stands.  And, in doing so discovered that two of them weren't holding air, so I took them into the local tire shop.  A couple of hours later I got them back with assurances that they are now well and truly sealed.  So the back of Big Blue is full of tires - the 4 for the Chevy and Big Blue's own huge spare.

I have the tools rounded up, and I'm taking a full set of wrenches, sockets & ratchet, screw drivers, etc.  Plus my Ridgid impact, drill, and sawsall and 4 charged batteries.  And I have chain and lots of ratchet straps, gloves, etc.  In addition I'll have a bottle jack and a floor jack.  Plus I'll take a cooler with water and Gatoraide.  But, what other tools might I need?

As for Big Blue, all the fluids have been checked and I even replaced the glass runs and anti-rattle strips on the doors yesterday, which significantly reduced the wind noise.  And I've fixed the brake controller wiring and tested the trailer's brakes and lights.  Today I plan to adjust the headlights (tonight actually) and figure out how to connect my phone to the radio for tunes as I drive.  And I plan to install a shutoff valve in the heater hose so the Vent position will have cooler air coming in.

What else should be done?  What other tools might I need?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Hopefully you wouldn’t need any of this, but if you are going to be out loading in a muddy field consider a shovel, a digging bar and an extra tow chain/strap just in case. Also wooden planks if you have any laying around in case it’s trying to sink in. I like to have chock blocks handy whenever I am messing with vehicles in neutral. Also carpet or cardboard to lay on for changing wheels and hitching up. This may all be common sense stuff and not the kinds of tools you were thinking about but thought I’d mention it anyway.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A shovel is a good idea - I'd planned on taking one but had forgotten.  Planks are a good idea, but I don't have any.  Should have purchased the recovery tracks I looked at recently.

I forgot to list the chocks, but they are in the tool box on the truck.  And I have a recovery/tree saver strap, but a digging bar is a good idea.  And maybe the sledge to drive it in if necessary.

Carpet is a great idea.  I think I have some old stuff that would work well for getting down to change out the tires w/o wearing all that mud for the rest of the day.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the hubs lubed and the lug nuts torqued down on the trailer.  Sure glad I did as the hubs took 1/2 of a mini tube of grease each, so while they were surely lubed there wasn't any excess in there.  And the lug nuts were all over the place on torque, so I'm glad I checked them as well.

As for the truck, I did get the iPhone set up to play through the radio - and it sounds GOOD!  In addition I got the shutoff valve in the heater hose so the incoming air won't be heated.  But, since it will get below freezing tonight I may want to leave it on for the trip over on Tuesday.

Anyway, I'll report more on WHYDTYTT.....  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Spent most of the day trying to resurrect an old air tank my brother gave me.  Thought I had it nailed after I tapped and plugged every orifice on it, but it was sitting at 125 PSI at 5:00 and is now down to 80 PSI 4 hours later.  

Just looked and Tractor Supply has one on sale for $20.  Think I'll pick that one up when I'm out tomorrow.

But, I did adjust the headlights tonight and they work great.  But we put the trip off until Wednesday due to weather, so tomorrow I can finish getting the tools ready, gas the truck and the two 5 gallon containers I'm taking up, and get everything loaded.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Chance of rain again today. More later this week.

I dont think Big Blue will have any issues working in the mud. Those trucks are harder to get stuck than people think even with a trailer on. However, the mess and clean up is demoralizing.

I would go buy 1,000' of chain and just pull it from the street lol.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup, today we have a chance of rain and Grove, where I'm headed, has an even higher chance.  But tomorrow is to be clear and dry.  And my buddy has a tractor so he can pull the vehicles within reach of my 100' of winch line, 25' of chain, and 20' of retrieval line - plus probably 100' of ratchet straps of various sizes.

However, I understand what you are saying about cleanup.  Back in the early 90's we had a Toyota Previa van with AWD.  Took it out in the mud and it was unstoppable.  And then the cleanup started.  I spent many dollars in quarters at the car wash and left the place a mess.  Then, when we got home a couple of days later I went under and spent a day breaking the mud out of places I couldn't believe it could get.  

So, while I'm in Tractor Supply today getting the air tank I'll look at their chain.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, we are loaded.  All I have to do in the morning is to top the two air tanks off (the new one and the old one), add some water and Gatoraide bottles to the cooler, and be off.  Here's the check list - please tell me what I'm forgetting:

And, here are a few shots of a loaded truck:

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Looks ready!

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago that told me something interesting. He worked on a big ranch in AZ years ago. When I say years ago I am saying he will be 88 in August and this was when he was a young man. Joe Lynch is his name. Joe said on the ranch the work trucks had bumpers made of 4" pipe. The pipe had ends welded on as well as NPT bungs where air chucks were installed. Every morning they would pressure up the bumpers for a reservoir in case they needed it (apparently this was a BIG ranch) in order to not become stranded.
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Many of the overlanders install bumpers like that.  Someone put a roll bar in his truck and the roll bar was a tank.

But, when I do the EFI upgrade to Big Blue I hope to include a York compressor that will give me something like 6 CFM of air at 30 psi.  Add a tank and I'll have plenty of air.

As for the "old" guy, 88 isn't sounding nearly as old as it used to.  I hope to still be active when that time comes, and it'll be here soon - too soon.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Bruno2
Bruno2 wrote
Looks ready!

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago that told me something interesting. He worked on a big ranch in AZ years ago. When I say years ago I am saying he will be 88 in August and this was when he was a young man. Joe Lynch is his name. Joe said on the ranch the work trucks had bumpers made of 4" pipe. The pipe had ends welded on as well as NPT bungs where air chucks were installed. Every morning they would pressure up the bumpers for a reservoir in case they needed it (apparently this was a BIG ranch) in order to not become stranded.
I have also heard the off road guys do the same and some times the roll cage.
They also use and old AC compressor, York piston type, as an air compressor run off the motor. They say there is enough oil in them not to worry for a bit.

Could also make up a fitting to fit in a spark plug hole, hook a hose to it and the other end to the flat tire. Start the motor and blow the tire up.

Gary, if the air tanks leak down I would stop at a station closer to the pickup site and fill the air tanks, the gas cans unless you need them for big blue, and fill up big blue.

I know the 12v lighter compressors are not great but are better than nothing.
When you are messing with other stuff it could be running and filling 1 of the air tanks.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure 12v compressors have gotten better, but back in the early 70's I had a Coleman unit that worked - slowly.  I had really wide rear tires on my '72 F250 due to the 9 1/2' self-contained camper it was carrying.  One Sunday we were ready to leave a campground and one of the tires was low.  I hooked up that compressor and we played several hands of cards before it was pumped up sufficiently.  

When you go overlanding you routinely "air down" to get as much tire width and traction as is possible.  But, when you get to the end of the trail it is time to "air up".  Big Blue's tires are probably as big as those on the '72, so I'm looking for more capacity than what I've seen in the 12v units.

Given that, the York I have is probably going to find its way onboard.  The bracket looks easy, so all I'll need is a serpentine clutch/pulley, a tank, a cutoff switch, and some wiring.  It might have really come in handy tomorrow.

But, you are right - I can fill up the leaking air tank when I get to Grove tomorrow, as well as fill up Big Blue's gas tank.  He only has the one 19 gallon tank, and the gauge is pegged on Full.  So, I'm carrying 10 gallons of "reserve", just in case.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
The 7.3 DI motors had air compressor options. I dont know if they had them in Ford applications or if it was other trucks that used air brakes. The 7.3 is an International motor so it was used by different truck manufacturers in many different applications. I have done some mild research, but havent found where I could get the bracketry and such.