Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

Bruno2
Gary, have you ever heard of these guys?

Gearhead Automotive Performance
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary, are you going to check the fuel mileage for this loaded and working trip?
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
I have also heard the off road guys do the same and some times the roll cage....
The thing that bothers me about that is all of the water you get in compressed air.  I don't like the idea of rusting my roll cage (or bumper) from the inside out.

FuzzFace2 wrote
....Could also make up a fitting to fit in a spark plug hole, hook a hose to it and the other end to the flat tire. Start the motor and blow the tire up....
I wouldn't do that unless you like putting gasoline in a rubber tire.  Neither having an explosive vapor in it or filling it with a solvent that softens rubber appeals to me.  There were (are?) products that screwed into a spark plug hole and used the engine compression to pump fresh air into the tire.  You could probably figure out how to make that too, but it's more complicated than just fittings and check valves.

FuzzFace2 wrote
....I know the 12v lighter compressors are not great but are better than nothing.
When you are messing with other stuff it could be running and filling 1 of the air tanks.
Dave ----
I really wouldn't bother with the cigarette lighter compressors.  But there are reasonably priced compressors that have clamps to hook directly to the battery which work fast enough that you can't get a hand of cards finished while waiting for it.  I think I paid about $50 for the one I have.  It takes under 5 minutes to bring one of my 33/10.50x15 tires from 15 to 35 psi after I've been 'wheeling.  And it's even capable of getting my truck tires to 80 psi (but that does get boring).  Nothing to get excited about, but I sure wouldn't get one of the really cheap ones when something like this is available.

And to Gary's later post, there are 12V compressors even much better than mine available too, but they get to be a lot of money ($200 - $500?).  A good engine-driven compressor is definitely the high-performance way to go.  But not all electrics are as bad as the one you are remembering.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nothing Special wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
I have also heard the off road guys do the same and some times the roll cage....
The thing that bothers me about that is all of the water you get in compressed air.  I don't like the idea of rusting my roll cage (or bumper) from the inside out.

FuzzFace2 wrote
....Could also make up a fitting to fit in a spark plug hole, hook a hose to it and the other end to the flat tire. Start the motor and blow the tire up....
I wouldn't do that unless you like putting gasoline in a rubber tire.  Neither having an explosive vapor in it or filling it with a solvent that softens rubber appeals to me.  There were (are?) products that screwed into a spark plug hole and used the engine compression to pump fresh air into the tire.  You could probably figure out how to make that too, but it's more complicated than just fittings and check valves.

FuzzFace2 wrote
....I know the 12v lighter compressors are not great but are better than nothing.
When you are messing with other stuff it could be running and filling 1 of the air tanks.
Dave ----
I really wouldn't bother with the cigarette lighter compressors.  But there are reasonably priced compressors that have clamps to hook directly to the battery which work fast enough that you can't get a hand of cards finished while waiting for it.  I think I paid about $50 for the one I have.  It takes under 5 minutes to bring one of my 33/10.50x15 tires from 15 to 35 psi after I've been 'wheeling.  And it's even capable of getting my truck tires to 80 psi (but that does get boring).  Nothing to get excited about, but I sure wouldn't get one of the really cheap ones when something like this is available.

And to Gary's later post, there are 12V compressors even much better than mine available too, but they get to be a lot of money ($200 - $500?).  A good engine-driven compressor is definitely the high-performance way to go.  But not all electrics are as bad as the one you are remembering.
Maybe not the roll bar as an air tank but the bumper is not that big a deal for rust. If it ever rust out when you have that truck I would be shocked!

I did think of the spark plug deal and fuel in the tires but thinking he is trying to blow up crap tires just to get it to roll and on the trailer, so what will it hurt?

On the 12 volt compressor, I had a set of air horns on my 86 K5 Blazer with a diesel.
The gas horns use a vacuum pump run off the vacuum of the motor to work the compressor. That would not work on the diesel so it comes with a 12v one.
It would build up to 125psi in short order. Even came with a hose you hooked to the air tank to blow up tires with and did a good job.

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Put a bleed cock in the bottom. Problem solved for $2.
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I built an air dryer out of an old A.C. coil for my shop air. As long as I am filling air up there I have no worries.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Brandon - I've not heard of them.

David - Yes, I'm checking gas mileage.  On the way over I got 8.3 MPG, but there was lots of idling to run the alternator while winching.  But I'll check the return MPG when I fill up tomorrow as it was late when I got back tonight.

Anyway, the trip went extremely well.  I had all the right tools, Big Blue towed the trailer quite well (although not as well as Blue), and the winch and electrical system worked perfectly.  In fact, the only problem we had, and that was minor, was that Big Blue still pings some on 91 octane gas when he's pulling a loaded trailer.  However, I was prepared for that possibility and had take a plug for the vacuum advance line - problem solved.

I had to drive through some pretty tall grass, weeds, and briars, but Big Blue didn't spin a tire.  However, I might not have been very happy if I'd taken my new truck, so I'm really glad I took Big Blue.

Here's a pic of the grass I had to drive through:

Here we are winching the '60 out of the ground.  It didn't have wheels on 3 of the corners, and while there was a wheel on the 4th it had absolutely no rubber.  Consequently all 4 corners were sunk well into the ground.  So it was a chore even getting a jack under something, and there was no way we could get it high enough to get a tire on, so we had to dig out enough to get the tires on.

But, we got the '60 out of the way and then winched the Malibu on the trailer to take to storage:

After taking the Malibu to storage in town and getting lunch, we went back to the farm and loaded the '60:

I can't imagine doing that job w/o a winch.  Several years ago we pulled the '50 Chevy pickup out from behind where the '60 was sitting, and we did it with a hand winch and a come-along, and that took us all day to load one vehicle.  Today we loaded two vehicles and unloaded one, all with the electric winch.  It just wouldn't have been possible w/o it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by Bruno2
THey have been doing custom tuning with the ecoboost motors. They are putting up some pretty impressive numbers with them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Core Tuning has, or soon will have, a custom tune for the EB.  And since I'm going to buy their package it doesn't cost much more to get that tune as well.

But I don't really need more power.  However, I would like a bit more MPG and the ability to tune the shift points some.  I was told that their tune does both of those, but when I am buying I'll research that a bit more.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Now that you are safely back, Gary, take a quick read of the prayer on the 1st page of the Bullnose Forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My prayers, plural, yesterday included the equivalent.  For sure!  

Several observations from yesterday that I didn't mention last night or that need restated:

Under heavy load, like the pickup and trailer, there's a buzz in the truck between about 55 and 60 MPH.  It isn't very strong, but it is there.  Not really a vibration in the way of something out of balance, but just the feeling of touching rotating machinery.  I'm thinking the torque required to move that much mass has the header against the frame and it is the vibration of the engine I'm feeling.  Dunno why it isn't there above or below that speed.

The glass packs have to go.  Now that the new window runs have muted the wind noise, the exhaust noise is ever-present.  But, when accelerating with a load it is obnoxious.  People turn and look.  

The tach is starting to have an erratic tick to it.  One thing , but that could cause that is an ignition problem, but it is doing it under load, with seemingly no glitch in the power and no change in the exhaust note.  Could switch out the tach for the one going in Dad's truck, but this one shouldn't do that.

The gas gauge is stuck on Full+.  I've checked the wiring and pulling the connector from the tank sends the gauge to zero, there's pulsing voltage to the connector, and placing it back on sends it above Full.  So the sending unit is apparently stuck.  Its been that way for a week or two and I'd hoped that a long trip and bouncing around as it did would cause it to start working again, but not dice.

Interestingly enough, those ills will be fixed as a result of the upgrade to EFI that is planned for Big Blue.  The EFI heads have different exhaust openings so I can't use the existing headers.  The exhaust that came on Huck will bolt back on to those heads, but the pipes are cut in the perfect place to have Magnaflow mufflers installed.  As for the tach, I'm assuming that the EEC-V system will drive it, so at least the ignition system will be completely different.  And the sending unit will have to be completely different so that problem should be solved.

Is that reason enough to do the swap?  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Is that reason enough to do the swap?  
Absolutely! Tell Janey that it is a sign...
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the tach signal for the EFI systems is still from the coil - side so it should not be an issue. Look at your parts fiches some time or the CD for tach PNs, I think you will find that other than Diesels, one size fits all because the 1985.5-1986 5.0L EFI used a TFI module on the distributor and apparently the 1988-89 460 EFI had it there too. That should show if there was a different tach for the EFI and non-EFI.

The only difference I have found is there is a wire that is grounded for 8 cyl and left open for 6 cyl to make it count either 4 or 3 pulses per 1 rpm.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Bill.  Thanks.

Another issue or three that will be corrected as a result of the swap:

Brake master is leaking at the cap and there's another brake fluid spot on the driveway.  But I have the F350 master from Jim, which has the plastic reservoir and single plastic cap, and that will fix the problem.

Dipstick: The one that's in there is an aftermarket round one, and it is all but impossible to get to and cannot be removed w/o wiping it on the side of something coming out.  But in the swap Huck's pan and later style o-ringed dipstick tube will be installed, so problem solved.

Oil leaks: Yesterday's run has new/more oil thrown from the front main as well as from the rear of the intake manifold, so now there are more oil drops on the drive.  But, as said, Huck's pan will go on in the EFI installation, and I'll install new front and rear main seals as well as do the lower plenum up well.

So, yes I can tell Janey it is NEEDED!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Justify: (root meaning Mechanic’s English)

Slang contraction of the phrase “just if I...”

Just if I upgraded to EFI that would be the end of my carburetor problems...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Bruno2
Good to here the trip was uneventful but it does not give a good story when the time comes
Like the Hollywood wheel I had or should say lost on a trailer when going to CA.
It was dusk just passing a big rig when I was checking the mirrors when I saw sparks coming from 1 of the 4 wheels.
I got it all pulled over safely and sure enough 1 wheel is gone, lug gone and studs chewed up...........
Yep 1 of the many stories from that trip out to CA and back to CT, oh it was the first week of Dec too!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Works for me.  In fact, with today's revelation that the fuel system is leaking, and the realization that all of that will be replaced with EFI, I have one more reason backing up the "justifI".

Yeah, I've had trips like that.  But this one went off smoothly.  Our biggest problem was the right rear wheel refusing to rotate.  We loosened the park brake cable - no dice.  We removed the driveshaft - no dice.  So we winched the truck on with the tire dragging, and tied it to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it on the other end.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Motor will have to come out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the plan, Stan.  The question is when.  Gotta get Dad's truck ready for the show first.

By the way, I got the bill of sale for Huck in the mail yesterday, so can now dispose of him.  

Oh yes, have you seen the Member's Map?  The map resides here in the menu (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) , but the discussion thereof is in the Member's Map thread.  I took the liberty of adding you, albeit not as Willing To Help as that seemed a bit too presumptuous.  But, I can change that or delete you from the map if you want.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
That is fine Gary. I am happy to help.