303 messages Options
1 ... 1213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Norwegian F250, 1984, 460, 2wd

Papelione
Status now is:

Rear tank installed with cut out from a old yoga Matt as vibrations dampening.

Everything from rear tank to TSV is new, made a filler neck hose out of a new one that was suppose to fit the front tank, filler neck turned out fine after the acid treatment.

Alu tubing was a pleasure working with. Installed until I get til AN fittings so I can see were to cut them.

When the fittings arrive I think Im done and will test it and put back the bed, looking forward to first test run with new pumps.

Hope you all are well.

Picture from today.

1984, F250, 2wd, 460, manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Great progress!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Papelione
Well done, Christian!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Thx guys

Kept on with final hose and fuel line fitting today, got the rear lines and hoses fitted, but when I put the power plug on the rear fuel pump, pump starts running!

The plug has power even with key in off position, no blinking.

Obviously this a something that needs sorting out before I can get the bed back on

With key in "run", rear pump cuts out and front pump runs, if I I switch tank to rear in "run" rear tank will run.

If I read the diagram right neither pump should be running if Oil pressure is not closed which it only should in "crank" or with engine running?

Don't mind the red box it was from a earlier post:=)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, that's not right.  There should only be power in Start or in Run with the oil pressure switch closed.

If it was me I'd do these tests in Run but with engine off:

Check the Pink/black wire at the tank selector relay.  It should not have power in Run w/the engine off, and if it does you need to figure out why.

Pull the fuel pump cutoff relay out and see if the power on the pink/black wire goes away.

Put the relay back - does it click as you install it?  Shouldn't, but if it doesn't and yet there's now power on the pink/black wire the relay may be welded shut

If the relay clicks when you put it back that suggests that it isn't welded shut but is being pulled in.
 See that the R/Y wire to the fuel pump cutoff relay doesn't have power

Does that make sense?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Thx Gary

Its night time here now, earlier and earlier.....
But could´nt wait

Check the Pink/black wire at the tank selector relay.  It should not have power in Run w/the engine off, and if it does you need to figure out why.

It does have power, with key in "off"

Pull the fuel pump cutoff relay out and see if the power on the pink/black wire goes away.

It stays on

Put the relay back - does it click as you install it?  Shouldn't, but if it doesn't and yet there's now power on the pink/black wire the relay may be welded shut

No clicking

If the relay clicks when you put it back that suggests that it isn't welded shut but is being pulled in.
 See that the R/Y wire to the fuel pump cutoff relay doesn't have power

It does not

If pink and blk wire is always hot, that mean fuse link T is always hot, even though it should only be hot in start.

Fuse link T is powered via the starter relay, and therefore should be placed at "S" terminal there.

But to me it looks like it is placed directly to the + terminal at the battery.

Might that be the reason to this, and placing it at the "S" terminal would solve the problem?

Pink arrow shows Fuse link T current position

/Christian
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes!  Fuse Link T is in the wrong spot.  It should be on the other side of the fender-mounted starter relay, and that should solve the problem.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Got a little work done today.

Finished connecting the tubes and hoses with the AN fuel fittings, they where nice to work with.
Also placed Fuse link T at "I" terminal, that made it right pumps will only start in "start".

Tested with truck in idle, and happy to report that rear system works (pump and sender) and connections are dry.

Same thing with the front system.

Feels like I now have a more reliable setup, safer none the least.

Also the shear coolness of having two tanks and being able to switch between them, love that Im back to stock setup.

Still haven't seen Motorcraft pumps, have you guys?

Next is bed install:=)

(Picture of AN fittings rear tube connecting to TSV hoses.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Christian!!!!  

That looks very good.  And you have two tanks.  Cool!

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Spring at last.

It has been long 6 month since "Brownie" went in to winter storage.
A lot has happened during that time. And many times I missed tinkering with the truck.
Spring is coming to Narvik again, (snowing today though).

The dual tank project was finished I thought, a couple of days after the last post. The sender unit on the front pump stopped sending, and I couldn't fill the front tank at anything other than extremely slow.

Truck is in garage and I will once again take of the bed, and change the pump and check for kinks in the filler hose og if the tank vent cap is not working, new parts is in place.

Cant wait to get started again :=)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome back!  

Sorry you are having problems again.  But before you pull the bed you might want to pull the wire off the sender and ground it to make sure that it really is the sender.

Regarding the problem filling the tank, what tank and filler neck did you install?  I ask because a Bullnose tank won't work very well with a later filler.  Otherwise, you may have a kink in the vent hose.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
In reply to this post by Papelione
Hi.
Hello from the other Norwegian  Will be interesting following your work.
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
It was with a heavy head I finished my work on the truck sunday night.

Pulled the bed and installed the new pump, neither sender nor pump worked.
Brand new pump, had to install the old one. At least the pump works.
Last year I tested the sender function on the wire going to the pump with the rear pump and it worked fine....
So that will that for now, I have the dual pump setup, and the rear has a sender that work, I will have to do with the front without sender.

Next up is installing a overhauled carburetor, ordered a remanufactured from Summit, It should be here in the beginning of June. The old one is working fine besides from start up. Fast idle cam is not activated. From what I can see there is a arm with a screw that should lift it when I press the gas pedel, and that arm is gone. And the Im just treating my self to a "new cleaned and sealed" carb and will be sending the core back, or just clean and repack it for the joy of it.

Tomorrow Im going to the workshop to get a quote on the job of fixing a couple of dents and scratches.

Nice with a fellow Norwegian Bullnose, where are you located?

Best regards
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two steps forward and one back is till progress, and progress is good!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Quote was 2500-3000 dollars Maybe more.
Too much for me unfortunately, thought i Will give it a go myself.

Couldnt fine colour codes in documentation, where should i look?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The codes are at Documentation/Specifications/Exterior Paint Codes.

Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Found it now:=), any recommendations where to find spraycans in right colour?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Here in the US most body shop supply will mix and fill spray cans with 2K for any paint code you can find.

I imagine in Norway they might not have 40 year old American codes in their computer.
But I'm sure if you have the correct data for whatever paint line they use they can mix and fill them for you.

In the US, DuPont, PPG and Sherwin Williams are probably the big three with two or three tiers or different lines of paint each.
What is used in Northern Europe?
ICI and Glasurit?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Papelione
Hi

I must say I don't know:=)

But it might be similar here, found a Norwegian online paint store , that mixes by code and fills it on spray cans.

Base color is light desert tan and stripes are dark walnut metallic.

Order of work is:

Contour duplicator to make a copy of the wheel arch where it´s not dented
Try to hammer out the dent as good as possible.
Sand
thin layer of filler
more filler and use the copy of contour.
sand
filler

when happy prime
spray paint
gloss coat

drink a beer with a smile on the face.

project pictures

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The paint codes can be found here:. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-paint-codes.html

But this doesn't show what base or pigment needs added.
I do not know if there is any cross reference either.
I would seriously doubt the information available in a database for the current generation of computer controlled mixers.
Though if the volumes were known I'm sure someone could punch them in manually.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
1 ... 1213141516