My '82 Flareside

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
138 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My '82 Flareside

PetesPonies
Thanks. I do want an headliner. Thought I could d it with metal trim. That isn't the case, so I need the plastic pieces. I have a headliner design I'm looking forward to using  ;)
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - First, I have two upper door hinges that have the S-spring.

Second, I have some of what you need to install a headliner.  Here's the diagram from this page: Interior/Rear Corner Trim:

Of that, I have the piece that goes above the windshield (03606), although you may already have that.  And I have the two pieces that go above the doors (51756), the one that goes above the rear window (42410), and the one that goes below the rear window (42456).  But, I don't have spares of the ones that go on the A-pillar (03598) nor the B-pillar one.  In fact, I need to find good ones of those for Dad's truck.

Anyway, any and all of the above is your for the shipping cost.  Here's a pic of the tan set that I have, but I also have a blue set.  I see in this pic that the piece that goes above the windshield has a bit of a bend, and while it isn't noticeable you are welcome to the blue one if you'd rather.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
First of all thanks!!  If the one above the windshield is the same ( not sure why it would be different ) then I have that. But the other four would be great. Is there special attaching clips/hardware or such needed?
And I do need a drivers side hinge or spring. My '83 Bronco has the S spring as well, when did they switch?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like the piece above the windshield is the same, regardless, as there is only one part number.

As for the hinges, they apparently changed in '88 as the prefix on the part number shown below is "E8".  But they obviously fit back through 1980.  Anyway, I'd guess that the different hinge came in with the new hinge in '88.

Shoot me an email with your address and I'll get the stuff shipped in a couple of days, although things are pretty busy at the mo and it may be early next week.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
I certainly didn't intend on the truck being down for so long after I bought it. Its going to be a DD truck, but I had things I wanted to change. Now I'm waiting to find some interior trim pieces before I finish the interior . . and start driving it. Anyway, I got the wheels painted I wanted to use and have a cap on one . .

.  so here it is. I will be painting the roof and the tailgate letters the same color I painted the wheels.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting choice of wheel color.  I'm waiting on an overall view of the truck to see what I think of it.  But, I'm sure it'll be great.  

As for the length of time, I have never seen someone say it went faster than they expected.  

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
It's 1965 Tropical Turquoise. I think I said long ago, I like older things, so I always incorporate them when I can. Paint is easy. I'm keeping the grille area stock, which is saying something for me  :)  That's why this will be an easy one. Just some old paint and wheel caps.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It does give it a much older look.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
It's 1965 Tropical Turquoise. I think I said long ago, I like older things, so I always incorporate them when I can. Paint is easy. I'm keeping the grille area stock, which is saying something for me  :)  That's why this will be an easy one. Just some old paint and wheel caps.
I like your vintage direction. I think that's why I like the 80/81's so much. It's the little touches like thread on gear shift knobs and metal fender badges that give them a more antique feel. The 80/81 grille feels "older" to me as well and I like it. I like your wheels more than the fancy spider man looking aluminum wheels that are all the rage these days. Especially on the diesel groups I see a lot of kids trying to "update" the look of their trucks with carbon fiber wrap, industrial themed paint and trim, etc., It's everywhere and it looks awful. At least to my taste. I'm with Gary, I am looking forward to a view of the finished product.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I think I posted some stuff before, but here are some of my "creations"

'84 BII with '66 Bronco grille

'89 Ranger, with earlier front sheet metal and a '61 F100 grille. Rear bumper is a fullsize, cut down as well.

My '83 Bronco with a '64 F100 grille being adapted. Not done this.

And others, can't find pics now  :) OH, and motorcycles too, make them look older.

Turned this . . . .

into this . . .

and even a seventies Yamaha into a sixties British bike LOL

Ok I'll stop, you know enough now  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - Those are cool projects!  You obviously have an eye and talent for that. 👍

I’m curious, is the BII’s width pretty close to the early Bronco’s width?  It looks like the early grille fit almost perfectly, but is that because it did or because you made it look like it?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
That was by far the easiest. The width of the early Grille is very close, once you remove the part of the grille that forms the front of the fenders.Google ab EB grille and you will see what I mean. But once you cut that off, what is left is very close. You just have to figure mounting. The Ranger had that '61 grille cut in two places. I removed 7" from each side, then welded it back. Rear bumper, 6" from each side. The '83 Bronco with the '64, will definitely be the most challenging. I have cut about 2 inches on each side I believe, then welded back together o get it close in length. Length is not the challenge though. As wide as a Bullnose is, you wouldn't think the '64 was considerably wider, but it is. But making it fit the Bullnose front end is the problem. I'll get it, just needs a lot more work. I've been working on the rest of the body lately.I put a '73 front on a '79 F100. That is a bolt up except for the headlight buckets. The '79 had square, so I had to add round buckets and had to mount them. Not too difficult in comparison.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for that explanation. I wouldn’t have expected the ‘64 to be wider than a Bullnose. Keep us posted on those projects. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I found the other interior trim pieces I needed to add a headliner. So I am recoloring them today. Gary sent me a few of the metal trim pieces, in tan. I can tell you that the Colorbond Saddle is a perfect match for the tan that was on the trim originally. Saddle is the color I'm using for my interior. Not sure what year the pieces are from Gray sent, he can tell us that.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those were from an '82.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Well that is cool, meaning I'm using a stock color for my '82
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep - You can verify the name of the color here: Specifications/Body Codes.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
My interior was originally red, but changed by a previous owner. However, it wasn't done very well. So I redid it all and just liked the way Saddle looks. I had used Saddle previously. So I guess it is a match for Fawn as the stock '82 color?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be my guess.  I don't have the certification label off that truck so don't really know.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Here's a pic of all the interested parties . . .

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco