classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
138 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My '82 Flareside

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
The paint marker works best. It is easy to use and even spreads across the delicate needle easily. The neon orange is a great color, looks factory. As for how well it holds up . . . who sits their collector cars in the sun 365 days a year? Now here we're talking about trucks . and not so pampered, so I'll be finding out just as anyone else is  :)

Yes that full printed circuit would be nice. But I made the needed changes, so lets see if it works. I could have run just wires and used the posts to connect on two of them, but since I was soldering anyway, I went and soldered all three. If not, I'd be glad to buy one.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That should do it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Green is the 1980 year specific printed circuit film, 81-86 is a reddish color. Are all your indicator lights across the top working as they should?

And was it you who was looking for the non-headliner seat belt retractor covers? I found the ones from my parts truck and they are a bit rough... but if they are any better than what you have I will gladly send them your way for the price of shipping.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The PO ( who wasn't the most mechanical guy ) got into the dash cluster. He changed the lights across the top, added new lenses for each etc. Not sure what and why he did stuff there. ( you can see soldered wires up there in the pic above  ) I'll take a pic of what was done to it tomorrow before I install it. See if you can make any rhyme or reason for what he did  :)  yes i was asking about the seat belt covers. I'll have to look closely at mine. Mine might be about the same condition. i want to add a headliner, so . .  I do have the chrome headliners trim from an older truck I could use and not mess with what I have as far as plastic trim . . or try and upgrade to the plastic pieces. Is the A pillar piece the same for both? Mine was rounded edges at the top that doesn't seem likt it would go with the piece over the door.Thanks for the offer and I will let you know.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The indicator light mayhem is likely from using the green circuit film. It does not jive with the 1981 and up wire harness or the '81+ Instrument bezel lens order. Since he did all the other odd things, I will assume he did not re-pin the plug in which is the less invasive way to deal with it. If you use a red circuit film it should correct the lights *unless* he switched the lens order around by gluing in different lenses. On 81+ the lens order from left to right is:

(Blank)/upshift/emissions
Left turn arrow
Seat belts
High beam
Brake
Right turn arrow
4x4

Edit: yes, the headliner A pillar covers are different. Instead of the rounded end they have a square end that mates with the trim piece that goes above the door.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
So here's a pic of the wiring the PO added. Also there are some black "modules" he added as well. So I hooked it up and the left and right turn signals work as they should.However, to the left of the left turn signal light ( which is supposed to be black ) and to the right of the right turn signal light ( again should be blank ) these LED MODULES ARE INSTALLED. aND THEY ALSO WORK WITH the  TURN SIGNAL AND ARE GREEN COLORED on their own. Where the seat belt light is . .it comes on when I turn the key. I don't have the headlight switch installed to see about the high beam light.
The bad news, no tach yet. I have continuity from the connector slot to the tach connections. So either I have a bad tach or the wires feeding the connector are open.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The modules are just lights?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Here's the money shot:

Yes Gary, I believe so. All they do is light up with the turn signal. Could they be part of an alarm ???? The PO had an alarm installed.I've never seen anything like them. It appears to be LED.

To get the tach working, couple things. First and foremost, although I had the picture of what wires to use . . I attached the ground wire to the wrong terminal . . .duh. Then, the battery pin t the connector, slides out slightly as you insert the plug. I had to push it back all the way in, once the connector was in. And thirdly, the face of the tach was crooked and the needle touched, making it stop moving. Fixed those three things and it works, as the pic shows..
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
 Congrat's!  Tach looks good. 👍

As for the LED's, I suspect he was just fixing a known problem - the turn signal bulbs are frequently directly behind the steering wheel.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
All back in, so getting here.Still much to do to finish the interior. as for the LED modules . .well the turn signal bulbs light . . . they both come on.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good. And you won’t miss the turn signals flashing. 😉

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I'l take a pic, not sure what you mean won't miss them flashing. They work as they should, it's just that the module/LED comes on too and flashes with the correct signal bulb.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just saying that it will be hard for both windows to hide behind the steering wheel, so you won’t miss them.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Here's the A pillar trim at the top. Is this different than the one that has the trim go above the door?
Also, got the kick panels in, and the metal sill plates. Painted the glove box and ash tray and installed them. Next is the A trim and door panels.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that A-pillar trim is different. The other has a square tongue that sticks out to the rear instead of the rounded piece that yours has.

Anyway, it is looking good. 👌

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
F834, I looked closely at my belt covers and mine are about the same, maybe even a tad better. So thanks, but I'll deal with mine. I still want to do a headliner, so if not using the metal trim I have . I'll need all new plastic trim anyway. I haven't tried the metal trim yet to see if it will work.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The metal headliner trim won't fit the roof of this Bullnose. So, if I want a headliner, I need the plastic pieces. Anyone have a full set? I assume the piece going across the windshield is the same, if so, i would need everything else.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I may have a full set, but if I do I doubt the pieces are all the same color. And, I'm not going to be able to check for a couple of days. So you may get a better offer first. 😉

On Monday, October 23, 2017, PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The metal headliner trim won't fit the roof of this Bullnose. So, if I want a headliner, I need the plastic pieces. Anyone have a full set? I assume the piece going across the windshield is the same, if so, i would need everything else.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/My-82-Flareside-tp2278p2883.html
To start a new topic under Projects, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml%2Bs12971n74h78@n8.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml+s12971n74h78@...
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Certainly do not care about color, just condition. Thanks
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Sounds like you may be looking for headliner style trim pieces, but if you do end up keeping the non-headliner design I realized I actually have another set of the retractor covers in my 1981. I want to go with a headliner, so if you do end up wanting these, they are available. The crumbly parts seem to be right around the slots for the belts: