138 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My '82 Flareside

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
So I thought a rust area at the windshield could be letting water drip into the "A" pillar and bounce as I described, to the floor. The latter is true, but it wasn't a hole from the windshield area. Someone had installed an antenna on this truck. They bored a 1" hole through the upper side of the fender. What is directly behind that, is the "A" pillar. The mount for the antenna was too large to fit between the pillar and fender , so they also bored through the "A" pillar. They didn't seal it at all. Water was traveling down the antenna lead, dripping onto the threaded hinge plates and bouncing to the floor. It was  a PITA to fix, without removing the fender. These Bullnose fenders are also a PITA to remove, so I didn't want to do that. I loosened the fender at the door end and got as much extra room as I could. I used a body plug an sealer to make sure no more water entered there . . .dry floor now. Whew.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
With the leaks fixed, carpet goes in. Question . . did the trucks that came with carpet OEM have plastic sill plates or metal?

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good progress!  Finding the leak from the antenna was good detective work.  

As for the "sills", you need to start calling them by the right name!  
  (That's what I call them as well.  )  The catalog doesn't have "sills" nor "thresholds".  But, it does have "scuff plates", and since I don't like answering a question several times I created a web page for this: Interior/Sill Plates.  However, that page doesn't exactly answer the question of whether plastic was used as the catalog says "bright" and "black".  But, a bit further down it has this for the R & B vehicles:

That is the only mention of plastic in the catalog for scuff plates.  And, since you can't really ensure that just because the catalog says or doesn't say anything it proves something, I'm not sure.

Here's a snip from the Literature/1982 Pickup Brochure:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In the Mustang restoration world, they are sill plates. For that reason, they will always be sill plates to me :) However,scuff plates, does come up and of course I know what people are talking about. My truck came with a black rubber mat and black plastic sill plates. Black in the book, means plastic. So I guess then the carpeted trucks got the aluminum; metal. I'd rather have the metal . . . . . so looking for those now. Thanks
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds like Gary, you are slowly peeling the onion layer by layer. My 86 came with the aluminum plates, extruded with ribs on the back, all 4 doors.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Just because people call them "sills" doesn't make them that.  Officially they are "scuff plates", as shown on the page above, and this from the 1980 - 89 Ford/Mercury car master parts catalog.  

PetesPonies wrote
In the Mustang restoration world, they are sill plates. For that reason, they will always be sill plates to me :) However,scuff plates, does come up and of course I know what people are talking about. My truck came with a black rubber mat and black plastic sill plates. Black in the book, means plastic. So I guess then the carpeted trucks got the aluminum; metal. I'd rather have the metal . . . . . so looking for those now. Thanks

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Not sure why you are drawing a line in the sand here. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed. First, I've been around the Mustang world ( vintage Mustangs ) for a long time. I bought my first in 1974. I started restoring for money in 1983, legit in 1990. In most cases, I'm spot on, I better be in my world. I said, in the Mustang world, they are known as sill plates. You found a problem with that whereas I thought I was being cordial, no? Below is a Ford document scan and as you can plainly see, Ford called them a sill plate. I am aware that over time the plates started being called scuff plates. Whether it was a corporate decision, different writers, whatever. As I eluded to . . I learned and called them sill plates from the 60s, because that is what Ford called them. Even my '57 Bird has a "sill plate". I find this a small problem and  why I am so surprised you want to make a big deal about it?

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’m sorry, I certainly didn’t mean to offend you. It was actually my lame attempt at humor.   Here you and I and the rest of the world are calling them a sill plate, but Ford calls them a scuff plate.  However, now I see they called them both.

And I’m not suggesting we change. In fact, I labeled my new page “Sill Plates”.

Again, I didn’t mean to offend you. At all. I just thought it was funny.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
OK, sorry I took it wrong. If I was 30 years, no probably 20 years younger, I'd say "my bad" LOL  ( I hate that saying )Yes, they were sill plates in Ford literature in the '50s and '60s for sure, probably 70s too, not really sure, never though to research it :) How names change? I mean there were a few writers, managers etc . .maybe one decided to change it on a whim? Or a calculated corporate decision? :) I just wanted to make sure you realized that there are Ford documents with that name used.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
As for these "plates", I just took the ones from my Bronco, they are aluminum. They'll be fine. And since I am using a rubber mat in the Bronco, I'll use my black plastic ones in the Bronco, win/win . . no money exchanged.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you understood. I THINK what I was trying to say is that everyone but Ford knows they are "sills".  IOW, you can call them "scuff plates" but we know better. However, in the light of day that didn't come across - even to me.

Anyway, it looks like you have things going well. Mix and match. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Old ones do get scuffed badly. Especially ones that are not ridged. The ridges seems to hide the wear more.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have been planning to powder coat the ones for Dad’s truck. However, not all powder finishes are created equal. The clear isn’t as durable as an opaque finish, and the textured finishes seem delicate as well. So I’m not sure what to do yet.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
After reading this thread, I looked at my truck [original 1986 with rubber mat] and it has the aluminum ones. Later, I will have to check my son's truck [original 1984 with rubber mat], but I believe it has the black plastic ones.

Gary, 2 or 3 years ago, you acquired a set of aluminum ones from me. Are those the ones you are using for Dad's Truck?
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Here's something some of you may not know. ABS plastic is used a lot on vehicles. many try and fix it with epoxies, etc. But you can get ABS cement/solvent at the home stores. It is used for plumbing. It dissolves the ABS for a true fix. Sometimes a bit with a soldering iron first, then ABS cement and you have a great repair. Here I used the cement to fix the radio bezel. This was a non-DIM radio and the previous owner cut it out and didn't do so well :) They had this plate to cover, but it didn't cover the hole right. I did a bit of trimming, used the ABS cement to attach the pieces, front and back, painted it afterwards and here you go. I have used the ABS cement to fix motorcycle side covers, lot of things.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
And now trying to get the AC flapper/doors to operate. I said on another post, mine wants to blow at the windshield only. The cable for outside air blend, works fine. But I have no operation of either vacuum actuator. I can manually move the actuator arm and the air will redirect as it should. So I have a vacuum issue or an actuator issue, or both. And why I said or both is . .  I feel no vacuum signal coming from any of the 4 lines. I didn't have the right size hose to fit the actuator exactly . .but when I tried to draw a vacuum n it, the actuator didn't budge, and air kept coming in . .  no vacuum. So either the hose was at fault as it wasn't as tight as it should be, or the actuator is in fact bad as well . .which means both the vacuum source and actuator is bad  :) I included a pic i have from my '83 Ford books ( my truck is an '82 ). Unlike the pic, my vacuum come from the intake, then to a horizontal "tee" or manifold, mounted on the firewall. The pic doesn't show it that way. I then have a hose coming off that tee or manifold, going to a very small plastic vacuum reservoir, with a check valve in the line and another tee. There was another very small vacuum line hooked to it, but going nowhere. I capped it off. So basically, my source from the intake manifold going to the small plastic vacuum line manifold on the firewall. Another line coming from that to the vacuum reservoir with an inline check valve. Pretty simple, all lines look good, but didn't check the condition of the reservoir . .yet. The controller inside is difficult to maneuver well enough to really get at it . . but I need to make sure the source vacuum is getting to the controller. . . .because as I said, getting no vacuum at any of the lines leaving the controller. Thoughts? Does the '82 pc look any different than this?Maybe not detailed enough to show how the lines are actually run on the engine side?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
PetesPonies wrote
I feel no vacuum signal coming from any of the 4 lines. I didn't have the right size hose to fit the actuator exactly . .but when I tried to draw a vacuum n it, the actuator didn't budge, and air kept coming in . .  no vacuum. So either the hose was at fault as it wasn't as tight as it should be, or the actuator is in fact bad as well . .which means both the vacuum source and actuator is bad  :) I included a pic i have from my '83 Ford books ( my truck is an '82 ). Unlike the pic, my vacuum come from the intake, then to a horizontal "tee" or manifold, mounted on the firewall. The pic doesn't show it that way. I then have a hose coming off that tee or manifold, going to a very small plastic vacuum reservoir, with a check valve in the line and another tee.

There was another very small vacuum line hooked to it, but going nowhere. I capped it off.

So basically, my source from the intake manifold going to the small plastic vacuum line manifold on the firewall. Another line coming from that to the vacuum reservoir with an inline check valve. Pretty simple, all lines look good, but didn't check the condition of the reservoir . .yet. The controller inside is difficult to maneuver well enough to really get at it . . but I need to make sure the source vacuum is getting to the controller. . . .because as I said, getting no vacuum at any of the lines leaving the controller. Thoughts? Does the '82 pc look any different than this?Maybe not detailed enough to show how the lines are actually run on the engine side?
I'm thinking that tiny plastic tube you capped off is what supplies the HVAC control panel.

All that stuff is part of the HVAC plumbing and generally isn't depicted in engine-control diagrams.

The reservoir maintains vacuum so the vents to fall back to defrost during periods of low engine vacuum (pulling uphill, for example).

A hand-held vacuum pump can be used to test the vacuum solenoid thingers.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
I couldn't find my Mityvac. Some things I haven't found since the move south. But my lips work well, still need the proper size vacuum hose :)
I assumed the backside of the plastic manifold, on the firewall, had a hose going inside to the controller.Hmmm. Here is what I have and the slight difference from what I found in the '83 book.

This pic is from this site . . . .  and it is close to what I have.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/1806833_orig.jpg
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If your system is like all I’ve seen, there is no line from the back of that little distribution block or manifold into the cab. As Chris said, it should be the line you have capped off. That system is shown here in a picture that you can click on to make bigger: Underhood/Vacuum Systems.

What usually happens is the little line gets brittle and breaks where it goes into the cab. So you’ll have to get creative to fix it. How much of yours is left sticking out?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - I do believe those are the ones I'm using. But, I've lost track of what I have and from whence it came.

12345 ... 7