classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
713 messages Options
1 ... 3233343536
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Little Blue 82

Ray Cecil
Sheeeew....been awhile since I posted in this thread. The up side to the pandemic is that I am finally getting around to finishing some little projects here and there.

Yesterday evening I installed the Offenhauser C Series. Now.....I know I don't have a proper carb or Fitech solution yet....but I have a brand new 600cfm Edelbrock sitting on the shelf. So, to get it running, I am throwing that on there.

Today I am running to go get some fuel line, and an air cleaner.

I sold the 69' Chevy Impala Monday, so I am a few thousand dollars richer, not to mention I've made a bunch of money in the stock market this week. I bought a bunch of stock Monday at Market open, and was handsomely rewarded for my timing. I hope you all took advantage of the best stock buying opportunity since 2008!!!

So, with those gains.....I am seriously thinking about going Fitech. But....the ease of a carb....and the price of a carb.....hard to pull the trigger on FI. But I am not ruling it out.

Ya'll help me decide.

Cory, I think you mentioned a few months ago that you wanted my stock air-cleaner assembly. If you still want it, email me and I will ship it to you if you still need it.

So awhile back I was dreaming of doing an eco-boost swap....not ready for that. I am still enjoying the 300. But, maybe the eco-boost swap is in the near future....how cool would that be?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Okay, without taking my valve cover off to see for myself.....my stock 300 rocker studs.....are they press in or screw in? I'm finding mixed opinions on other websites. Seems like the 3/8" screw in studs started in 85'? Can anyone confirm this? If I have the screw in studs, I am going to get a set of chevy rockers to increase the lift.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking at the Illustrations tab on our page on the 300 six (Documentation/Engines/300 Six) a rocker arm bolt/stud is generic part # 6A527.  Looking on the Part Numbers tab I see that 1980-84 used one part number, apparently a stud, and '85 on used a bolt.

On the fuel system, since you have the Eddy I'd put it on and see what you think.  If you like it then why change?  If not, perhaps then it is time for FI?

As for the stock market, no I didn't.  Glad you did and now you can buy more parts!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I believe the studs are pressed in.

Perhaps this information will be of assistance:

by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER ยป Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:35 pm
Regarding head studs and rocker arms I have seen many posts by puzzled visitors. This may be because there are several kinds:

Early engines had pressed in studs of a nominal diameter of 3/8 inch and a 3/8-NF thread on the end. These studs were for rockers of the adjustable variety, using a locking nut to maintain the proper adjustment height. The rockers may have looked like the cast type or the stamped type.

Later, some heads had pressed in studs of a nominal diameter of 3/8 inch and a 5/16-NF thread on the end. These studs were for non-adjustable rockers in that the 5/16 nut was intended to be torqued down tightly against the 3/8 shoulder. All adjustment was taken up in the lifter preload.

I'm pretty sure heads of the above two types all had slotted pushrod holes to maintain rocker alignment with the end of the valve. These slotted holes need to be carefully milled out to .380 / .385 if 3/8" pushrods are to be used. Or, alternatively, they could be enlarged and pushrod guide plates installed with screw-in studs.

Finally, late model carbed engines and all EFI engines used a pedastal mounted stamped rocker arm that was held down by 5/16-NC cap screws. These also are of the non-adjustable variety. The heads have round pushrod clearance holes. Rocker alignment is maintained by stamped steel channel pieces that capture two adjacent fulcrums. Installing screw-in studs in these heads requires using pushrod guideplates.

Regarding screw-in studs: The pressed-in studs may be removed and the resultant hole used as a pilot for the 7/16-NC stud. This usually requires milling the boss down to get the screw-in stud at the correct height. Screw-in studs have either a 3/8 nominal size or a 7/16 nominal size (but they all use a 7/16 threaded hole) and the hole in the rocker fulcrums must match the size of stud you are using.

Good luck.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Thanks for the replies guys.

So I got it fired up. Man oh man....I cannot do ANYTHING to get the idle down to an acceptable rpm. I've tried all combinations of timing, idle mixture screws, and idle set screw....the dag-gum thing is just over carbed. If I press hard on the throttle lever to try to close the primary butterflys better, I can get it to idle better....so I am a little bit confused as to why that is.

Am I over carbed, or are the butterfly valves not closing all the way? I do have a heavy return spring installed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I forgot to mention, I do have a 1" carb spacer installed. That was needed in order to get the carb high enough for return spring and throttle cable brackets.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Fast idle and idle speed screws are backed all the way out, and it still idles high....I push on the lever to jamb the butterflys closed and it stops idling....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you have a large vacuum leak.  Try David's smoke test.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I thought the same thing initially, I haven't found a leak yet. Only two ports on the manifold, they are plugged. Manifold is making good contact with head/gasket, no open ports on carb. I will try the water spray test to see if I can get a change in idle that way. Smoke would get blown all over the place with the fan going. Unless you mean with the engine off and pressuring the manifold. I may try plugging the pcv port, brake booster port and see if that changes anything.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, smoke is done with the engine off, blowing into a vacuum hose and seeing where it comes out.  But plug all ports first to see what is happening.

And check the fit of the carb to the intake manifold.  Or squirt brake cleaner there.  There are problems sometimes getting an Eddy to seal to the intake.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Disconnect the throttle cable, to assure it is not binding.

Perhaps the openings in the spacer are a little too small and the butterflies are sticking.

I don't think the engine is over carbureted. Many are successfully using 500-650 CFM carburetors.

Don't forget to cover the carburetor opening for the smoke test. Duct tape works fine.

My son's 4.9L idled @ ~1300 RPMs with a hole in the end of 1 very well hidden vacuum cap.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Golden post right there David!  

I do sometimes wish we had a Rep system, like back at FTE.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Okay.....I am a doom azz.....while you were responding, I was double checking. My throttle cable was just a smidge too tight. I loosened it a hair and now the thing idles just perfect.

So...I am perhaps not done tuning the thing. I am not noticing a significant power increase. It revs MUCH faster, but under load I would say its a marginal increase on the butt dyno, if anything at all. Maybe that increase in flow helps with top end but does nothing for low end torque. I have not had it out on the highway yet and opened it up.

So....cam suggestions? I see I don't have the screw in studs....so rocker arms are out of the question....hmmm....Maybe I should just get a High Po head and do a cam swap? I dunno. FI is still not out of the picture, but I will run this 600 Eddy for awhile and see how she does. It's certainly much cheaper and easy than FI.

I do think the truck idles a bit more choppy now, at idle it sounds a bit more like a proper old cammed v8. Soon as you touch the gas though its obvious it aint no v8.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  Glad you got it to idle down.

Which Eddy do you have.  The 1406 or 1405?  1405 is the performance version and is jetted for that.  The 1406 is jetted for economy.

A larger carb will do nothing for torque off-idle.  The only place it'll really help is in letting the thing run better at WOT with the R's climbing.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
1406, electric choke. Choke works great. Should I get a jet kit and mess with it, or will it be a marginal improvement?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd drive it the way it is and see how it does.

Basically what you've done is go from a limited-flow capability carb to one that has a lot of flow capability.  But that flow isn't used until you start winding the engine up.  And that carb is jetted to handle a 350 cubic inch engine right from the box, so it isn't likely it needs to be changed to drop down to a 300.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Yeah, I drove it a little more. Honestly, I aint impressed with the setup over the factory log intake and 1 barrel. Its good enough. Its a 300 Straight six, I ain't going to get 300hp and 400lb ft of torque easily. So, for now its a tinker toy.

Maybe I will start watching for a ecoboost pullout....or a coyote 5.0 2nd gen.....or.......turbo 300 six? Or....I need to just shut up and go to bed....

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Alright.....TIRES!!!

So I have 32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains. They are take-offs from the bronco. I've not been able to get a good balance. Either they are flat spotted, or there are no tire techs around here that know what they heck they are doing.

Anyway, they are loud. I am going to have the exhaust done, and get new tires. So, the goal is to get it running a little more quiet. I love the look of a tall tire. Any suggestions? Something close to what I have now. 295x75x15, 32x11.5x15....etc...something about that size.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Golden post right there David!  

I do sometimes wish we had a Rep system, like back at FTE.
Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
๐Ÿ‘‘
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
1 ... 3233343536