713 messages Options
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 36
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Little Blue 82

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm pretty sure the ECU didn't control the choke.  Nothing I can find in the EVTM shows the ECU doing that.  But in the YF/YFA R&R info from the factory shop manual they show a hot air fitting and then talk about an electric assist choke.

So you should have a tube that goes from the carb to the exhaust manifold that takes filtered air from the air cleaner, and then another tube that takes hot air from the exhaust manifold up to the carb.  But, by now many of those have rusted off.

I've been successful running the choke as an electric choke.  So you could try that.  There should be connections on the choke housing for at least power, and probably ground.  Originally the chokes were powered by the stator connection from the alternator.  This gives about 7 volts, and it may work for you.  If not you could use a relay to put battery voltage on it when the engine is running - and a Bosch relay can be pulled in with the stator output.

But the best is to replace the tube(s) going to the exhaust manifold.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I was just considering all my options.

YFA elec choke- cheap, reliable, works, easy peasy.

Fuel Injection - expensive, requires intake, fuel pump, etc but would get damn good cold starts and better engine performance and is reliable also.

Custom - 3 one barrel manual choke. Requires hacking three stock intakes for the center section. Rejetting, velocity calculations, could be as reliable as one YFA. Cool. Not as pricey as the fuel injection. Damn COOL...300 3-Pack Id call it. Might require bigger cam, or not.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Coolest, 3 sidedraft Weber's with velocity stacks.

Individual runners was always one of Dave Vizard's favorite power AND economy tricks.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I removed all the stock computer, all the stock exhaust components, and plugged all the crazy unecessary ports on the carb. I cannot run heat to the carb with a headman header.

Im thinking a YFA from RockAuto, and when I finally locate two or three more factory intakes, I will build that 3 Pack. Maybe I will need to find a Weber 1 barrel with the correct cfm for velocity.

Some old weber side draft carbs would look amazing.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I think 3 YF's would be too much carburetion.  Adapters could be made to put a little progressive 2bbl on the YF mounting flange, and you'd run on 2 or 3 little 1bbl carbs until the velocity was high enough to pull in the secondaries.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Coolest, 3 sidedraft Weber's with velocity stacks.

Individual runners was always one of Dave Vizard's favorite power AND economy tricks.
HAHA, I was typing the same thing.....

Great minds think alike....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you can run heat to the carb with a header.  Use some of the soft tubing Jim talks about for brake or fuel line, and wrap it around the header two or three turns.  That'll warm the air up in the tube quite nicely.  You might want to put some insulation on the return, but it'll work.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can still buy DCOE's new.

Just about any bore you want.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, you can run heat to the carb with a header.  Use some of the soft tubing Jim talks about for brake or fuel line, and wrap it around the header two or three turns.  That'll warm the air up in the tube quite nicely.  You might want to put some insulation on the return, but it'll work.
Copper tubing is better, it will not rust out and is easier to bend.
Poor man headers ... EFI manifolds

If you need to run pre-heat to the air filter you can make the tin from sheet metal and/or tin cans to catch the heat and use the paper hose up to the filter housing like stock.
I have not done this and don't know if I will have to only time will tell.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dave.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave, it is copper/nickel tubing.
Very easy to form and will likely outlast all of us.

Check it out
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Thanks guys. I think I have some copper tubing somewhere. Good idea. Ill check to see if I can get power to the choke, and see if the choke will actually work.

Once the truck starts, it warms up and runs fine. But yeah, I havent run it in real cold weather yet, so I anticipate problems.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're in rural Kentucky....

If there aren't coils of copper hiding near every creek you're not looking hard enough.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Funny you should say that...
I have been collecting parts and build plans to distill ethanol. My ancestor all come from Kentucky and virginia area. Mountain people. Its in my blood. At 16 years old I made my first still, in my bedroom and hid it from my parents.....

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
.... Not that I haven't.
But any distillation of hard liquor in the U.S. is illegal (even if only for personal consumption)

Get with the times Ray!
It the 21st century.
It's methlabs all the way down these days..  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I live minutes away from the second largest National Forest in Florida. I've spent plenty of time traversing the central and western sides and the things I have seen are incredible. Everything from illegal distilleries, stolen burned out cars, small weed plots, white supremacists, homeless hippies (rainbow people), and plenty of other strange individuals doing strange things. It's a wild world.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
.... Not that I haven't.
But any distillation of hard liquor in the U.S. is illegal (even if only for personal consumption)

Get with the times Ray!
It the 21st century.
It's methlabs all the way down these days..  
Id not consume it. Mix 15% gasoline and run it in the Tahoe. I have Kentucky State Trooper, and local law enforcement buddies. They all say "dont sell shine, sell the jar" with a wink and a nod.

Like you said, I live in the heart of Bourbon country. Jim Beam is right on the other side of the county.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
So, picked up some 3M weatherstrip adhesive, pulled and cleaned the strip off the top of the bronco doors and installed. Next time on the freeway, hopefully I notice a difference.

I messed with the choke a little. I get 7 volts off the factory choke wire. But I dont see the choke move. The vacuum diaphram works to keep it open. Is the choke supposed to be completly closed in the morning when its cold?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nothing like a good Bourbon.

The whole thing about ageing in a virgin charred oak cask gives me pause though.

That would mean I'd have to run 50-100 gallons at a time.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's supposed to be closed only as far as you set it to be.

Once you open the throttle all the way to set (release) it.
 Jim,
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 36