classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Daily Rebuild

FuzzFace2
Rembrant wrote
I have a couple of these bumper bolts I need to deal with myself...

I believe the Flareside rear bumper uses the same SS capped bolts as the front bumper. I got two of the four out, but the other two are just spinning in the holes. I'm planning on cutting them off from the inside.
Yes they are caped at least mine were.
I had a heck of a time by hand to undo them (did not work). I used my MAP torch to heat the nuts to get them off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by blackdog
You probably found this page and tab, but just in case: Driveline/Clutches and Linkage and the Clutch Linkage tab.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
i may have to do that to the trans crossmember bolts...they are far from cooperative.

or...maybe i will just remove the cab and get at them from the top. luckily the floor was rusted through (how many times has anybody said that), and i was able to get the ones on the driver side through the floor. i am all too ready to be done with this donor truck...just a couple more weeks and i should be done and on to the actual build instead of dismantling
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When I did Huck, the half-truck, I was knee-deep in parts with no where to put them.  It was a huge mess.  I feel for you.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
almost done with the parts truck! just gotta pull the wiring the rest of the way outta there and have windshield swapped and it'll be onto my DARLA
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
As far as dealing with bumper bolts. I have never drilled one out. Not the way to do it. Cut it off or grind it away, absolutely. When you get one that just isn't coming off, is now spinning in the square hole, you have no other choice but to either cut it off or grind the head. By cutting, I wean with a cut off wheel. If there is enough slack to get the wheel behide the head, or go in from the back and cut the nut. Last option is just cutting/grinding the head off.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
alrighty, i am finally back to my actual project. didnt get the windshield from the parts truck because it had a chip in it and the cost of replacing vs swapping was a $50 difference, so i'll eat the fifty for a windshield with a warranty. i've removed starter, alt, unbolted power steering pump, removed cooling hoses and radiator, unbolted exhaust, and now am ready to diagram and photograph wiring and vacuum lines in preparation for engine removal.

i do not wish to remove trans with engine, as i am looking to swap the tremec 4sp od (i actually have to take this apart and inspect all gears and such to ensure that this is possible, as far as i know the only gear readily available to replace is the reverse idler). when i remove the AOD trans via unbolting and sliding-back, drop-down, and slide-out-under, will torque converter stay attached to trans or will it stay with engine? either or, my haynes manual was vague on this and i would appreciate any feedback.

p.s. thanks to Cory's posts of the race trucks, i finally have a clear idea as to how i will paint DARLA, as she is supposed to be my daily/shop truck for my hand painted sign/truck lettering company. that page on facebook is a goldmine, and i absolutely must know who painted all those trucks before vinyl took over/destroyed the scene.

i am really not looking forward to repairing the engine harness. as of now, though, i am still on schedule to have our truck ready to roll by the end of summer. cheers
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is good to get back to a project.  

On the windshield, make sure the one you get does not have the mask for the VIN in the wrong place.  The vast majority of them cover a Bullnose VIN as Ford moved the VIN soon thereafter, and most outfits only stock the later windshields.  And if you let them install one of those windshields you can really have problems when you get ready to sell the truck.  Don't ask.  

As for the transmission, I haven't pulled an AOD.  But I know on a C6 you can pull the tranny and leave the torque converter.  So I'd bet the one on the AOD will as well, but perhaps someone that's done it will chime in.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On auto tranys I always pull the converter with the trany.
It should stay in place as long as you don't tilt the trany to the front and have it "slip out".
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
beautiful. thanks!

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 8:46 PM FuzzFace2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On auto tranys I always pull the converter with the trany.
It should stay in place as long as you don't tilt the trany to the front and have it "slip out".
Dave ----
81 F100 flare side 300 six/T18 project
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Daily-Rebuild-tp19789p24162.html
To unsubscribe from Daily Rebuild, click here.
NAML
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
Instead of spending money on a bearing puller assembly, i dropped off my TOD trans at a local shop to have them remove the main case bearings so i can get to work disassembling and cleaning the parts while i wait on the rebuild kit. Guy at the shop is charging me 65 clams (he started at 100 and i was thinking 20 or so, but it is NY, and it is way cheaper than the 300 something i would need to spend for puller assembly), and he assured me that he would do nothing more than remove the bearings. I dread having other people touch my truck since I had a "locksmith" change out the tumbler and break my horn pad, as well as the door panel tabs, so i am anxious to pickup and inspect my lil gearbox to make sure i get what i asked for. Anyway, with the idle hands i got to thinking ahead to the engine rebuild (which along with wiring harness rebuild will be all the major work that is done to my truck this year). I havent pulled the engine yet, and therefore havent opened it up for to inspect it, but since it's just a ring that has gone on it as far as i can tell, hopefully it will be a simple and straightforward honing and porting job with new gaskets seals plugs and the like. If this is the case, I will save money on machine work and not have to buy too many new parts, so i got to thinking about where i could spend a little extra on it for kicks. I'd love to put some shorty headers on it and a dual-rear-exit catback exhaust system on there, but was wondering if that'd mess with the EFI at all. I'm looking for an excuse to put some new American Racing satin black OE-style wheels on her, so if installing shorty headers instead of a standard exhaust manifold will throw off the EFI I wouldnt be too disappointed. Also, has anyone installed dual rear exit exhaust and not had to remove the spare tire carrier?
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think shorty headers will bother the EFI, but I'm not sure of that.

And I understand about not having others work on things. Man, the stuff that "professionals" did to Big Blue before I got him should be illegal.

But, I don't know about just honing the block. In my experience the bores have been worn out of round and honing won't resolve that. So while I'm in there I always have the machine work done and install new pistons. But you may get lucky.

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
I stopped by the trans shop as they were closing and saw that the man(monster) had heated the bearings in an attempt to get them to slide out more easily, but instead, this evildoer had melted the front case bearing onto the input shaft, which was removed from case, and he had also melted the rear case bearing onto the output shaft, which he had not yet pulled. i'm going to call him in the morning and ask that he not tinker with (to be polite) my transmission anymore, and say that i'll just pick it up when i finish my route. never again will i take anything to a shop that im not familiar with. ARGH
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  How did he melt the bearing onto the shaft?  Did it hurt the shaft?  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I wouldn't trust either shaft as far as I could throw them. Any strength it had is probably gone. Would find a good lawyer and make that shop replace everything with new, not used parts. Sounds like our favorite group of monkeys have relocated North from Florida to New York.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
I'm just gonna grab it tomorrow and see what the damage is.  These TOD RTS 4 spd od are not too common, and I dont want to jump to conclusions, so I will see what's good tomorrow. I should've just spent the money on the tool for the job instead. Oh well, I'll never make the mistake of having someone else do things for me. If you want it done right gotta do it yourself!
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
Looks like the bearings arent melted onto the shafts, so I might be able to get them off. Darn guy was leaving his shop 15 minutes before close as i was pulling into the lot. Fortunately he didnt ask for a dime and I was able to keep my cool. I specifically asked him not to remove anything but the bearings, yet I now have a box of needle bearings, thrust washers, and other stuff and I guess that im.just glad there isn't a crack in the aluminum case at this point. I'll take a look tomorrow and upload some pictures so yall can have a look and share your thoughts. Good news: my daughter crawled for the first time! Wife had to use her phone as bait, lol. I guess that's the one time we will let her have the phone for more than a split second.
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's great news - both on the tranny as well as the daughter crawling.  

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I must admit I was confused when you said it was melted . .because we are talking about temperatures +/- 2000 degrees . . whereas the case will fall to liquid around 1260.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco