Daily Rebuild

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Daily Rebuild

blackdog
I was trying to get donor bumper w/ impact strips and bumper guards off of 84, but by trying to loosen the nuts all I did was spin the bolts. Any suggestions besides drilling the bolts out? I wouldn't mind getting new ones..
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is there enough bolt behind the nut to get two more nuts on and tighten them against each other?  That, with days of penetrating oil and heat might help you break the nuts loose.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by blackdog
These are a bugger to get off... I have had some success using a long screw driver or pry bar to pry the bumper away from the frame while loosening the nut, thereby keeping the square shank of the carriage bolt engaged in the square hole so it does not spin. This usually only takes you so far... and if it’s the one that goes through the bumper guard you probably found out how easily the square shank dimples the face of the bumper guard inward to where you can’t get it to “bite”. The goal is to get the nut threaded off far enough that you can get a hold of the bolt head with vice grips. The problem with the chrome capped bolts is that the vice grips grip the cap and the bolt spins inside it. So you have to can-open the chrome cap off the bolt. Sometimes you can get the nut off far enough to get pliers under the edge and get one side started like taking off a bottle cap. Sometimes you need to get a cut started with a metal chisel or sharp screw driver, then pic and pry at it until you get it off. Can you tell I’ve removed a junkyard bumper or two? I’ve also been defeated and had to leave bumpers that were giving me too much trouble. Drilling the bolt head might be a better way, but if it’s in the junkyard and you don’t have power you would need a very robust cordless drill...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I have a couple of these bumper bolts I need to deal with myself...

I believe the Flareside rear bumper uses the same SS capped bolts as the front bumper. I got two of the four out, but the other two are just spinning in the holes. I'm planning on cutting them off from the inside.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
Thanks for the input, all. Luckily the truck is in a driveway, so we shall see how my brother's milwuakee impact does with drilling through it. Will remove rosewood pieces today and put em on ebay since nobody here seems to want em. What should I list the set for? I figure 100 for both the door pieces, 150 for the dash bezel, 120 for the radio bezel, and 70 for horn pad? I've never sold anything on ebay so I dont know how to go about this, especially since I dont know the value of this stuff, I pulled those numbers out of thin air
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You might be high on those parts, but I don't really deal with those things too often.  Perhaps David/1986F150Six can comment since he watches eBay like a hawk?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, David.  

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
thanks brother!
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Wow! Good info.. I ended up tapping a washer under the cap with a hammer to tighten it up until I get more serious.

This will help!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
I have forgotten (read: pushed out my mind) the bumper and have been focusing on the interior of the donor vehicle. At first craigslist glance I thought I would have an inline six manual 2WD longbed, but as some of you may have seen in other threads, I have deemed this longbed unsuitable for a rebuild. I will be swapping the transmission from it for the aod that came with my DARLA. I will also be using the steering column and clutch assembly  along with the instrument cluster. From the body of the longbed I will use the hood and driver's side door to replace that which is currently in place, as the hood on my truck has bondo repair from some sort of damage The grille upper moulding, along with radiator core support (maybe, as rad. Cor support in my truck isn't too mangled) will also be used on my flareside rebuild.
     Instead of rewiring the chassis wires, I hope to use the longbed harness (is that even called a harness?) on the flareside, if it isn't too much an ask to run longer wires a shorter length.  As far as I can tell from my brief surveyance, the engine wiring is incompatible with my truck, as the donor has i6 and mine has a 5.0... and the donor isn't efi like mine.

Sidenote: where in blast is the computer on these things? Donor vehicle is 84, my project is an 86, and the only thing I could have thought to be the computer on my 86 was tucked behind instr. cluster. Upon entirely removing dash and ac ducting and steering column support brackets and dash / radio bezels on the 84, I revealed what seems to me to be the computer, but I thought that anything before 85 didn't have one.

Thanks for taking the time to read that borderline illiterate bull(nose)speak, any input is much appreciated!

-blackdog
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Both the 1985 and '86 EVTM's say the ECA, which is the computer, is located "under rear center of instrument panel".  But the ECA started to be used in at least '82, and in that case it was under the driver's seat.

On the plans, it seems like you have them thought out.  And the wiring is called a harness, which is much easier to shorten than lengthen.  

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
good to know, thanks! im going to drop the trans and clutch assembly tomorrow, but i w as trying to remove the steering column today and couldnt quite get it. i removed all bolts i saw and a few clips, but  my haynes manual doesnt have anything on column removal as far as i saw. anybody have experience doing this?
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are the bolts holding the column to the firewall as well as the ones to the mount on the bottom of the dash.  Do you have them out?

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
sure do. as well as the bolt that holds the reatiner clip in front of the firewall "bracket"

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 7:18 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are the bolts holding the column to the firewall as well as the ones to the mount on the bottom of the dash.  Do you have them out?
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Daily-Rebuild-tp19789p22172.html
To unsubscribe from Daily Rebuild, click here.
NAML
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
actually i think i might have missed a clip...on that firewall mount i removed four bolts, and got one clip out, i think maybe there is another clip. in the engine compartment, i removed the bolt connecting the column to the driveshaft (?) but couldnt get the "sleeve" off there.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 7:18 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are the bolts holding the column to the firewall as well as the ones to the mount on the bottom of the dash.  Do you have them out?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Daily-Rebuild-tp19789p22172.html
NAML
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I tend to remember that one bolt is hard to see.  Maybe that's the one you missed?

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
That was indeed the case! Got the steering column out but couldn't get the trans out today. That darn cross member is a pain to get out of the way, and we couldn't quite get it. I think we will be able to finish that up tomorrow. 

On Feb 9, 2019 10:07 PM, "Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tend to remember that one bolt is hard to see.  Maybe that's the one you missed?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Daily-Rebuild-tp19789p22180.html
NAML

86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
blackdog wrote
Sidenote: where in blast is the computer on these things? Donor vehicle is 84, my project is an 86, and the only thing I could have thought to be the computer on my 86 was tucked behind instr. cluster. Upon entirely removing dash and ac ducting and steering column support brackets and dash / radio bezels on the 84, I revealed what seems to me to be the computer, but I thought that anything before 85 didn't have one.
I just removed the EFI computer from the '85 today, and man to you have to get upside down in the cab to reach that uppermost screw (I removed the whole ECM mounting bracket). My 302 EFI parts are going off to a fellow forum member for spare parts, so I was gathering all of that stuff up today.

That steering column removal can be a bit of a pain. I really dislike anything that requires I climb under the dash...lol. I've had mine in and out several times now, so I'm as quick as a thief with that thing now!

Did we discuss a firewall brace earlier in this thread? If you're swapping a manual trans into a non manual truck, now would be the time to do it...although it's not a big deal to install later (once you're a steering column expert, the job can be done much quicker!).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
the brace has not been discussed here yet, but i did stumble upon it elsewhere on this site. definitely worth looking into some more. i havent disassembled my 86 dash yet, just the 84, but i will definitely be able to break that down and get the steering column out much more quickly than i did with the 84. nothing like the first time doing something. i made a lot of progress this week, but grew frustrated that i couldnt get the trans out today. welp, win some lose some. we are never quite as acrobatic as when we need to reach that evasive screw, or reach into a tight space for a bolt head
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside