Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cab upgrades

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've come to accept it.  :shrug
It's my everyday.

But sometimes, like yesterday, I have to step back and persue something else.

The sun is setting and it's only a drizzle now.

Tomorrow is another day.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Today was a beautiful day!

I came out to the truck, opened the door, and discovered water in both sills, up against the door gasket flange.  

After having replaced the windshield, going full boat on rust repair and caulking in the cowl and kick panels, I just don't know...

So I took a cue from the rocker repair thread a week or two ago and just drilled them to drain out.

I didn't like the foil insulation showing beneath the seat with my new half-mat, so I sprayed everything with plasti-dip.

Then, when I was putting the front sway bar back in I managed to twist one of the links off....

I'm really getting tired of this.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I'm with you Jim, my feet and back are still hurting from doing the manifolds.      You're doing a great job, i cant wait  to see it when it's done.     Hopefully we are doing AC this weekend, but you know how that goes.  we were supposed to have that done a month ago
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sorry, never fun when something like that happens. You must have eaten your spinach today.

I know they aren't the solution in every case and won't prevent something like that from happening if there is already a crack or weak spot but I can't say enough good things about a quality set of thread chasers. I used those about as much as my 10mm socket when redoing the 86.

With those links though, a lot of the ones around here are almost rusted through since water/salt/etc settles inside those bushings and goes to town.

If you need one though, I think I have one in the barn.

Let me know how that plasti-dip sets up. I tried the aerosol for the first time a couple weeks ago and am on the fence so will be good to know if it was just my lack of prep or the material I sprayed it on.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ill just get a new pair from Amazon and put the bushings back in the box.
Maybe I can pay them forward to someone else.

But, thank you for your offer *Scott!  

Tomorrow I can put the sills back, chase the rear channel speaker wires and replace the seat.
Hopefully the hood now lines up and latches correctly.

I will let you know about the plasti-dip.
I wiped the channels out with lacquer thinner but did nothing to the foil insulation.

Really, REALLY frustrating that after all this I still have water getting into the cab.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I think that was Scott, not Jonathan.  

Anyway, bummer on twisting the link off.  But, as Scott said, they rust out.  The ones I have from the '95 for BB's D60 front axle are very thin.  So I think your plan to buy new ones is the way to go.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ooof, that's embarrassing.  

But yes, order placed!

I really hope you like that D60 axle, after I pushed you to go that way.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I also realize I can't see the holes I drilled, so ill have to get a better pic (perhaps with a contrasting colour underneath) before I screw the sill plates back in.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Ooof, that's embarrassing.  
Don't sweat it - I get called the wrong name on a daily basis.

I didn't even think about buying new ones but good call.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I couldn't see the screw holes.  But I believed you.  

Confusing Scott and Jonathan is easy - both really good guys.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Here in the salty northeast pretty much anything undercarriage that can trap water is bound to rust out.

Hard to believe that all these started out as blue Moog bushings.
I'll have to cut one in half tomorrow.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
One step forward, two steps back?

Today I got the SAE plugs to tie in the rear channel to my behind the seat box.
It's raining again, so I took the opportunity to work under cover (barn) and check for corrosion at the speakers themselves.
Only to find that the cones in those Polk Mobile Monitors from the '90's were completely tattered.

No wonder I wasn't getting clear sound from behind the seat!

Recone, or buy new?
I've only ever put new -better- cones in big speakers from PA systems, but I assume it's the same, just more fiddly.
I definitely don't have $3-400 burning a hole in my pocket
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I kept a pair for years I planned to re-cone, and just never got it done.  Initially it was because I couldn't decide what material to use as it needs to be both light and stiff.  Also the surrounds play a big part and they kept coming out with better and better materials.  In the end I bought new.

But I didn't spend $300, much less $400.  There are some decent-sounding speaker for less.  What size are you looking for?  What frequency range?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The ones I pictured in the box are Polk 8" Mobile Monitors with dual voice coils from the '90's.
I just checked and the newer version are only about $130 a piece.

But with the Sub sub-woofer (not any real woofer with an 8" diameter) I will probably make a new front for that speaker box and go with a pair of their 6 1/2" mid's, since I shouldn't need as much bass.
They're not too expensive.

Or, I'm perfectly willing to try something else to use as rear channel fill.
Recommendations, that won't break the bank?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think going with 6 1/2" speakers is a good idea.  Will they be 2-way or 3-ways?  I'd think 2-ways for the rear would be good.  But while I used to pride myself as being an audiophile, I've been out of things for years.

Having said that, my go-to place has always been Crutchfield, and a <a href="https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Vg3ZN9rVFsk/g_52000/6-1-2-Speakers.html#&nvpair=FFCustomer_Rating|[rank2]4%20stars[img]">search of their site for 6 1/2" speakers with at least 4 stars finds several with excellent reviews in the $60 - $70 range.  I like the Kickers, which have what looks like a 4.3 star rating out of 515 reviews.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, that link sure didn't work.  Try this one and then apply the filters you want: https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/6_1%2F2_car_speakers.html#&nvpair=FFCategory|[rank399]Car%20Speakers&nvpair=FFSubcategory|[rank473750]6%22,%206-1/2%22%20%26%206-3/4%22%20Speakers

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Crutchfield fan from way back.

Yes, I see quite a few choices well under $100, if I'm willing to remake the front panel, which is not an issue.
I don't think having a sub and two more 8" speakers behind me is great from your audiophile perspective.
Though I was looking at mid-range speakers in-part because of what your comment about all the hard glass surface being so bright.

Polk has at least 3 levels of 6.5's available now. Their Mobile Monitor line in 6.5" has an integrated speaker, and component systems, but they seem to be ranging from $129 to $479
Also their Dynamic Balance 652's which come in under $90 on Amazon.

The DSC650 DS Kicker, Rockford, Memphis, Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer, Alpine and Sony more were all on my list.
Pushing the $100 limit are Infinity's Reference series 6532's @ $99.95 a pair.

I think I'll get better frequency response and drive from 6.5 vs 8 without having to push my head unit if I decide to forgo a separate amp.
It certainly leaves me with plenty of possibilities.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm a Kicker fan 'cause their home is in Stillwater.  (I'll be in Stillwater on Saturday for a funeral - it is that close.)  And I've been in their plant.

I'm not saying theirs is the best, but given it is local to me I tend to buy their stuff.  However, there are lots of choices in that range of size and price, and you'd be hard pressed to go wrong.

I'd suggest you look at the cone structure.  I wouldn't go with paper or wood products.  Instead, some form of plastic.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh yes, I bought the Polk's George commented he likes so much in his Ranchero, in part because they're also sold as marine speakers, and we all know how much water gets into doors (even if they're not open bottom like my passenger side)

Kicker has quite a few smaller speakers under $100 a pair, and Crutchfield is great for comparison shopping.

I'm still stuck in the '80's and early '90's when Kicker and Rockford were synonymous with 15"+ subs and a cap that would literally blow the flesh off your fingers it you touched it charged.

Like I said to George 'talk to me like I'm five', but I'm growing up and have appreciation for more than stadium systems in a van these days.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One of the reasons I have been a fan of Crutchfield for years, I have actually been in their main location on the North side of Charlottesville VA. I bought a very nice tuner and CD changer combination from their clearance section that I had a pair of mounts for, one set was in the truck the other in the Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Diesel. If we were taking the 5th wheel it went in Darth, if not it went in the Olds.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

12345678 ... 12