7362 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 369
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
Agreed.  However, Firestone doesn't think so. ....
Having the air bag completely unrestrained under high pressure was one concern I thought of.  You could make sure you never have them at high pressure when you are going somewhere you might flex Big Blue out.  That may or may not be too limiting for your use.  (My thought is the HEAVY loads will be on-road and even overlanding with a bunch of gear wouldn't require much pressure in the bags.  But how you end up using it will be up to you.)

Missing the cradle obviously would be bad.  But as you note, a lot of satisfied customers show that doesn't need to be an issue.

Another thought I had was about wear on the bags as they slide in and out of the cradles, especially if any sand or gravel gets in there.  I think if I had that setup I'd want to lift the truck and let the axle droop out to inspect the bags every so often, especially after a 'wheeling trip.

Those are the thoughts I had after thinking about it a little more.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't imagine needing high pressure in the air bags when overlanding.  My plan/hope is to set the springs up so that they take the load with very little pressure in the bags for those trips.  But when towing my car-hauler trailer with a heavy vehicle on it I think higher pressures will be needed.

Cleaning the cradles of dirt, etc after 'wheeling is a good idea.  They are sorta open on the bottom with a kind of grid, but I could see rocks getting in there that might not pass through.

If I remember correctly, the Firestone bags have a metal top and bottom plate, but the Air Lift bags don't.  That might be a consideration as the metal bottom would might take the rocks better.

When I searched for info on the cradles I found that 4 Wheel Parts carries them.  And, they carry both Firestone and Air Lift bags.  I was in the Tulsa store a couple of days ago and talked with Cory Marshall, the manager, about freebies for the show.  He said to call him back next week about them as he has something going on that might be a good fit.  When I do I think I'll ask him what his opinion is of the cradles and which bag to go with.  He'll tell me straight, and I'll bet he'll back me up if I buy from him and have a problem.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update.  Been playing with the grandtwins so haven't gotten a lot done.  But, some of the parts have been trickling in, including two of the caliper pistons, the brake pads, the hardware kit, the caliper seals, and the bleeder screws.  And the rotors should be here in a day or two, with the last two pistons due next week.

But, I had a bit of time today so decided to media-blast the hubs so they could be powder coated.  I just couldn't bear the thought of those new Warn Premium lockouts going on those rusty hubs.  

First step was to press out the lugs so the rotors could be removed.  Boy, there are a LOT of lugs on these as compared to an F150.    Anyway, got those off easily with the press and put one hub in the blast cabinet.  Here 'tis with its brother, with the one I blasted on the left:  

And now they are being phosphated.  Might as well give them as much protection as I can.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Progress is good!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it IS!  Even just a little bit of it feels so good.

I called the shop doing the D60 work and they have the gears, bearings, and seals.  But the OX locker was supposed to arrive today.  So it'll be a while before it is ready.

Which isn't a problem as I haven't started tearing the truck apart yet.

But, I'm still looking for upgrades, and found one today on Tim Meyer's site - his Track Boss Oil Filter Adapter.  And Tim hopes to deliver it in September.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Purty!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I don't understand what this is going to accomplish for you.

You have a 4x4 460 so you already need the factory block adapter to clear the dented cross member.
Once you have that there's barely room for an FL1A to clear the lower radiator hose and water pump inlet.

I don't even know that the nipple in the adapter is removable.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot about the adapter!  I think you are right.  

I have the adapter on Huck's block so could pull it and see how it comes apart.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, at 5.21 x 3.6" the 51268R doesn't seem bigger that the standard filter.
The 1 1/8-16 thread might allow additional flow, but that adapts to the stock passage..... so?

But the 'R' is "racing only" according to Wix, since it doesn't have a drainback or bypass valve.

Maybe fine for a Trackboss but doesn't seem like an option for a vehicle you actually drive.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=15054
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, but the adapter on Huck's block is the "grenade" one with the oil to water cooler. Huck and Big Blue should have a male/female bushing in the block that the hollow bolt from the adapter screws into.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What about the one from the '96 450?

BTW that bushing has a C8 prefix so it goes WAY back to shoehorning 429's into cars that were never made for them (like the Mustang)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
That would also have the "grenade". 1988-early 1990 models used an oil to air cooler like I put on Darth, the adapter for it is cast aluminum and has a bypass valve and threaded ports for the oil lines.

All 1983-1997 F series with a 460 have some adapter for the filter, not just 4WD, remember Darth is 2WD and the dually was not available in a 4WD except as a cab and chassis in 1986.

Here is the adapter for the remote oil cooler, small piece at bottom is part of the AC hose set.

Here it is seen from the top.

Here are some pictures of the "grenade" adapter.

Here is the block bushing.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - The intent wasn't to use the R filter.  Here's what Tim's page says:

The purpose to use this adapter is to use the Wix 51268 oil filter.  You will see in the documents here, the the 51268 has almost the same flow as the 51515R, and almost the same filtering as the 51515. So really the purpose to choose to use this adapter is you can have the filtering quality and flow ability

And the spec's on the 51268 are here.

But, with Bill's pic of the male/female adapter then Tim's adapter isn't going to work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, it would if you wanted to cut a big chunk out of the front cross member so the filter could stick straight out the side of the block!   
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Might as well, there's a chunk out of the back already.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you remove that fitting, Tim's adapter might fit in place of it, can you get the thread size on both ends of his adapter and then remove the Ford adapter from Huck's block and check the thread size on it? This would tell you if it would work, however, as cramped as that area is on a 460, I am not sure I would want to do a filter change on it.

Remember, the 351M/400 block is (a) shorter than a 429/460 and (b) narrower at the pan flange area. This allows a 351M/400 to use a standard FL1A when installed in a Bullnose frame, the preceding frames had the engine sitting higher over the crossmember and used front sump pans on all except 4WD models.

This is why the 460 in a Bullnose requires either a very short filter or some method of relocation, either by an angled adapter or actual remote location.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What would be the advantage of using Tim's adapter?  Isn't it better because it takes the other filter?  And it doesn't have internal threads like the one for the 460, so how would the 460 piece fit on?

I think I've lost something here.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I don't have a car or early 385 series block and filter adapter to look at, but they had a screw in filter adapter that had an internal hex like Tim's adapter. Maybe Steve83 or someone else who has an earlier 460 truck or a car with a 429/460 has some pictures of it and the thread size it uses. If it will come out, I can remove the one from the new engine and see what the inside end looks like. Or maybe the one on huck's block will come out.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Angled adapter AND a dented cross member....

The 460 block is threaded 1 1/16-12.

But how much more flow are you really going to get if it has to go though the adapter and banjo bolt?

I think it might work if the filter sealed directly to the block.

Tim's a little high if he thinks 20 gpm= 'almost' 30 gpm......
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think Tim's oil filter adapter is a non-starter on Big Blue.  I'm happy he has the oil/air cooler rather than the oil/water cooler like Huck's engine has, so will go back stock with it - including the stock hose routing to clear the radiator support.

And, speaking of the radiator support, that reminds me.  The radiator support Jonathan brought me almost two years ago has had its small cracks welded up and it has then been blasted and painted with an epoxy primer and then a chassis black top coat.  It'll go back to replace the one that's on there now, which was butchered to allow routing the hoses in a bizarre way so they could get them to the cooler which was mounted in the wrong spot, which then caused them to butcher the back of the grille to get clearance.  

But that grille may go back on - after being painted black.  I think I like the blacked-out look, and I might as well paint the hacked-up grille to find out for sure.

1 ... 10111213141516 ... 369