classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
90 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding Remote Locking

85lebaront2
Administrator
In 1994 Ford added an RKE system to the trucks, no door keypad but a complete RKE system. It is the same as the Taurus uses and does have a place to connect a keypad. Biggest issue is the wiring changes between RKE and no RKE on the power lock switches. If you look at the 1996 EVTM it covers it, it also adds the "battery saver" feature (leave the doors open too long and the interior lights go out).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guess I ought to add the RKE section to the '96 EVTM.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Hooked up the interior "Supervision" part of it last night. I tied it directly into the passenger underdash light circuit by cutting off the factory terminal and adding a new one with both the factory wire and the module's wire.

Was surprised to find that the local auto parts store could get the terminals in the same day. Standard CG60

Next is the parking light/hazard indicators.
Earlier in this thread there was reference to using the LG/W and W/BL wires that come out of the hazard switch (steering column) but also the W/R [H] wire that goes from the Hazard flasher and into the switch.

The W/R would be ideal but looking at the switch diagram, does that work? That circuit won't make it's way to the lights unless the hazard tab is pulled out on the column, right?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What does your system do to the hazards?  I'm thinking it pulses them, meaning it applies voltage and takes it away, simulating the hazard flasher.  Right?

If so, if you connect to the w/r wire you also have to turn the hazard switch on for the power to get to the bulbs.

So the only way for the system to flash the hazards is to tie into both the lg/w and the w/bl.  But, you can't tie them together or the turn signals will both work at the same time.  However, you could use a pair of diodes with the anodes tied together and one cathode going to the lg/w and the other going to the w/bl.  That way the turn signals will still work.  However, the voltage to the bulbs will be down ~.7v when the system is flashing them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Gary. Yes it does and that confirms my thinking...unfortunately. Should this post be edited to avoid any future confusion?

What about forgoing the hazard circuit and hooking into the connector (C906) behind the drivers kick panel that is for the cab clearance lights? So using the parking light circuit instead.
This would be a really easy hookup for people to make and even for those of us that have clearance lights it is still easy to work with.

The only downside (flashing the clearance lights is a pro for me) would be that it would dim the radio and dash lights briefly but I can't think of a situation where that would be noticed.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think C906 is perfect!

And, I'll check w/Steve to see what he did and how it worked.  I cannot see using the w/r working at all, now that I look at it more closely.  If it didn't work for him, as it surely can't unless I'm missing something, I'll edit that post to make it C906.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Checked with Steve, and it didn't work.  I've now edited the previous post, and will send him a link.  I'm pretty sure this one will work - and it'll light the truck up!  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Can confirm it works great! Easy to hook up (even with clearance lights) and having all the exterior lights (sans headlights) light up when locking and unlocking looks really good.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good!  I'll bet you had lots of lights coming on.  

Sure glad you caught that.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Am I reading the Horn Relay (for speed control trucks) correctly in that it is ground triggered?
So the DB wire (notated 1) at the bottom right of the relay image that goes to the speed control switch is open but goes to ground when the horn button on the steering wheel is pressed?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the DB wire goes to ground when the horn button is pushed - on a truck with speed control.

Odd that Circuit #1 is the horn.  I would have thought when they started numbering they would have started with something like ignition.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Very true, didn't even think about that

Thanks for that confirmation - that is great news for those with speed control. On the keyless entry module I am installing and most I have found for comparison, the horn output (for Panic mode and lock/unlock confirmation) is a ground output. So no 'user supplied' relay is needed and the DB wire for the factory relay can be hooked into instead.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That certainly is good news.

So, when the dust settles you'll do a how-to on installing keyless entry?

Reminds me, I think I'll go scan in that section from the '96 EVTM.  Might be able to find one of those in a salvage and graft it on.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That's what I am hoping. I know I've taken over this thread but I assume the stuff I am running into will be pretty generic for all systems. Once I get everything finalized I'll consolidate it and add photos. The 535T Window module is a bit out there so if I cover it, I'll do it in another thread or my build thread to avoid any confusion in this one.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think it is pretty much all generic to other systems.  In fact, take a look at how the '96 keyless entry system controls the horn - upper right below.

And, we have the '96 KES on the website now: Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1996 EVTM/Keyless Entry.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks a lot for adding that 96 doc.

Good news and bad news on the factory horn relay.
It works but not well enough. I guess the 200mA output isn't enough to fully energize that style of relay. So instead of honking it just kind of does a very quiet and weak grunt.
I twist-wired in a ground triggered/ground out relay with the output still going to the DB of the factory relay and ground trigger being the 200mA from the Viper module to test with and it works great. Honks the same as if you use the steering wheel button.

At least with any system that only output 200mA, it appears a newer style relay is needed.

Could be:

1. Inline (before the factory relay like in my testing)
2. In place of the factory relay
3. In the engine bay with a ground triggered/12v out relay directly feeding the hot side of the horn

3 is what I was originally going to go with and looks like I am back to that
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I'd be inclined to go with Door #2.  One less thing to go wrong.

But, I'd test it first.  There's some real trickery going on with the resistors in the horn pad.  So I'd put a Bosch relay in the factory relay's place and check.  Pretty sure it'll work.  And it is by your right knee.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I keep going back and forth  It would definitely be one less thing to go wrong.

Out of curiosity I measured the draw of the relay by hooking one lead to the test wire that was jammed in the female spade terminal (for DB) of the connector and then pushed onto the relay. The other lead I grounded. Horn went off (strong sound) and the multimeter showed a .15 draw.

I would have expected the 200mA to handle it but guess not.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is apparently a voltage thing then.  Most solid state systems will have a .7v drop across them, and perhaps battery voltage less .7v isn't quite enough to pull that relay in.

Do you have another of those relays?  Check to see what it takes.

And back to the doors, since you are big on leaving the truck such that it could be put back stock, I guess having another relay wouldn't be a bad thing.  But, since you have already added a lead to the ground side of the stock relay, why not put the to-be relay in the cab next to the factory relay?  That way the RKE system can be removed, along with the extra relay w/o having to fish wire from under the hood.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I didn't even think about voltage drop.

If I was going about this differently I would hands down look into replacing the factory relay with a bosch style. Even securing a bosch relay to the same bolt as the factory relay and wiring it inline would still be clean.

And at least it gives others some options. I don't have another relay like that in my shop but next time I get to my parents (parts trucks) or jy I'll pull one and test it.

But unfortunately, like you stated, neither of those really fit with my standard...approach(?). Whatever the word would be.

So I made a factory looking jumper to go between where the DB wire connects to the yellow wire (for dual horns) up by the left hand turn signal

I have a plan for how the final relay will be installed and wires routed but for right now I have just hooked up one of the fused relays and have it hanging out on the drivers side platform.

I think that leaves the Ground When Armed /Starter Kill as the only thing left before a guide can be put together.

Scott