676 messages Options
12345678 ... 34
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1982 Bronco XLT

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary just posted some pictures of one of Big Blue's tank strainers.
Chock full of rust.
And Big Blue seemed to be a healthy 460, so I can only imagine how bad it must be for your truck to have a check ball off the seat in just a week.

What does that filter look like now?

But you have to start somewhere.
A gas tank is about $100 and sending units seem around 50.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
It didn't look bad when I glanced at it but I'll check again and take a pic. All I did last time to was just take the accelerator nozzle off and shoot some carb cleaner down the plunger hole, then took the plunger and slowly went down and it started working again.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had fits with a 2150, which is the Motorcraft 2bbl that you probably have, plugging the discharge jets with rust.  That's when I went to two filters.  So if you pull the nozzles be sure to clean them, and if you are going to stick something through them be sure to use something softer than they are, like small copper wire.  I like to use a strand from a piece of stranded wire.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
He said he has an Edelbrock carb and intake.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.

I don't have time to go back and read the whole thread.  I looked at the signature and it said "1982 Bronco - 5.0L/C6".  So, without further guidance, I assumed the stock 2150 was still on there.  (Hint, hint, hint, ....  )

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's unfortunate Nabble can't do post counts.

Back two pages when he was discussing throttle brackets and you showed pictures from FTE of how you cut 'n paste the stock Ford cable mount.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My point exactly.  The info is two pages back.  That would take time I don't have to find.  I'll look at the signatures and go from there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My "Too much other stuff to mention" isn't very descriptive, but it does give the idea that all is not what it seems at first glance.

It's a blessing (and a curse) that I have the retention that I do.
Just another aspect of my autism.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As I told Janey a few minutes ago, I can't remember anything between now and 1969, but I have pretty good recall of the 60's.  (A jingle that plays on the radio station I listen to says "If you remember the 60's you weren't really there", so I guess we know who the straight-arrow was.)

My "truck" time these days is being split between getting things lined out for the show and alerting everyone, adding pages to the website, working in the background to getting a new home for the forum, answering email about trucks, and working on Big Blue.  I'm happy to help people, but don't want to spend the time to figure out what they have if it could have been in the signature.  

So I'm envious of you'uns that can remember the details.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My time is coming.

Pretty soon I won't remember if I ate today.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

My "truck" time these days is being split between getting things lined out for the show and alerting everyone, adding pages to the website, working in the background to getting a new home for the forum, answering email about trucks, and working on Big Blue.  I'm happy to help people, but don't want to spend the time to figure out what they have if it could have been in the signature.  
Gary, very much appreciate all that you have done and continue to do here. You too, Jim. I've been real needy lately but the two of you and a few other members have always been prompt and willing to help me out. I am grateful.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is a labor of love. And I enjoy helping. Gives me a sense of contribution. But things are getting a bit hectic at the moment, so I really appreciate the others jumping in. Many hands make the load light.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
 Many hands make the load light.
My mother used to say that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Weberman
Started it today and got it moving. Still wanted to die when put in gear, so I limped it down and turned the fuel screws half turn to see if it was just a fuel issue in gear. It idles in gear but wanted to die before it moved. Limped it back and seemed better so I got on it a bit and it still stumbled but didn't dip way down like it usually did. After that it seemed to be fine. There is still the stumble from the accelerator pump I assume but it drove and could actually move the pedal somewhat normal again. So whats the thought on the tank? Plastic vs Steel? I just don't want to do a steel and then have problems a few years later.

Also put more in my sig so there doesn't need to be backtracking
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think steel is inferior.
Look, it took 38 years for that one to go bad.

And I'm not sure if your '82 sat neglected for a long time at some point in its life.
One of the WORST things you can do to a fuel system is let it sit for an extended period.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I think the guy I bought it from said it sat for a year, and who knows before that. I would be safe to say I probably need new everything? Straps, sending unit, tank, etc.. vs just the tank? I imagine by looking at the tailgate and if the fuel system is that dirty, that the straps won't be fun to get off or put back on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Also going to try to do the smoke test today, which hose should I pull to put smoke through it to see the intake leak? Brake booster? Am I looking for smoke coming from the valve covers?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wouldn't want to touch any vacuum lines.

You'll need to block off the carb anyhow (with a piece of foam rubber, towel, batt of insulation, whatever...)

A layer of plastic wrap first will get it air tight.

Be looking everywhere:
Vacuum trees front and rear.
Carb base
Intake gaskets.
HVAC tube and reservoir.
Obviously, if you see smoke coming out the oil filler/vent then you have reason to believe the a manifold gasket is leaking into the valley.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
For the smoke test, I used the small vacuum line which normally connected to the temperature sensor in the air cleaner. The air cleaner was removed so that the carburetor throat could be sealed [I used duct tape].
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Weberman
Well, I couldn't get the intake totally sealed. Tried some wrap but it leaked out. BUT. Did find a good leak. It came right out and it didn't leak out the top of the carb til a finger was placed over it. What is this? Is there supposed to be a screw here? Like I said smoke came right out and when it was running it pulled my finger in hard. Idle didn't seem to change though which makes me think more maybe but.. this is a step in the right direction.
12345678 ... 34