676 messages Options
1234567 ... 34
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1982 Bronco XLT

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Beyond the "controlled leak" of the PCV check valve.

If you have the throttle stop backed off to where you can see daylight and the idle still won't come down you have a leak somewhere.

It might be into the valley, with no external leaks.
Maybe pull the vent on the left side and hold a rag over the filler.
Will it throttle down then?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Could it possibly be the idle screw on the fast idle cam not adjusted properly? Never messed with an Edelbrock carb.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I open the choke all the way and make sure that the fast idle cam isn't on it either. I'll have to plug everything and see. I heard about the booster before so I pinched the line really quick and nothing happened. The other vacuum line goes to the one on the firewall which goes down to the trans and HVAC. I took the PCV valve off too to see. Question about that. I have smoke still coming out of the breather when its running. The valve is new. Is it supposed to do that at idle? Also would that indicate no vacuum leak under there since it would probably suck in and not let the smoke come out?
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The PCV is there for a few reasons:

To remove condensation that naturally occurs in the engine (as the oil reaches 212F/100C) water is driven off as steam.

To remove oil smoke from contacting sources like piston bottoms and the heated crossover in the intake manifold.

To remove pressure caused by ring blow by. If the crankcase becomes pressurised it will start pushing oil past the gaskets and seals.

All this is to say allowing 'smoke' to escape is its purpose.

But again, you can have an internal vacuum leak and never find it.
I would check ALL other options before pulling the intake.

If you had a Holley I might suggest the secondaries are open too much, and THAT adjustment screw is underneath the carb.
In which case I would have suggested stuffing the secondaries with a rag and seeing if it changes things.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
This post was updated on .
I hope it isn't internal. I wouldn't think it would be since it was before and after I had the intake off to take the head off so thats two different times by two different people. I'm basically looking at the other vacuum line now hopefully.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Went up to the junkyard and got the extension and sender. Its at the O on normal on warm idle so, whatever psi that is haha.

As of the idle still not sure. I put a vice clamp on the PCV valve and it seemed to idle lower when hot. Still space inbetween but its low. I took off the HVAC hose and it was sucking pretty good and put my finger on it and there wasnt a change. Took the vacuum manifold supply hose off and put my finger on it and there wasn't a change, so I guess the trans and HVAC isn't a leak. Would a valve cover gasket be a vacuum leak since the PCV is on it? I say that because the gaskets I had were not that good and leaked everywhere and I've had to keep tightening them. They still leak some but the tops could be letting some in for all I know and wouldn't show a leak.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The PCV is a "calibrated" leak, that is always there (and accounted for)

You could pull the valve right out of the grommet and it shouldn't change a thing.

But your engine will probably start leaking and getting gunked up more, and it won't be as good at boiling off condensation.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Weberman
I messed with the fuel screws and got it to idle lower and then could use the idle screw. The vacuum was pretty low and then I adjusted it back to the highest vacuum, which was about 3 turns out. Still not touching the idle screw, but seems to be idling lower after it sat over night with me messing with it. Took it out on the county road and in then higher rpms, it just falls right on its face. Also idles low enough in gear while driving after on the pedal for a bit, that it tries/does die when getting off the throttle at low speeds like turning. So too high/too low.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It still looks like you have a vacuum leak.

But lets talk vacuum advance.  Where do you have it connected - manifold or ported vacuum?  I'm guessing manifold from what you said.  So I suggest you move it to ported vacuum, meaning that you won't have vacuum to the advance at idle.

The issue is that with manifold vacuum, meaning that you have vacuum at idle, you have so much advance that it is hard to get it to idle down.  But if you do get it to idle down when you drop it in gear the vacuum goes away and the idle is much lower.  Way too low.

Give ported vacuum a try.  I don't see in your sig what carb you have so I can't tell you where ported vacuum might be.  But usually there's one vacuum connection that has no vacuum at idle and it comes in just off idle.  Try that one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
The advance is on ported vacuum. Timing is around 10-11*
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, then I'm at a loss.  I still think you have a vacuum leak.  But I think we need to get someone else to jump in to help.  I'm out of suggestions.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Smoke it... or smoke the crankcase and see if it is -indeed- a valley leak.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yeah I've sprayed around the carb base, vacuum lines, and the fittings and theres no change in idle. I need to get a piece of cardboard for sure but I sprayed the port on the back of the carb for a little bit and it reved up at the end, but I think it was the spray that close and long finally going into the intake. Need to double check like I said. I guess that leaves valley. Wouldn't think that both times it was idiling high since I bought it from a guy and then I redid it, but who knows at this point. Come to think of it, in the video it was idling fine, but it had the Ford tbi on it, not the carb I had. It's pretty well a new carb. Its sat a couple years from getting a different motor in with me going to school and with me taking the parts out and ultrasonic cleaning them I think it would be good but I'm wondering if it somehow has a part in it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim suggested the smoke test.  But if the leak is from the valley in it might take a lot of smoke.  If you put it into the carb, say through the PCV hose, you'd watch for it coming out through the PCV opening in the valve cover or the breather tube going up to the carb.

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Are there any home made smoke testers?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  David/1986F150Six made his own.  He pulled the air cleaner and found something that would go down over the carb to seal it.  Got a Swisher Sweet and blew smoke into one of the vacuum lines - maybe the PCV or brake booster with the place where it came off of plugged.  It think he said it took two puffs for it to start coming out where a vacuum line was cracked.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Yes, Sir! Two puffs and the leak was evident.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey guys. Been awhile. Started a new job and its hot out so haven't been doing too much on the Bronco since I don't have a shop. Still need to do the smoke test, maybe this weekend because the high is supposed to be like 80. I started it the other day and anything above idle in drive it would die unless you really really really slowly applied more throttle. I'm wondering if the tank isn't just rusty like I somewhat mentioned before and giving me half of my headaches. It seems to act different every time it sits for a few days. The fuel just being dirty/nasty from the tank and causing these problems? Steel or plastic? I would like plastic because of 0 rust ever again but also twice the cost. Can you do anything to the steel tanks to help them? I'm sure today's fuel doesn't help probably with the rust issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Considered putting a clear plastic in-line filter and seeing how dirty the fuel is?

Ethanol gas can certainly phase separate and cause 'water bottom'
I don't seem to have any problem because I drive my truck every day, but you might try a cheap endoscope camera made for cell phones.
For me, the $15 peace of mind is FAR better than having to drop a tank.

If it is phase separated a $10 gallon of denatured can push the equilibrium back to where you have useable fuel.

I'd probably do an accelerator pump volume test before any of this.

Edit: I haven't looked back through this thread, so be entitled to tell me I'm a dumba$$ if I'm covering old ground.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
At very first I didn't have a filter on but I put it on when I had that no start/accelerator pump issue(that turned out to be timing but the accelerator pump didn't work either so) Also the accelerator pump isn't working again. Actually only like a week after I cleaned everything and made sure it was working again, nothing comes out at all again. I could drive it like that, just it would stumble for a second but then be fine. This time it was very bad like I said, really really really slow.
1234567 ... 34