494 messages Options
12345678 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834
Administrator
I didn't have much time today, but some ordered parts came in the mail and I decided to start with the fuel sender.

I didn't get a chance to test the output of the old gauge upon removal, but one obvious problem was the float was cracked and filled with fuel.

Another benefit of pulling the sender was that I discovered the fuel hose was gummy and crumbly like black licorice. It seemed fine when I originally inspected it several months ago, but once I started twisting and pulling on it it turned to mush. Memo to self, just replace these for peace of mind no matter how they look.

And since I had the support straps removed, I decided to replace them with the correct 4x4 skid plates upon re-installation.

Once done, I got a reading of just over 1/4 tank on the gauge. I don't know if it's accurate, but I did add a 5 gallon can to the tank so it is showing at least that. The needle does seem to pulse or float slightly, but I have not made a permanent bridge for the wires in the tank selector plug. Eventually I'd like to do the ICVR upgrade, but hopefully I can leave that for another day and it will read decently enough as-is.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
One thing I still need to get/do is the blower motor resistor. I found this fairly good video that explains in gory detail exactly how every aspect of how the circuit works, what the resistance of each coil is, and why you will destroy the protection circuit within seconds if you plug it in and turn on the fan without installing the resistor in the blower box. At 11 minutes it's probably more info than most want, but it's good info 😇

https://youtu.be/plyx0nCdvfs

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You had a good day!  👍  I think the fuel gauge will work well now, without the ICVR upgrade, but thats a good upgrade when you get to it.

On the blower motor resistor pack video, that’s a great find. Mind if I put a link to it in the references?

So, overall what do you have left to do before you can leave on vacation?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Yes, absolutely Gary! That video would make a good addition to the resources folder 🙂

As far as what's left... well... there is a critical list and a non-critical list 😉

Critical:
-Install shocks
-16" wheels/tires
-Front end alignment
-Windshield replacement
-Engine side cover gasket
-Vacuum harness/put dash back together
-front amber lights
-insurance/registration

Non-critical (but still a goal)
-Speedometer gear
-Blower resistor
-Put interior together
-Fix 4K tachometer
-Fix tilt column
-Mount bullnose console to 40/20/40 seat pan

I'm just about to pull the trigger on some rims. I found out that US wheel makes several styles of 5 lug 16's in a 7" width. The ones I showed before were the rat-rod black discs. The ones I like better are a more stock looking white spoke design. The white ones also have a higher load rating. I believe these will do it:

I'm going to ask my local shop and see if they can match the eBay price, but I'm pretty well decided that's what I want.

I will be headed to the junkyard before work today to pick up a vacuum harness and that missing defrost baffle. I'm going to hit it hard this weekend and hopefully start driving it to work by the end of next week to iron out any problems.

Oh, and one more thing! By now you probably know that I really like my trucks stock looking and generally steer away from aftermarket or home-grown modifications... but for once I'm going to make an exception. My wife is 5' tall and has always had issues with sun visors being way too high. On my last junkyard trip I found a solution that will help her enjoy the truck. It is horrid looking as-is, but I can fix ugly and it works great! It mounts to the stock sunvisor holes so no permanent changes need to be made. The center part will probably have to go, but we'll see what I can do with this:

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Those wheels aren't known for holding up wheel, as far as cosmetics go. Not sure what you expect o how this truck is to be used. If I were buying some to use, I would scuff the surface and spray a couple coats of automotive grade clear on them. That may be beyond your scope, but those wheels seem to rust quickly.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Got the video included in the Resources/Electrical.

As for the list, that looks like a lot to do, but if you get to start driving it soon you'll obviously be getting close.  And if there are things I have that you need, just let me know.

I do like the original-look of the wagon wheels.  And, they meet your size needs, so good find.  

And, while the overhead thingee isn't original, if your wife likes it and it helps her, then so much the better.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Pete, thanks for that tip. My dad bought wheels just like these for the 1968 F250 that I now have, and that's more or less what I noticed. They are getting rusty in the corners and creases which is premature in my opinion considering the climate and lack of use. I will consider painting them/clear coating them. I'm not crazy about the red/blue pin stripes either but they are subtle.

Gary, I thought my list was getting short (!) but it's all relative... after you've checked off 4x4 swap, the rest of the list seems more manageable. Also quite a few of the items are not things I have to do myself, just arrange the appointments. I've already been driving it (around the block) and I consider it "there". I probably won't get to the special tach and steering column, but I might fiddle with them at home if I get time. I have basically a month. Notice that "frame chop" and "flareside bed" did not make either list *this time! 😇

As far as the shelf thingy, this was a quick grab. If it does not work out I can easily reverse it or replace it with a more elegant solution. My wife and I are just nuts for each other and it only gets stronger with each anniversary. Our favorite type of quality time together is getting out camping, hiking, kayaking (fill in the blank). She likes my trucks but has not been able to drive them. She managed the diesel but just barely. I have installed clutch pedal blocks on her cars as she likes manuals. She has taken a shine to this '81 and it is more hers than mine (as ridiculous as that line is in a relationship like ours). Anyway, I want to make as easy and comfortable for her to drive as I possibly can. There will be more to come on this as she drives it and tells me what she needs. Raising the clutch pedal will be a must. I thought her blocks would drive me crazy but I don't even notice them. Sometimes awesome things come in small packages 😉

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds like you are truly in love.    And, if she likes "your" truck, then all the better.

I can't tell you how happy I was when Janey suggested we take Dad's truck to the East Coast to deliver furniture several years ago.  My sister-in-law didn't think I should drive it home from Kansas, and my wife had confidence that I'd have it bullet-proof.  

As for the list, there's a certain corner that you turn when it feels like all else is downhill.  It looks like you've reached it.  Congrat's!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Unfortunately I did ~not make it to the junkyard today... but I will go Friday morning after work.

I went to my small town local tire shop and they were able to beat the eBay price on the rims. Unfortunately they are on backorder, but my set of 5 rims should be here in 10-14 days.They can also do the TTB alignment. I've bought three sets of car tires from them and I've never left unhappy.

Next I went back to the same glass shop that did my diesel. Last time they were able to order a custom glass that is clear all the way to the edges. Then they hand painted a primer border to protect the adhesive. This is the only way I know to get a windshield that does not cover up the VIN. It is amazing to me that the 87-96 style is all you can find. They have to verify availability, but they were very good to me last time when they had to correct the VIN mask problem. They won't be able to do it until after the thanksgiving holiday, but I know I will get the right glass and a quality install from them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is good to have local people you can rely on. Glad you found the wheels at a good price. As for the windshield, that is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. If you get the part number for the glass it might be a help to others.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
When I go to get the glass done I will ask about the manufacturer and part number of the windshield that they use. Most owners are just accepting the 87-96 windshield as "the way things are" now. The windshield manufacturers are actually listing that as the correct part for the 80-86 application. It would be fine to have one part number for both, but it needs to have an enlarged VIN window to accommodate both locations. The glass shop defended their mistake inasmuch that it was what the book called for, but did not give me any guff about correcting it. It's not as pretty as a factory trimmed glass but I can read my VIN 🙂

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I ran into serious problems trying to sell a truck with the newer windshield in it. Found a very accommodating state DOT guy that was willing to use a mirror to verify the VIN after we pulled the dash cover off. But most won’t.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have run into the same problem as did a fellow NNS O31 employee. The glass chain stores for the most part do not comprehend the fact that Ford moved the VIN tag to the left starting in 1987 to make it easier to read from the driver's side. It gets real interesting if you go to put a newer dash in a 1980-86 cab.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I went junkyarding today which was a little rough because there was a screaming wind and it started to rain. This makes life hard with dirt blowing in your eyes, and doors slamming on your legs as you work.

I looked at many trucks and Broncos and not a single one had anything between the heater box and the defrost manifold. Some were worse than others, but they all seemed to have the gap there. Newer trucks (85/86?) sat almost all the way down over the hole, but most had just as large a gap as mine. So I don't know what is with the square piece shown in the diagram unless it was some kind of foam that invariably missing by now? I looked at 14 bullnoses, I believe, and none had anything there. So I guess I won't worry about it, or devise my own weatherstripping.

No luck on the speedometer drive gear. There were only three in the yard and none had the yellow gear... however there was a 1989 F250 with a 1345 and the axle code was 35 (should be 3.55's). The drive gear was lime green. The driven gear was peach color, 19 teeth. So perhaps this is the 8 tooth gear in the catalog with the part number listed as TBA? I wonder if it would fit my earlier 1345? I might have to ask the Ford dealer about that part number and see if it is also a type 12. Honesty the transfer case is in such nice shape I am somewhat tempted to buy the whole thing and use it. It is a school district fleet truck and was gently used.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On issue at a time: HVAC this time.  Here are pics of the pieces I showed previously:

And here they are together:

So, what's different to yours?  Do you want these?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Buying that t-case might be a good solution. Although it looks like it'll cost you $125 you can probably sell yours for a lot of that.  But make sure you get the driven gear.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If I had known you wanted one of those, I would have given it to you, I took it out of mine because it hung too low for me. It came from Advance Auto when my son worked there.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the offer on the parts Gary, but from what I can tell they are identical to the ones that I already have. Mine would dry-fit just like that out of the truck, but when mounted to the firewall holes thedefrost duct is held away from the box. Unless there is a way to adjust the position of the heater box it seems to just be designed that way. Like I said, I saw it on all of the junkyard trucks. It is very odd. 🤷‍♂️

I need to think on that transfer case issue. It is a better unit, but I won't be keeping it anyway if I add overdrive. The driven gear would not be correct, as it was for 3.55's and mine are 3.00, but being 19 tooth I could hopefully go down to 16 or 17 and get close? I will ask at the Ford dealer and see if the green gear is available and if it is type 12 or not.

I forgot to mention my haul for the day...

-1985 vacuum harness
- Clock wire harness
- HVAC plug for Fuzzface
- Black center seat belt for Taden
- another metal blend door for my diesel
- MC brake lines for diesel since I stole them for the F150 hydroboost
- ZF inspection cover
- two motorcraft heater blower resistors

Too much rain/wind for anything else...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Now I understand - they fit fine off the truck but have a gap on. Weird.

On the t-case, I’d forgotten about the overdrive. It replaces the t-case?  I assumed it was in addition.

And that was quite a haul, especially given the adverse conditions. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The overdrive technically does not replace the transfer case, it bolts onto the back of it. However the 1345 has no tail piece. Gear Vendors solved that by making a proprietary rear case half that accepts their adapter. Essentially it makes a 1345 like a 1356 with the tail pieceremoved. That is what I had in my diesel. If I use the GVOD in this truck I will swap in the entire transfer case and overdrive unit that came from my diesel. The speedometer drive gear will then be located inside the GVOD and will be a GM part. If I use the DNE2, it will have to bolt up to the 1356 that came with one of my ZF-5's. The tailhousing will come off, and I have flanges to make an adapter to mount the overdrive. Again, the drive gear would be inside the DNE2 and would be a GM part.

This is a very complicated decision that involves both trucks' gearing and how best to use the parts that I have. The relatively high value of the GVOD and the possibility of selling it is also a factor. Like I've mentioned before, I'm not thrilled by auxiliary overdrives, but they do accomplish an important goal. The first step for this truck is to get the 235-85R16's on it and try driving it with the diesel 4 speed and see how I like it and see if it really needs an overdrive. If the mpg and highway power band is okay I may just leave it at 3.00 gears and tallish tires.

12345678 ... 25