123456 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yesterday was a very long and frustrating day of fighting with details...the goal was to get all the instrumentation working and I pretty much failed...

I did properly mount the mechanical temperature gauge, and the matching oil pressure gauge. I spent an hour in the hardware store in the brass section getting the parts to get both the mechanical and electrical oil pressure units working. I routed the lines through the speedometer cable hole in the firewall since I hate adding holes...

About that speedometer... I had a brand new cable that came with the donor truck. It reached, but the hold down did not jive with the BW1345. I did clamp it down, and it felt like the plastic gear engaged (cable would not turn by hand) but when driving the cable does not move. Either I have the wrong cable, the wrong gear, or the T-case drive gear is bad. What am I missing with regards to this hold down? The original cable was removed by the PO so I don't know what should be there.

So I struck out with the speedometer and moved on to the fuel gauge. The other three electric gauges work, but I get nothing from the fuel gauge. Someone deleted the fuel selector on the frame rail and bypassed the midship tank. But I read that (except for 460 and diesel) the gauge selection happens at the dash switch. I pulled the plug and I'm thinking about bridging the wires that I need for the rear fuel sender since I removed the midship tank completely. This is the nightmare gauge to deal with, and from what I can tell there are no replacement senders for a 1981.

And lastly, (has nothing to do with gauges but relates to the HVAC switches) the heater blower motor is always running as soon as the key is turned. The switch for speed works, but the lower one when "off" is selected does not idle the blower. So it looks like it might be junkyard time to get another HVAC controller.

The details on this thing are driving me nuts. It's hard to believe I could spend a whole day at it and get almost nothing accomplished 🙄
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Some days are like that. And then some days go like yesterday when Jim started pulling parts for me and the guy called to say I am getting the ‘90 F250. You just learn to have fun on each and every day. 😉

On the fuel gauge, the pulsing output of the ICVR should be easy to follow. I’d start at the switch on the dash, which does switch the gauge like you said, and see where it goes from there.

As for the speedo cable, have you tried spinning it with a drill down at the t-case?  That’ll tell you if the cable and speedo itself are working. If so, maybe you have the wrong type of gear?  The types are shown here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-driven-gears.html.

On the blower, is yours integrated A/C?  If so I should have an extra control if that is what you need.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary, that page will be very helpful since I did not get the original cable or gear that went to my transfer case. Perhaps it is a type 2 vs 2a problem? I still don't understand about the cable hold down. It's like I'm missing something that should be held down by the wishbone bracket...

The cable itself works. If I pull the gear end out of the transfer case and turn it by hand the speedometer needle moves. The transfer case is not driving the gear. It feels like the driven gear is engaged, (you can't turn the square cable end from the speedometer connecting side) but while driving I can look at the cable and see that it is not turning. The driven gear that I put in is the one from the 2wd T18, so it might be the wrong type for the BW1345. I didn't expect it would be accurate because of the gear ratio change, but I was hoping it would at least work.

So one of the wires at the fuel tank selector switch is receiving a pulsing current from the gauge cluster? I will have to spend some time with the EVTM and face the dreaded... electrical stuff is my weakest suit. I did find new sending units which is a relief, should mine turn out to be bad.

Thanks for the offer on the HVAC controller. Mine does have integral AC, but I might just see if I can find one from a single tank truck just to clean it up a bit. I have no intention of putting a second tank back in. If I am dissatisfied with the 19 gallon I will go to a Bronco 33 gallon or 38 gallon Spectra tank.

I normally do not get too frustrated with my truck progress, but I'm getting anxious to get this one functional because (a) I want to take a trip in it in December while my wife is out of school, and (b) I want to start working on the diesel. It's time for that project to move forward.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
There may be enough drag on that drive gear that holding the tiny cable end doesn't give you the torque needed to make the gear spin. I would use a screwdriver or my finger if it fit, to turn the drive gear and see if it is loose of attached to the shaft.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Jonathan - I understand the urgency to get it ready for an excursion with your wife on her break. Planning to take the trailer?

As for the speedo gear, this page (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-drive-gears.html) seems to say that both the 4-speed T-18 and the transfer cases use a right-handed drive gear. So the same driven gear should work, I would think. 

On the fuel gauge wiring, I'll take a look and post some wires to check. 

On Sunday, October 22, 2017, Ford F834 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Gary, that page will be very helpful since I did not get the original cable or gear that went to my transfer case. Perhaps it is a type 2 vs 2a problem? I still don't understand about the cable hold down. It's like I'm missing something that should be held down by the wishbone bracket...

The cable itself works. If I pull the gear end out of the transfer case and turn it by hand the speedometer needle moves. The transfer case is not driving the gear. It feels like the driven gear is engaged, (you can't turn the square cable end from the speedometer connecting side) but while driving I can look at the cable and see that it is not turning. The driven gear that I put in is the one from the 2wd T18, so it might be the wrong type for the BW1345. I didn't expect it would be accurate because of the gear ratio change, but I was hoping it would at least work.

So one of the wires at the fuel tank selector switch is receiving a pulsing current from the gauge cluster? I will have to spend some time with the EVTM and face the dreaded... electrical stuff is my weakest suit. I did find new sending units which is a relief, should mine turn out to be bad.

Thanks for the offer on the HVAC controller. Mine does have integral AC, but I might just see if I can find one from a single tank truck just to clean it up a bit. I have no intention of putting a second tank back in. If I am dissatisfied with the 19 gallon I will go to a Bronco 33 gallon or 38 gallon Spectra tank.

I normally do not get too frustrated with my truck progress, but I'm getting anxious to get this one functional because (a) I want to take a trip in it in December while my wife is out of school, and (b) I want to start working on the diesel. It's time for that project to move forward.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 SRW under construction-- 7.3 IDIT R&D 64mm intercooled turbo 150cc IP stage 1 cam main girdle 13" Southbend clutch ZF-5 + DNE2 overdrive 4.10 axle gears hydroboost brakes

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4 conversion-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, Gear Vendor OD in the works

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/1981-straight-six-manual-4x4-project-tp1312p2873.html
To start a new topic under Projects, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml%2Bs12971n74h78@n8.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml+s12971n74h78@...
To unsubscribe from Bullnose Enthusiasts, click here.
NAML

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - As shown below, the yellow/white wire comes from the fuel gauge to the selector switch. And from the switch a dark blue/yellow wire goes to the front sender, and a yellow/light blue hash wire goes to the rear sender. And since the ICVR supplies power to the gauges, anything seen on those wires should be pulsing.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you Gary! I did not intend to Tom Sawyer you into doing my EVTM homework for me… but I will certainly take the help. From the looks of it I need to check for pulsating power at the Y/W wire, then bridge it to the Y/LB-H wire. Check the tank connector end and the ground. If all that’s good then is has to be a bad sender. What could possibly go wrong! 🙄

I will pull the speedometer cable and try to check the drive gear with a small screw driver to make sure it isn’t spinning in the transfer case. I have twisted pretty good on the cable square end with needle nose and there is resistance and the cable springs back, so it really feels like its engaged… but no telling what happened since the PO was trying to solve the problem with a brand new cable… I still think something is wrong based on the hold down but we shall see.

Gary on this trip we will not tow the vintage camper. Unfortunately we have quite a few things stored in it at the moment. It needs some maintenance to be road worthy in itself, and frankly it is a bit much for the straight six. It can do the job, but it is very slow and can cause dangerous situations. That is what the diesel power upgrades are all about. That’s okay, we enjoy tent camping also… but depending on the weather we might come home very motivated to get the F350 running for next time!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Makes sense to me.  Hope you get things going so you two can take off for a while.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I am reaching a dead end with the fuel gauge... and it is driving me nuts!

- I have pulsing current to the yellow/white stripe wire at the tank switch.
- When I bridge that wire to the yellow/blue-dashed wire I get pulsing current to one of the rear tank terminals.
- When I use the second terminal as my meter ground it reads the pulsing current so the ground is good.
- When I measure the resistance between the two tank terminals I get 40 ohms. That is at least reasonable for a partial tank of gas.
- When I turn the key the gauge needle does actually move, but less than a needle width over about 5 seconds.

I'm at a loss. All the wiring seems to test out and the sender resistance is reasonable and should show on the gauge. And more than one gauge was tested and they both do the same thing. Two different ICVR's as well...
🤷‍♂️

I'm no closer with the speedometer hold down mystery, but I did check the drive gear inside the transfer case and it feels slightly apple-core shaped. Perhaps it is just worn. I guess my next move will be new plastic gears (hopefully correct for my ratio and tires) and a new rear transfer case seal which I need anyway...

I found a HVAC controller with AC and no tank selector. It was from a motorhome. The vacuum and AC switch itself is a different color and has a different engineering number so I grabbed another truck vacuum electrical switch just in case. Hopefully this will take care of my constantly running blower motor problem. I'm hoping tomorrow I can dig deeper into the dash and replace that and address the blend door issue.

I replaced the window glass run felts and the outside belt line felts. The glass run felts turned into quite a job. The old rubber was tightly stuck in the lower channels. It was brittle and came out one tiny chunk at a time. Someone had attempted this job before and gave up. The upper section of felt around the window opening was newer and had been cut where the extensions go down inside the door 🙄. The glass is stiffer to roll up and down now, but nicely sealed 👍

I finally got around to putting in my door locks. I still need to drill holes for the rods/pin locks but at least the rest is put back together and I can lock the truck from the outside.

When I was messing with the gauges the other day I noticed the dipstick brace was not secured. I took it upon myself to "fix" it, and now I'm hemorrhaging oil out of the side cover... I guess I'm ordering a gasket set for that now. I just couldn't leave it alone!
🙈

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I had a discussion going on FTE about wheels for this truck. In spite of the fact that David gave me a most beautiful set of stock rims at the GTG, I just have not been able to bring myself to buy more tires that I hate. You can't find tall and skinny in a 15" rim unless you go with bias ply super swampers which are for a very specific use. I was going to give up on the super rare 16" 5 lug Ford rims and run 31x10.5's, but I was trolling the internet and found these... what do you all think? Does anyone know what the OEM rim backspace is?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-69-7755

They are 16" rims, they are only 7" wide (correct for the 235/85R16 that I want to run). They are 5x5.5 bolt circle. The center hole is big enough for my front 4x4 hubs. Do I have a winner? The backspace is 4", offset is zero. They might not be everyone's cup of tea as far as taste but I don't mind them. I usually prefer a steel wheel. And I definitely prefer the load range E truck tires over the lighter 15" tires. I just don't tend to have problems with E's on road or off.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Great find regarding the wheels, Jonathan! You are making a lot of progress!!

Jonathan, I suggest that you sell the factory set of buggy wheels and either contribute that money to the family budget or towards the purchase of the 16" wheels, which is what you have really wanted all along!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  No progress until 🤮.   (Just kidding, Jonathan. Wanted to try out the new emoji.  😈)

Anyway, have you tried taking the non-ground terminal at the tank directly to ground?  You could bridge the two terminals as a start, but if that doesn’t work than put a ground directly on the wire from the switch - just in case there is something wrong with either the ground or the sender itself. And if that doesn’t work ground the yellow/white wire at the switch. Keep moving up the circuit until it does work.

I’ll bet the wind noise is a lot less with the window runs replaces. I need to do that to Big Blue, but one thing at a time.  

On the wheels, I don’t know the original specs, but might be able to measure a wheel today if you want.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary, I must need to update because I can't see the emoji, it's just a square box. I don't know why I didn't think to test the gauge by grounding out the yellow/white wire... that should make the gauge peg to full, no? Sender is supposed to measure  10 ohms full, 72 ohms empty?

I forgot I can measure the backspace on David's wheels... I was in the mindset of regular steel rims. I know my aftermarket ones are way different because of the width.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, just start grounding and see where it works.  It'll go full scale pretty quickly because you'll be at less than 10 ohms, but just don't leave it on for too long.

And, I also forgot about the wheels from David.  They'd be easier to measure than mine with mounted tires.

And, the emoji does look like a little square box on anything that isn't on iOS 11.1.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ford F834 wrote
I forgot I can measure the backspace on [Jonathan's] wheels... I was in the mindset of regular steel rims. I know my aftermarket ones are way different because of the width.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
Ford F834 wrote
I forgot I can measure the backspace on [Jonathan's] wheels... I was in the mindset of regular steel rims. I know my aftermarket ones are way different because of the width.
Thanks David, I am disappointed not to use them as they are so nice, but unfortunately an inch too small for the tires I like 😔

In other news I went to work on the truck today and forgot my box of new HVAC parts at home 🙈 Some days are just like that and this was one of them...

I did some more testing on the fuel gauge situation and found my gauge pegs quickly to full when I bridge the two sockets on the tank connector so it isn't the gauge. Then I borrowed my dad's multi meter which has 1x ohm sensitivity and checked the sender terminals again.  I measured 70 ohms... which is, well, empty. It seems odd that it would be gone as I have only driven 150 miles at the absolute most since filling the tank. That would be horrific mileage for a straight six, but the original carb was running very rich and the exhaust stunk. So before I go any further I'm going to bring a 5 gallon can of gas to it and see if it changes. It could possibly just be empty!

Next I pulled off the bent front bumper and bent cross member. I put in the front receiver modified cross member and a better bumper that I had.

I finished the pin lock conversion by drilling holes for the pin lock rods and snapping them in. The factory holes are large and slightly elongated, but I found that a well-placed 1/2" hole works fine.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!  I like the front receiver- and you will as well. I, again, put the trailer between the lift uprights, and this time did it by myself. Try that backing up. 😉

As for the fuel gauge, you are closing in on the problem. 150 miles on a 14 or 16 gallon tank isn’t unheard of if the choke is on or some other malady exists. And especially if there’s a lot of starting and stopping and cold-startup.

On the pin locks, have you changed the locks themselves to the later style?  If not, up will be locked and down will be in-locked. (I think we’ve had this conversation, but I’ve slept since then.  🙁)

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, shouldn't the rear tank be 19 gallons? The carb that came on it was bad. Turning the mixture screw had no effect whatsoever, so anything is possible.

On the locks I changed out the whole thing, and Taden got what came out of my truck... so luckily the locks operate in the right direction 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the rear should be 19 gallons.  Sorry, I missed that.  

But, glad you swapped out the locks.  And, glad you got Taden what was needed.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I added 5 gallons to the rear tank. Still reads 70 ohms, and no change to the gauge reading. Sending unit has to be bad... I was thinking I would put in the Bronco tank that I have, but as it sat it got condensation rust inside. Bummer. So it's either get a sending unit for this tank, or get a new sending unit and a bigger tank. I'm not looking forward to it either way...

Now on to the dash/HVAC work!

123456 ... 25