494 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834
Administrator
Today I began finding out just how different two BW1345 transfer cases could be! Besides the different input shaft stick out, I discovered that the mounting bolts are slightly larger diameter. I had started a couple after placing the case just to hold things, but went to tighten it down and they felt weird (doh!). Luckily I brought the original bolts from the junkyard but I hadn't used them because they are too long for the bottom two holes. There is a very limited amount of space between the transfer case flange and the transmission mount pedestal so I had to cut two of the bolts.

Then I noticed the 4x4 sending unit for the dash light was different. Luckily I kept my old one. Not really a transfer case difference but a related part difference that changed:

I go to sort out the shift linkage and find a problem. On my old transfer case the lever points down. On the new one it points up. There appears to be a set screw on the housing for the linkage shaft, but I removed the screw and the shaft would not come out (I was hoping I could just re clock it). The linkage arm was identical on the new case so I just hooked it up and it does work. The only problem is, I believe it places the shifter too far forward. It really cramps the boot in 2H.

Now here is how my shifter looks... starting at 2H, then 4H, N, 4Lo.

The other potential issue is that maybe I have the wrong boot? The original sat very flat to the floor, but was in poor condition. This boot was a junkyard find. It was from a bullnose but one with the later press on shift knobs, so many things are possible here. Luckily one thing that is possible is to drive and use the truck the way it is. If I want or need to change the way the shift lever sits in the cab I can address it later.

What was the whole point of this? Oh yeah, I was trying to get the speedometer to work... and it does. At least it moves now. I did a dry test in the driveway while both driveshafts were disconnected. It definitely read wrong since I wasn't moving, but I bet it will be more accurate now that I have the driveshafts bolted back in place.

Edit: my windshield glass appointment is at 10:30 Friday morning. I will report the manufacturer and part number of the glass that they ordered once I get my invoice.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
As always, your work and reporting are impressive, Jonathan!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Jonathan - Check Text Section 70.6 pages 3 and 6.  The E0TZ 7E440-A is a 4wd light switch, and -B is a lockout switch.

On the clocking, in my experience having it clocked backwards makes your shift pattern backwards.  And while that's on an NP208, it should be the same on a BW1345.  The arm certainly comes off on the 208 and can go on 180 degrees out.  Been there, done that.  

And you can make that linkage adjustable by cutting it, welding a nut on each end, and placing a bolt or piece of all-thread in there with another nut for a jam nut.  As shown below:

And I'm sure the speedo will be much more accurate with the driveshafts in.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
And once you drive it and get a baseline on the speed, it's easy to swap driven gears based on the % your speedo is off.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
So I see that I am not the first to encounter a flipped transfer case lever... and I did not think about the shift pattern reversal that would result if I turned the lever over 🙄. Looks like I will be modifying the linkage as soon as I get the chance. I'm just grateful that it works the way it is.

I will get a baseline on my speed and see how far I am off. What I expect is that it will read a tad slow with the 235/85R16 tires. Since I am already running a 16T driven gear, I won't be able to speed it up as that is the lowest tooth count you can get. If that is true I will need a ratio adapter to correct it. First things first, now that it's moving let's see how far off it is.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When does it get to go to work with you?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I was hoping for my Wednesday/Thursday scheduled days this week, but unfortunately the glass place couldn't get me in until Friday, and the rims look like they will be here Thursday. Technically I could have driven it in as I have the plates and insurance, but I didn't feel like getting pulled over for the broken windshield that also has paint exploded all over the inside. My next work days are Monday/Tuesday so I should have the glass and wheels/alignment done by then.

Gary, I'm on my phone and can't open the parts catalog. What exactly is the difference between the A and the B? I know B says it is a lockout but what exactly is that? Dennis Carpenter calls it: switch, transfer case lockout light. The one picture of the A version that I could find shows it is shorter and has a yellow top. When I pulled the transfer case from the donor, I traced the wire from this switch and it went through the firewall through its own rubber plug, had a metal spade that plugged into the back side of the fuse block, then had a wire running up to the 4x4 indicator lamp on the dash. I did not see any other function for it. 🤷‍♂️

And I thought NumberDummy said there were no part numbers on parts for our trucks?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, it apparently is a myth that there are no part numbers on our parts.  I can look that number up and it is the part number.

Second, beyond what the catalog calls something I can't tell what it really is.  I don't an EVTM for an '89 so can't see how they wired it.  But, from what you said about the wiring it looks as if it is wired much the same as ours - power to the light from the fuse block and the switch grounds it.  And, looking at the switch all it can do is to ground the output.  It takes two connections, minimum, for a switch, and the only way it can have two is to use the case ground.  And that's what ours does.  So, I don't understand the terminology difference.

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
What I remember hearing a LONG time ago - before ND Bill, before the Internet - is that there are "a few" cases where the part number is the same as the engineering ID number. This is the way I remember it from what some parts counterman at a local dealer was telling me (he was looking up a lot of D0ZZ Mustang parts for me).

So, I wouldn't be calling it a myth, only that this is an example of inconsistencies in how Ford does things.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Friday was glass day. It took two guys over an hour to do the job. Most of this was clean up of the window frame area on the cab. They explained that modern sealant is polyurethane. The old stuff was butyl, and polyurethane does not stick to butyl. To do it right the frame has to be thoroughly cleaned and primered or the polyurethane won't seal. They did a nice job. The glass that is clear all the way to the edges is Fuyao DW911.

I'm not thrilled with the fitment of the windshield trim, the bottom edge has quite a gap next to the glass. Then they took the old windshield out there was a lot of dirt and leaves under it. I may pull a junkyard one later on and see if it fits any better.

Bad news on the rims. The local shop cannot seem to get them. Twice they received the wrong item from their supplier, so the guy told me to move on and buy them elsewhere. This is very unfortunate considering shipping time and wanting to have it done for the trip.

I also discovered I need a new tie rod. I bought one earlier but it was non-greasable so I put the old one back in. When I did the joint tightened up, but after a bit of use it is sloppy again. There is definitely a loosey-goosey dead spot in the steering, and it's the joint. I have another tie rod on order, it should be in tomorrow.

I filled the fuel tank and it took about 12 gallons. It was reading about 1/8 tank before filling which is pretty low, but better that than an overly optimistic gauge! I have not measured the speedometer odometer yet, but I think it may be reading just a bit low. The needle isn't very steady, but it's more of a tremor than a jumping. The cable is new but aftermarket. I could try an OEM cable and a new driven gear to see if it helps.

I think I still need to do some tune up. The exhaust is pretty rich and stinky. New plugs and wires wouldn't hurt since I don't know the history on the ones that are in there, and hopefully I can lean the carb out some. I'm also hearing what I think is an exhaust leak that comes and goes. Maybe the sintered steel donut gasket was a mistake?

I drove it a total of about 40 miles. It ran well and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It is difficult for me to get used to the gearing. Most of the other trucks I've owned have had 4.10's and granny 4 speed (driven like a 3 speed). I keep putting it into the wrong gear for the speed since my auto pilot needs reprogrammed for this set up. But I do really like it. The close ratio gears are awesome for the straight six. No more revving it through the roof to get it to the next gear. I think I will need 4Lo on the transfer case to start out while towing the trailer, but that shouldn't be any rougher than shifting out of a non synchronized granny gear.

I didn't get anything done on it today, but hopefully tomorrow I will make some strides towards readiness.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad the glass worked out, and thanks for the brand and model number.  

Bummer on the wheels.  Hope you can get the others in time.

The tank is a 19 gallon - right?  So it had 7 gallons in it, but the gauge was showing 1/8 tank.  Yeah, that's a minor problem.  Big Blue has 140ish miles on this tank, 40 of which was pulling a trailer with Huck on it, and the gauge shows FULL.  I'll take your problem over mine.  

I know what you are saying re the gas T19's gearing - that 1st gear isn't very useful unless you are towing.  But, shifting the t-case while rolling - I've not done that.  It isn't too hard?

On the speedo cable, maybe you should lube it?  Can't hurt - unless you get too much lube.  And, reading slightly slow sounds like Big Blue - I have to remember that it is going about 5 MPH faster than it says.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary, shifting the transfer case on the fly isn't too bad. It's a slow shift, and a bit rough but not too different than shifting out of a straight cut 1st gear. We will see how it goes. I may hate it, and if I do I can always put the NP435 from the donor 4x4 in place of the T19. Not that I love to swap transmissions for fun but it's an option. I'm not getting rid of it just in case...

The new speedometer cable came with lube that I applied. Maybe I put too much. We will see what happens with more use. The odometer is reading pretty low, by around 20%. The speedometer may be off by more than I thought. It's too late to do anything about it now, but if I get a clue about a correction factor it is still better than nothing. I will be going very slow with the camper so I definitely won't be worried about speeding! My guess is that I will want overdrive (GVOD or DNE2) and I will address the drive gear then.

I ordered the wheels through Summit. I hope they ship promptly. The most pressing reason I have for wanting them before the trip is tire strength. The 31X10.5's are a very disappointing load range C. The ones I want to run are load range E (10 ply rating). The Mohave desert is pretty much made of sharp rocks, and heavier tires are a huge benefit in the back country. If at all possible I want to avoid going there on 6 ply tires.

Edit: the one decision I am regretting is not upgrading to a larger fuel tank. Given the change of plans to tow the camper, the one 19 gallon tank is just not a great situation. Even if I carry spare fuel containers I am going to have to be very mindful of my route and gas availability. The last time we went we encountered fuel prices near $6 per gallon. The price difference would almost pay for the 38 gallon spectra in one refill 😳

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hope you get your wheels in time.  And understand the concern about tires.  Fortunately Vernon did his research and Big Blue is wearing Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tires in LT285/75R16.  They are Load Range E and have a 3,750 # rating, with 7 plies in the tread and 3 in the sidewall.  

As for the tranny, there's always the ZF5, which has the low 1st and nice OD.  I loved it in Dad's truck, but never towed with it, so we will see what I think about it when in Big Blue as he tows often.

Anyway, at least you can get things rolling in 4lo on this trip and change later if needed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Big Blue's tires are just like what I want to run but a bit wider. I thought that the 31x10.5's would be a load range D, but they are not. They are C's.

The ZF-5 does indeed offer a low first and overdrive in one gearbox. But the granny transmissions leave you without a decent start out gear if your axle ratio is tall. 2nd gear starts with 3.00 axles and 32"-ish tires wont be great. I'd pretty much have to granny start every time. The diesel ratios are great while unloaded.

I placed my order for the wheels yesterday afternoon. Less than 12 hours later I got an email confirmation that they were received at the Arlington FedEx station and had tracking numbers. Per the FedEx site they are due for delivery by the end of the day on Wednesday 😳 And that was with the free ground service. One customer who bought these wheels for his Bronco posted this picture of it sitting on 235/85R16's:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your truck doesn't weigh nearly as much as Big Blue, so won't need the same tires.  And they are 32.9" tall, so bring the overall gearing up 4% over stock tires.  But, the 460 doesn't mind, so 2nd gear starts are easy when unloaded.  But the T19 is effectively a 3-speed tranny when starting in 2nd, so it leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, glad the wheels are almost there.  Looks like you'll have them for the trip after all.  And, they look good - as does the Bronco.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
One rim arrived yesterday and the other four showed up today. Unfortunately I was not able to juggle the wheels around and get the tires mounted on, but hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

I downloaded several speedometer apps on my phone so that I can accurately assess the amount that my speedometer and odometer are off. The apps won't do me much good on the trip since there isn't a lot of cell signal to be had, but once I have a correction factor I should be just fine.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - The app I have, Speed, uses satellite signals for determining speed, and doesn't need a cell signal.  I just lay it on the dash, under the windshield and it works.  Used it on Lake Powell w/o cell service and it worked fine.

Hope you get the tires mounted today.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you have a GPS it will do the same thing.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The new wheels are on, and I am very much happier with this arrangement. Load range E tires all around and they don't stick out past the body sheet metal like the old tires did.

I checked the speedometer ~before the bigger wheels and I was only 2-3 mph slow, and 1 mile on the odometer was 1.1 actual miles. This will obviously be worse with the bigger wheels, but still useable for the time being.

After having driven it more, I do find the 1st gear to be a little weak for starting out on hills, even unloaded. This will also get slightly worse with the upsize in tires. For trailer towing I will have to use 4Lo starts to get it rolling. Shifting it on the fly does work just fine, but I need to work on my technique. The gears bark as it goes into 2Hi. Maybe double clutching will eliminate this. In the long run? We will see... maybe a ZF, or maybe once the diesel is finished it will be fine as-is for the lighter duty jobs.

The engine does have a bit of lifter tick at times. I changed the oil and it actually got worse. My oil pressure is about 45psi at hot idle, 50-55 while driving so I'm not super worried about it. I filled it with 10-30 Quaker State. The truck as been sitting quite a lot, so I'll see what it does once I run it a bit more.

The truck still runs rich and stinky. I have not filled the tank yet, but it's looking like my mpg may be really terrible. I'm actually thinking of stealing the carburetor off of the 1968 to see if it changes. I tried leaning out the carb that is on it and it didn't like that very much.

I ran the heater the other night and I have a problem. I thought I cleaned out the HVAC box really well when I did the blend door, but the smell of mouse is overpowering. There must still be some nest material in there somewhere or there is enough residue on the heater core fins to stink up the cab. Looks like I still have a bit of work to do before I can go play 😔

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Running a quart of transmission fluid mixed with your oil will clean the lifters. I woulds drive it about 50 miles, then drain.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

1 ... 45678910 ... 25