classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
59 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Realistic" towing ratings

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Got the hitch the other day... and finally completed the install tonight (wiring still a work in progress, still haven't gotten a controller yet ).

Specs:

I had to wing it on the mounting... Reese doesn't even recognize the part number due to being long discontinued. Thankfully, since it came off a bullnose, I had all the shim plates and the like I needed. Shim plates go on the rear four locations, no shims on the front pair. One side's connections:

I replaced all the bolts with 1/2 x 2" grade 8 cairrage bolts. All of the round washers, lock washers, and nuts were replaced with grade 8 serrated flange nuts. For the rear pair, I drilled/chiseled out the rear crossmemeber's hot rivets and drilled them out to 1/2". The other four I drilled once I had the former two anchored down.

Since I had to loosen the side bolts as well (to get the plates to line up with the frame bottom on both sides), I replaced the nuts/washers there with serrated flange nuts as well:

The hot rivets were a pain in the rear as always... just as much fun doing them on my 1995 ranger (transmission crossmember upgrade and radius arm brackets ).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Jstas
I don't plan to routinely tow, let alone routinely tow "heavy" loads... I'd want a beefier truck for that.

Noted for the next time I need tires...
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Nice job!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That should work very nicely.  Well done!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jstas
I actually had a car that I ran LT tires on as it took 235/75R15 tires and I had a healthy class III receiver hitch on it. Darth has LT 215/85R16 LR E tires as that is what the school busses here use and as a result they are readily available and not too horrible on cost. My tires will actually handle more than the 7400 lb rear axle capacity.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Quick update (pics will come tomorrow???)... Scored a barely used Primus IQ proportional controller for $35 and a 3 hr round trip to Cincinnati. Completed the 7 blade wiring too (minus tying up some loose wiring under the hood, which I'll nab tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds good.  I'm sure it'll look good, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the pics.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Long day at work... but I do have a few pics and more info from last night:

Yes, it's by the radio, but from what I read, since I'm 4W or under with a properly grounded (and in-tune) antenna, the only thing I have to worry about is the brake controller feeding noise back into the CB. Surely it can't be as bad as the chinatrash HID ballasts on my Ranger (they puke noise out like no tomorrow!)

Brake pedal tapping: I got creative as the brake pedal wiring is a pain to access in the dash. I soldered a tap wire to the switched terminal:

That wire is run through the wire guide used to keep the wiring out of the pedal mechanisms. To add some vibration resistance, I put some liquid tape on the back of the connector:

For the wiring: I used a hopkins 4 pin to 7 pin adapter kit with the 4 pin plug cut off and spliced into my existing spliced 4 pin wiring:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/automotive/towing-cargo-management/trailer-lighting-wiring/hopkins-towing-solutions-reg-multi-tow-reg-4-flat-to-7-blade-and-4-flat-connector-kit/47185/p-7919224477045872-c-1527167451363.htm?tid=-8104667245428759666&ipos=27

I originally ran the ground to one of the front spare tire crossmember bolts, but I had second thoughts about the ground being adequate, so I ran it as one of the three connections up front. For such (Trailer Ground, Trailer power, and brakes), I used a 25' 12 gauge extension cord routed along the passenger frame rail like I did with the CB antenna wiring in another thread. Yeah, it was $30 for said cable1, but for the amount of super flexible copper in a rugged jacket, I figured it was worth it. The brake controller power and ground are also 12 gauge. The brake controller is powered from a 40A auto-reset breaker mounted by the starter solenoid (per the suggested wiring guide I found); the trailer power is on an inline 20A fuse. I don't' think the trailer I'm getting currently needs power, but I don't like incomplete wiring and like to be future proofed.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
I wouldn't tow more than 2000 lbs with a half-ton pickup. Preferably only a light dirt bike trailer etc.

That's just me. I see a lot of half-ton pickups towing heavy trailers passing me out on the highway as I tow 21k with my F550 at 55-60mph.  I suppose it's legal but I won't do it. We don't even own a 150 except for one we're building up for my teen daughter to drive. All our other pickups are 250/350.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
More pics I took tonight:

Final hitch and trailer connector:

Wiring under the bed:

(That extra wire is the old crossmember ground... I was too lazy to remove it; out of sight, out of mind?)

Another shot of the installed controller:

Under the hood:

Not 100% tied up. Not happy with the extra battery grounds either... but the aux splice was already full (Head unit and CB grounds). And the brake controller ground somehow got extra tugging when setting cable lenghts, and is honestly too short:

Eventually I'll want to find a way to condense all the battery grounds back to 1 connector. But this will do for now at least?
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looking good!

I was born and raised in Kokomo Indiana.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I live in Madison, IN, but have lived all around the state.  Ft. Wayne (Born there, 1992-1998), West Lafayette (inlaws and best friend still live near there, 1998-2010), and New Albany (2010-2016).

I have several friends/acquaintances in Kokomo, mainly through my volunteer work (and High School student participation) in FIRST robotics. Used to drive though the area a lot, in particular as a kid during the Ft. Wayne to Lafayette move (US 24 was closed due to being rebuilt to it's current 4-lane standard, so we'd have to take SR 26 and I-69 as a bypass). Lots of trips in my parents' 1988 GMC safari and 1987 C-10 (they were bowtie fans, both vehicles ran well all the way to the grave).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
RenoHuskerDu wrote
I wouldn't tow more than 2000 lbs with a half-ton pickup. Preferably only a light dirt bike trailer etc.

That's just me. I see a lot of half-ton pickups towing heavy trailers passing me out on the highway as I tow 21k with my F550 at 55-60mph.  I suppose it's legal but I won't do it. We don't even own a 150 except for one we're building up for my teen daughter to drive. All our other pickups are 250/350.

Snuck in on me...

Not planning on towing anything heavier than a midsize truck/SUV, and only sparingly (project vehicle purchases, etc.). The trailer is grossly overkill for the truck... as is the hitch. But I'll take overkill; as long as I respect the F150's limits, it's all good.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
ratdude747 wrote
I live in Madison, IN, but have lived all around the state.  Ft. Wayne (Born there, 1992-1998), West Lafayette (inlaws and best friend still live near there, 1998-2010), and New Albany (2010-2016).

I have several friends/acquaintances in Kokomo, mainly through my volunteer work (and High School student participation) in FIRST robotics. Used to drive though the area a lot, in particular as a kid during the Ft. Wayne to Lafayette move (US 24 was closed due to being rebuilt to it's current 4-lane standard, so we'd have to take SR 26 and I-69 as a bypass). Lots of trips in my parents' 1988 GMC safari and 1987 C-10 (they were bowtie fans, both vehicles ran well all the way to the grave).
Oh, cool! Near Louisville and Cincinnati. I was a Reds fan as a kid, the Big Red Machine. Bench, Rose, Concepcion, Morgan and all.

Haven’t been in Kokomo for 40 years or so. Wouldn’t mind seeing it again.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yep. Ironically, I bought the hitch from a guy in SW Louisville (Valley Station), and the controller from a couple in NW Cincinatti (Colerain). Indy isn't far either... we're an hour from Louisville, an hour 15 from Cinicinatti, and an hour 30 from Indy. Gives a lot of options for scoring stuff...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you say that trailer has a GVWR of 7000 #'s?  If so, it isn't overkill.  In fact, if you aren't careful you'll overload it.

When I was shopping for trailers I found that most of the trailers were sitting on 3500 # axles giving the trailer the 7000 # GVWR.  But then I realized that the trailer itself weighs north of 2000 #, so you are left with less than 5000 # for the vehicle.  And lots of vehicles weigh more than that.

And then comes the loading.  Remember that the axle, and usually the tires, is rated for 3500 #'s.  So if you put a 5000 # vehicle on the trailer you'll be at the limit if the weight is evenly distributed.  But you do NOT want the weight evenly distributed as you need ~10% of the weight on the tongue to prevent sway.  So you'll need to have the vehicle forward on the trailer and it will be easy to overload the front axle if you aren't careful.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The truck's only good for 9000GVWR... but I didn't think the trailer cared about the truck's weight, while the truck does. Hence the "5200lbs" number I came up with at the start of the thread.

Thus, the trailer is overkill relative to my truck's capacity. I'll overload the truck before I overload the trailer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The trailer only cares about the weight of the vehicle on it and the weight of the trailer itself.

Or, to put it another way, it is the axles and tires that are limited to 7000 lbs.  And since they are carrying both the trailer and the cargo you have to add the two together.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And yes, you'll exceed the truck's GVWR before you exceed the trailer's GVWR.  So I see what you are saying about the trailer being "overkill".