489 messages Options
1 ... 202122232425
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Website & Forum Suggestion Box

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I got all of the 13 threads in the right folder, so we are good there.  So now I need to start looking at the other pinned items...  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary!
Question:  What is this "New Home Page" menu?
Using my iPhone or my desktop Mac gives the same, it appears as a blank page when trying to open it.
Thanks!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good question!  I don't remember what the plan was when I created that page, but there was nothing on it so I deleted it.  Thanks!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Hopefully this is the right topic to post this to. Is there a function I haven't seen that's similar to New Posts on other forums? So far I've been using the Topic View and just scanning the Last Post column but I'm finding I'm missing stuff. If not - could there be? :D
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorta.  You can subscribe to any level you want.  But to make sure you get them all you'd have to subscribe to the top level - like I've done.  Otherwise someone will post in a folder you aren't subscribed to and you'll miss it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I did not think this fit out on the main page and thought it fit best here.

What went wrong?

In documentation if you click on Electrical> Ammeter> (left side menu) EVTM it sends you to the forum.

Same if you do Electrical> Electricity 099> (left side menu) EVTM

It works if you go Electrical> EVTM> drop down for the different years.

If that's the only link that points to the wrong place I would say Gary is doing a bang up job
Thanks for all the work you and others do on here
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dave.  But I'm not sure I understand.  You said "In documentation if you click on Electrical> Ammeter> (left side menu) EVTM it sends you to the forum."  But I don't have a left-side menu when I click on Electrical.  Just the right-side menu shown below.  And if I click on Ammeter it takes me to a page on them.

So, help me understand what you mean?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I dont know how you get the menus to pop up to the right?

In that screen shot you have the menu to the left

Ammeter

Electricity 099

EVTM

ETC.....

If you click on the "EVTM" it would send me back to the main forum page.

I would get to it by clicking on the 3 lines top left corner> Documentation> Electrical> Ammeter
and get that menu on the left. Click EVTM and get to main forum page.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh!  I see what you are saying.  The menu you are seeing is on the Ammeter page, and is out of date.  Badly out of date.  Back when I created it we only have one EVTM so I was able to create a link to it.  But now we have several so there's no "EVTM" page.  I deleted it.

But I really need to spend some time and take those old menus off the pages they are on.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
That link could not be pointed to the page with the different year EVTM on them like if you went right to the EVTM page from think electrical?
What ever is easy for you just thought it was nice you could get to it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The menus at the top of the page were an early attempt at making things easy for the user.  But that was when the website had 50 pages.  It now has over 550 pages and many, if not most, of those menus are way out of date.

I abandoned that approach when I realized that I'd have to edit everyone of those menus each time I added a page.  So now I'm deleting them when I edit that page.

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Would you consider a Wiki instead of a hand-maintained menu system? You'd still have the ability to moderate posts but I think it would take some burden off you personally if you could just oversee things, instead of having to hand-create those pages and keep them up to date...
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me explain what we have and then maybe you can explain what you have in mind with a wiki.

Originally: On each page of a section, like Electrical or Underhood, I manually created a menu at the top which showed all of the other pages in the section.  That was because on many of the pages it was likely you'd want to go to another one of those pages.

Better Tools: As the host, Weebly, evolved they brought in new tools, one of which was tabs.  That allowed me to consolidate several pages in a section to one page and the tabs allow the user to go from, say, Illustrations to Part Numbers.  So the need for the manually-generated menu waned, but I didn't remove it wholesale so it became out of date as I added new pages or consolidated one page into another.

So I now do not see the need for the manually-generated menu and should spend some time to remove them.  However, I'm interested in what you are thinking about a wiki.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Another from the PITA

The last few days I have seen where you check a post out be it "new members' or projects" or what ever when you move to a different post either with in that area or different area it dose not mark it as read.

Let's say Friday I read all the new postings so they should have changed from (in my case) blue to maroon so I know I have looked it over.
Then when I come back like today (Sunday) I know where I left off as I can see the maroon old posts I have read and the blue new posts that came in after the last time.
I have logged off and back on a few times and even not had the site loaded for a day or 2 and the same thing.

It just makes it hard to figure where I left off with in a post to catch up.
Now typing this I just thought I have not checked if this happens with my phone, On my PC old windows and chrome, and will give it a try to see but it is hard to follow this site on my phone and why I have not checked yet.

I just did not know if something was "upgraded" and why this now happens or if on my end with this old laptop.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As far as I know, Dave, nothing was upgraded.  And I've not moved anything in the last two weeks.  So I'm curious to see what you find.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
My phone looks to be doing the same thing
Maybe its time for a router dump / reboot?
I did not try the phone when not on WiFi will try it when I think of it.

Thanks Gary for letting me know
Dave Grant
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,

Not sure if this is normal or not so I thought I would ask:

When reading posts, as I stroll down, the "HEADER" comes down and covers the previous posts up and you can not read the previous post.  Is this normal?
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is normal, although not a feature I like - assuming it goes away if you scroll back up a couple of clicks.  Right?

Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
I have to go back to the top.
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just wait until you try to edit a post.  
There's nothing between the keyboard and dropdown banner.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
1 ... 202122232425