489 messages Options
1 ... 19202122232425
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Buildsheet Example not showing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It would have been an '81 build sheet, but it is in a whole bunch of strips.  It was put between the seat's springs and the foam and the springs rusted and cut through the paper.  It is really just a bunch of pieces with info missing between the pieces.  Sorry.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Website & Forum Suggestion Box

Nemesis F150
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Suggestion: it would be nice to be able to add on to a thread without having to reply to a previous post. Case in point, suppose the original poster wanted to make a comment without tagging on to a previous post, how does one do it? The drop-down apparently doesn't give an option and I haven't figured out a way to do it. Just a thought.
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but let me explain what options we have:

Reply To Last Post w/o Quote: Just hit Reply on the very last post, but not the Reply in the More dropdown that you show.  Instead you want Reply that is two notches left of More.  Doing that means you are just replying to the thread and not necessarily to the last post.

Reply To Last Post with Quote: Hit Reply on the very last post, but to ensure the reader understands that you are replying specifically to his/her post hit Quote, which will copy in the last post.

Reply To A Previous Post: If you are responding to a previous post, meaning not the last one, then click Reply on that post.  When someone views your post they'll see a "Replying to" note with a link, and if they click that link they are shown the post to which you are replying.  You could hit Quote to copy in their text to make sure people know that you are responding to that post, but it probably isn't necessary.

As for the Reply shown below, which is from the More dropdown, that emails to the person that made the post.  That's not something that shows up in the thread.  Perhaps we should change the terminology to "Email to author", but I don't want to undertake those kinds of tweaks right now as they might get lost as we move to a different version of Nabble - hopefully next month.

Does that help?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but let me explain what options we have:

Reply To Last Post w/o Quote: Just hit Reply on the very last post, but not the Reply in the More dropdown that you show.  Instead you want Reply that is two notches left of More.  Doing that means you are just replying to the thread and not necessarily to the last post.
Okay, this one works .... It just wasn't readily apparent and it takes some time to learn the system.

On this web site (annotated screen shot below) the "reply to the thread, not necessarily the last post" is under the last post (at the left side), which makes some sense because it is outside the last post. To reply to a particular post, there is a reply button inside that particular post and when doing that, one gets a copy of that post and can deselect part of the post that isn't needed, same as on the Bullnose site, when editing a post.

One other thing I like (on a roll here) is the post number. As a thread runs for several pages, 2, 3, 4, etc. the post numbers continue, I believe typically about 10 posts per page. For a really long thread with a lot of pages, it makes it somewhat easy to find a post. Actually, it would be even easier if the page number was included with the post number, but the post number can be handy for most threads with not many pages.

Sample page about what I mentioned above:

[Edit: Almost forgot, the place where I had some difficulty was on "Fuel Line Fitting: Hairpin or Duck Bill Clip? (’85 F-150 EFI 5l dual tanks)", post dated August 24, edit #2 on August 27. Wound up just editing the old post on the 24th.]

Every web site is different and it just takes time to learn the system.
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, the software that runs FTE, and many other forums, does have the post # on it.  Several of us on here spent a lot of time using that software and wish we had the post #.  We don't, but we do have the time and date of the post, so that will let you find the post.

Anyway, yes it takes time to learn a new system.  This one certainly isn't perfect, but it does work pretty well once you get used to it.

But I beg to differ - a thread doesn't "run for several pages".  In my case they "run for hundreds of pages".    (Big Blue's Transformation is currently at 285 pages and still going.)

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I have zero clue on how to report posts here, but user "dase32" made a post in the Free/For Sale section under a thread regarding a 1984 blue seat. The post contains a bad spam hyperlink that may contain viruses. I see them all the time on my Ranger forum and have to ban every single user that makes the same style of post. Can you take a look at the post Gary?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You did well, Shaun.  Thanks.

I've banned him and removed his post.  Plus I sent him an email explaining that he has been banned and if he thinks that is unfair he can email me with why he should be allowed to remain.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In my experience, they are usually bots, and the IP addresses almost always come back from the middle east. So your email will probably fall on electronic ears.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I assumed so, but feel like people should be given a chance.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Another one. Two meaningless posts with a spam link in his signature:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Vacuum-line-fun-tp5144p106739.html

Spambots stink... used to be a real problem on another of my forums where I used to be a Mod. Between spambots and bugmenot accounts, I got to play a lot of banhammer baseball!

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Larry.  

As Gary usually does, I've suspended the account and notified the other admins.
I'm going to leave it to Gary to delete those two posts.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, thanks Larry, and thanks Jim.

I'll delete the posts on Sunday as he's been given 48 hours to apologize.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Back when I was a Mod on the other forum I'd be spammer banning daily at times... one time one of them got off 20 posts before we caught it. Thankfully the forum's mod crew is worldwide so even at odd hours one of mods in Europe/Asia would usually be around to nail them.

Side story: Funny enough the reason I was made a Mod was to clean out the forum's FAQ section which had 10 years of non-FAQ posts shoved in it (before there was a good way for vBulletin to police such junk). Once it was complete I stayed on as a super-mod... until young(er) and wild(er) ratdude's ways put him in a place where he had to step down to keep the admin's credibility intact (my move, not his)... Things had gotten pretty bad and I was a young cocky (insert favorite word here) which made things bad. Not proud of that .
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We've only recently been plagued with spammers.  Not sure why, although we did recently change our joining process.  But to this point, meaning on this "production" forum, the change was only to the text and not the process itself so shouldn't have made any difference.

Someone suggested it was due to us becoming larger, more visible.  However, we've not grown that dramatically of late, so I don't have a clue why.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
We were "found" by the web crawlers. Once you've been "found", they all know where to go. Security through obscurity isn't.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Have you thought of pinning WHYDTYTT? Make it easier to find for us lazy folks!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm loathe to pin yet another thing.  But I like the idea of having WHYDTYTT up top.  So let me do some work to try to clean things up a bit, like move the 2021 truck show folder into Events/Truck Shows.  And maybe some other things.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to clean things up, please let me know.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
No problem as it is. Don’t mean to cause more work. I understand not wanting to pin more things.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually, your suggestion was the impetus I needed to think about cleaning things up.  But the first crack out of the box wasn't good, so now I have more cleanup to do.

What happened is that I decided I'd move the folder "2021 Truck Show - Sept 4th" into the Events/Garagemahal Ford Truck Shows folder.  But the system wouldn't do it since we have the "s" in https now and it didn't recognize that as a valid permalink.  So in the battle I wound up accidentally deleting the 2021 Truck Show - Sept 4th folder itself and dispersing all of the threads in the main section.

Now I have to go find those threads and put them into a folder I created called, oddly enough, 2021 Truck Show - Sept 4th.  Not a big deal but it caused me a lot of angst last night.  Fortunately my mentor in things Nabble, Greg, told me what the problem was and I can do it.

But then I need to think through what to do with other things that are pinned.  So I'm thinking I'll start a thread about organizing them and see what others think.  Yes?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Sure! If I was doing what you do, well I wouldn’t, but if I did I would have shot my computer last night!

Dane
Arizona
1 ... 19202122232425