489 messages Options
1 ... 1819202122232425
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Website & Forum Suggestion Box

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think he's looking for a way to save a topic to review later, without the distraction of constant notifications.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Then I think he wants the permalink.

Here's a test:

This link is via using the Permalink button at the top of the very first page of this thread/topic

This link is to the very first post in the thread/topic

This link is for the top of the page that your post is on

This link is to your last post

Let's see how they work.....
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The answer is that the first two get you to the same spot, but the URL's are different.  Ditto the last two.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right.
But there is no notepad here in ones profile to store these bookmarks.

I do believe the hope was a way to easily bookmark a thread, or set a reminder for later. (within the forum)

You could always bookmark the thread page in your browser, without subscribing.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Your combined responses got me my answer.  
I was hoping the forum host offered something simple like what FTE had where they gave you a choice to subscribe to a thread without email notifications.  Under the user profile, I could find all threads I’ve subscribed to (with or without email notifications) for quick reference.  I had that pretty clean and only included threads with pertinent info I’d like to fall back on in the future, not every thread I ever responded to.  

I can use the permalink address saved to a notepad or Word doc to bring me to a response within a thread of interest though, no worries!
Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, Bryan, looks like you are ok with the solution.  Great!

Jim - I've not tried bookmarking a page via the browser.  Think I'll play with that.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Jim - I've not tried bookmarking a page via the browser.  Think I'll play with that.
Since nabble does some interesting url handling, this is the what I've had to do also for "future reference" links.
Note that in Chrome at least you can click on the More... button when adding a bookmark via the Star icon and paste in the permalink:

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I did NOT know that.  Cool!  Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I knew I could do that, but I didn't know that nabble uses dynamic url's
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Hey Gary - admittedly I haven't read through this whole thread
I may be the exception to the rule but I don't ever use the freefind search box in the top left. Not sure if there is a way to tell but if it doesn't get used much, can we remove it and the large grey "banner" beneath it?

I don't search the doc much (the menu is intuitive enough) but I like the initial UI of the magnifying glass better than the freefind one. It fits into the site better to me. The search results though are ok. A little minimalistic after being trained by google but they work.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I don't use the Freefind search either.  But before we remove it let me ask the question "in the open".

But which "magnifying glass" are you talking about?  There's one at the very top right, and there's the one below the words "Search Forum".  I use the latter frequently and it works well.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Good plan.

Yes, the one for the forum I use a lot also.

I  am referring to the one at the top right. I don't know that I've really used it much beyond playing around today but between it and freefind, I'd vote for it (top right). There needs to be some doc search and that one fits better with the clean integration into the dropdown menu area.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I created the new thread inc a poll: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Search-Tools-td79389.html

But the magnifying glass in the upper right searches the website, and not the forum.  I know that's confusing, but the forum is on Nabble and that one doesn't search it.  Only the website.

And the Nabble search function only searches the forum, and not the website.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I gotcha. We're on the same page - the forum is embedded withing the main site. I think having the two searches, each dedicated to their own portion of the overall site is pretty clear - at least after a couple searches 🤪. Thinking about it as I type, I guess having the 'search tip' that shows up with the search box contain the word 'documentation' wouldn't be a bad thing.

So where it now says:

Search by typing & pressing enter

Have it say something akin to:

Perform a documentation search by typing and pressing enter

🤔

Oh, and thanks for the poll thread!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, but....

If you look at the first layer of the menu there are two categories: Bullnose Forum is on Nabble, and all else is on the Weebly website.  For instance, when I searched for Dad's Truck using the upper right search function it found pages in Documentation, Truck Shows, About, etc.  Just not the thousands of times those words are used in the forum.

So the search tips need to explain that.  Right?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Hmm good point. What about something like:

Use this search for all areas except the forum
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good idea.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Buildsheet Example not showing

BillyRay59
Hi Gary, under Specifications, the buidsheet examples are not showing. I found a partial buildsheet today and would like to see a good example to see if I can fill in the blanks.  

1981 F100 300/3-on-tree
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Buildsheet Example not showing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry.  Check it out now.  At least I think that's what is supposed to be there.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Buildsheet Example not showing

BillyRay59
Thanks!  Working now.  Can you post a pic of your 1980 buildsheet? I would like to use it to complete my partial build sheet.
1981 F100 300/3-on-tree
1 ... 1819202122232425