classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
58 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weatherproof Connectors

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Thanks.  The crimper does a great job of crimping both the wire as well as the insulation ears.  I highly recommend it if you are going to use these connectors.

Pete - I don't know that I did machine language coding on an 11, but I sure did on many 8's.  In fact, I remember what a 7402 is.  

Rusty - I see.  I love my Weller soldering station.  It is so much better to use than my Weller or Craftsman guns.  Just turn it on and w/in a couple of minutes it is hot and ready to go.

And now an end-of-day report on the connectors.  I do like them, but I did have a self-inflicted problem today.  I apparently put one terminal in upside down, which seems to have tweaked the retainer pin.  That meant I couldn't get the pin to latch, so in the end I broke the red safety plate out to allow me to remove the pins.  Then I put them in another shell and was good to go.

But I'd really like to figure out how to properly remove the red safety plate on the male shell.  I can do so on the female shell, but not the male shell, so I can't easily get the pins out of the male shells.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
From what I've read and seen on YouTube, those Deutsch connectors go together and come apart with ease. Moreover, the consensus is that they are the best.  I guess the question is, do they warrant the expense? Seems the patent is out on them and others are reproducing them though. I've not had a chance to look into that yet. If you're going to wire Dad's Truck though, this might be an area you should look into.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do those connectors require a specialty crimper?  Some of the kits I see come with a crimper.

And the kits are fairly expensive!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
I have a "fake" Deutsch kit, it looks just like them but was 1/10th the price. I can't really speak for the quality, I've only made one connection up with them. I personally didn't care for them but not because they're bad. It was just extra work dealing with the little red plastic bits and all.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here far-sighted. With a Weather-pack I can just about see everything well enough to make up a connection without my "cheaters". I'm perpetually losing them, so it's an advantage for me if I don't always need them. Those Deutsch pins are just small enough I can't sort it all out without my glasses. That might not be the best selection criteria but it's the one I've got.

One pro I'll mention, that red plastic spacer thingy does really help with pin alignment. If you've ever been frustrated having to wiggle a different style connector a bit to get the pins to line up, these are the cat's pajamas.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chad - Which kit did you get?  Do you have a link?

And do you have to use a different crimper?  What's the current rating for the pins?

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, you can glean a lot of information in the following links:

I had questions about the connectors in the American Autowire wiring harness kit I purchased for my 69 Mustang along with the high dollar proprietary tools. A poster by the name of tp_smith in the following thread is very knowledgeable and based off his comments there, I will definitely be going with different connectors. He makes no mention of the Deutsch connectors, but I have to believe he is quite pleased with what he is using.  

https://www.camaros.net/threads/aaw-crimper-alternative.479387/page-2

Lots of good information from poster desertspeed33 in this thread along with content on other related things. Post is a bit old though:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/amphenol-deutsch-vs-weatherpack-plugs-when-wiring-up-a-truck.1717850/

The YouTube video below is from a guy I have long been subscribed to. I love his execution of work and his videos are great. He's very informative and I'd sweep the floor in his shop to learn from him. I've actually spent a lot of time looking at his electrical series, as I am weak there. He speaks about the Deutsch connectors.

As I've said before, I don't have to have the best of anything, just looking for the best value for my money. With my need for wiring the Mustang, I'd like to stay with a single system for both the truck and the car and perhaps any other future needs.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Another video on the Deutsch connectors. Note that there are two different types of pins in the Deutsch system which requires different tools. The more expensive pins require multiple tools due to the different size pins.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
John - The thread in the first link didn't do much for me, but this post by desertspeed33 in the second thread is gold!

One of the issues I've had is that there are soooooo many options.  But that post cuts through things and helps me understand which brand and model to use for what.

Having said that, with the ability to run the circuit through two pins to get to 24 amps on these Chinese connectors, I think I can get most things done with them.  And I have the right crimper.

But the Delphi Metripack 150 Series that goes to 30 amps sounds good.  And my crimper should work on them.

On the other hand, I'm confused about the Deutch connectors.  That post doesn't get into the types of pins.  But that video does, and the open-barrel pins look like they'd be fine in my crimper.  But the closed-barrel pins take the mega-dollar crimper.  So which terminals do you need?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Ok, this guy explains a bit more, but...

He highly recommends the closed-barrel pins.  And he says that IWISS 14-18 crimper is all he every uses.  BUT, it only does 14 - 18 gauge, or maybe to 20 gauge if you really use 20 gauge.  However, it doesn't do 12 gauge, which takes a different crimper.  Nor does it do 10 gauge, which takes a different crimper.  And now you are into more like $100.  And those are very special crimpers.  They don't work for other types of terminals.

So, why doesn't he recommend the open-barrel pins?  If you went with them you could use a standard crimper.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Since the Metri-pack line came up, I'll chime in with what I did on the 86. Just my 2 cents. Gary and I talked about this offline a couple weeks ago when he was looking at kits to go with and I've enjoyed reading everyone's experience in this thread.

To me the Deutsch line is the top. That is only based on what I've seen/read online as I just couldn't justify the cost to get into it. If used often enough and for long enough, it would probably be a good investment.

I settled on the Metri-pack 280 series and have been really happy with them. Used them a lot on any non-factory wiring on the 86 as well as the 80 and rewiring my equipment hauler. Small gauge, interior wiring I used molex connectors but that's not weatherproof so won't go into those

The guy on Pirate 4x4 hits the nail on the head when he says (about the MP280 series): Cons- 3 or 5 pin connectors are bulky
They are. I don't find the 3 terrible but above that it's ridiculous. That's why when I needed an 8 pin connector, I designed an over/under style and printed it on my 3d printer.

I have the IWS-30J kit and really like the crimper. One of my kids got ahold of the stripper and used it on everything they could find except wire so it got tossed and I can't comment on it when used "correctly"  . It's a simple thing but I use the screwdriver it came with almost daily.

For doing the MP280's though I bought the IWS-1424B dedicated weatherpack crimper for 24-14awg with the seal crimper built-in. This has worked flawlessly and despite not being ratcheting I would buy it again and again.

I tried it a couple times on 12awg and while it did work, you can tell it's not a clean fit.
That's where the Sargent 3302 WPCT comes in. I use a lot of 12awg so this has seen a lot of use and like the IWS-1424B it's great. The way the rubber on the handles are made you feel like you are bending the tool which scared me the first couple times but that's only because the rubber has gaps in it. The only very minor complaint is that the finish doesn't fight off surface rust well.

Bought all my stuff in bulk off waytek wire. Good prices though shipping is a bit rough.

Another neat thing about the MP280's beside inline connections is that they can be used as fuse and relay holders.
Here are a couple examples. I've used both of these and they've worked really well.
>
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Scott.  With the 30A rating that I see on the Metri-pack 280's I think I could be happy with them.

But is it easy to pull the pins?  So far I've not figured out how to correctly pull the pins on the Chinese set I bought, and that bugs me.  Plus, the 12A current rating isn't quite enough for some of the things we do.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yes, the 30A rating is a big selling point.

For removal I took one of those flat precision screwdrivers (the metal type with the spinner head) and ground it down so that more length was almost as thin as it already was at the tip.
Upon removal you'll almost always bend the retaining tab in a bit but can just push it out through the backside before reinserting.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Thanks, Scott.  With the 30A rating that I see on the Metri-pack 280's I think I could be happy with them.

But is it easy to pull the pins?  So far I've not figured out how to correctly pull the pins on the Chinese set I bought, and that bugs me.  Plus, the 12A current rating isn't quite enough for some of the things we do.
For the Metri-Pack connectors you depin the connector by using the small square window on the terminal side.  You can take a paperclip and smash it flat with a hammer some and then file the sides down to make your own or you can purchase the tool to remove it.  Sadly my two Matco terminal rings I have to depin terminals do not have the metri-pack tool so I have to purchase one for myself but I did use a flattened paperclip to disassemble the Sniper Metri-pack I have.

The amperage is a big reason why I am going with the Metri-packs cause they can handle the amperage and if you look at other connectors you cant find a connector with a large number of pins like the 15-pin connector I found in the Metri-pack 280 series.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks for your responses here, gentlemen.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As I said in Big Blue's Transformation thread, I just ordered some wire from Wiring Depot.  And while I was poking around their site I found a page on WEATHER PACK TERMINAL FAQS.  Since it has some really good info in it I thought I'd copy and paste it here.  Which brings up a question: Do we need to have a page in the documentation on weatherproof connectors?  We could include things like this in an easy-to-find location.

What is "Weather Pack"?

Weather Pack is an environmentally sealed electrical connection system developed by Packard Electric engineers (now Delphi/Packard Electric Systems) to withstand exposure to extreme temperatures, moisture, and harsh engine compartment fluids and chemicals. They are extensively used in severe duty applications including racing, construction, off-road, and industrial equipment.

Weather Packs mate heat stabilized polyamide housings (Weather Pack “towers and shrouds”), male and female “pin and socket” Weather Pack terminals and self-lubricating silicone Weather Pack connector seals, cable seals and cavity plugs. The connectors are made of a nylon material for the best combination of temperature resistance and flexibility. They have been tested to withstand temperatures of -40C to 125C. The terminals are tin-plated and utilize flex pin and lap lock designs to provide the highest reliability. Their dual locking tangs securely hold the terminal inside the connector cavity. Weather Pack self-lubricating seals feature multiple sealing ribs and will not stain, deteriorate or corrode other materials.

The system is rated 0.05–16.0 VDC, 0-20A. Weather Pack connector configurations are available for one to six wires

Why are the Weather Pack connectors called Towers or Shrouds instead of male or female connectors?

The use of the "Tower and Shroud" nomenclature eliminates confusion with gender specific connectors. Weather Pack towers are most often used with female terminals but they can also be used with male terminals. Weather Pack shrouds are most often used with male terminals but they can also be used with female terminals. It is even possible to use both male and female terminals in a single multi-circuit Tower or Shroud.

I’ve ordered Weather Pack terminals and connectors. Do I need anything else?

Weather Pack terminals are ALWAYS used with Weather Pack cable seals. One is required for each terminal, male or female. You might also want to order a Weather Pack release tool in case you need to disassemble a completed Weather Pack termination for inspection or rework. The Weather Pack release tool depresses the terminal retention barbs and allows the Weather Pack terminals to be removed from the connectors.

How do I choose the right size cable seal?

The choice of cable seal is determined by the insulation diameter of the wire being used. The guidelines offered below apply to Weather Pack and Sealed Metri-Pack 280 Series installations.

F or Type GPT and GXL wire, the red seal normally fits 22 gauge; the green seal normally fits 20, 18, and 16 gauge; the gray seal normally fits 14 gauge; and the blue seal normally fits 12 gauge.

For heavier wall Type SXL wire, the green seal normally fits 20 and 18 gauge; the gray seal normally fits 16 gauge; and the blue seal normally fits 14 and 12 gauge.

For thin-wall wire construction such as Type TXL, the red seal normally fits 20 gauge; the green seal normally fits 18, 16 and 14 gauge; the gray seal normally fits 12 gauge; and the blue seal normally fits 10 gauge.

The installer must be certain that the seal fits snugly over the wire insulation to maintain a proper environmental seal.

This sounds rather complicated, is there a simpler way?

I you just need to repair an existing weather pack connection, consider getting a 'pigtail'. This consists of a pre-built connector with wires already attached. You simply need to use butt connector terminals to splice it into your application. You can find them HERE. We suggest using Heat Shrink Terminals to maintain the sealed electrical system.

What is the maximum current rating for Weather Pack connectors?

Delphi Packard Electric Systems rates Weather Pack at 0 - 20 amps maximum.

Why is Weather Pack available in 12-gauge if the maximum current rating is only 20 amps?

The 12-gauge Weather Pack terminals are designed for signal voltages where conductor reliability is critical. A larger conductor will provide a clearer signal than a smaller one. The 12-gauge Weather Pack terminals should not be used in high-current applications that would normally use 12-gauge wire.

Is there a sealed connection system that will carry more than Weather Pack's 20 amps?

Consider our Deutsch connector kits for applications over 20 amps.

Why are there slits on some of the individual towers on Weather Pack tower connectors?

The slits are called indexing slots and they prevent mismating. A Weather Pack tower connector will only fit the matching Weather Pack shroud connector.

What do the Weather Pack tower connector colors signify?

Colors are used with application-specific Weather Pack connectors to make them look different from the standard tower connectors. The colored connectors are designed to fit devices such as switches or sensors. They feature special indexing and are not interchangeable with the standard black tower connectors.

I’m looking for Weather Packs with flat male blade terminals or square profile female terminals. Do you have them?

The Weather Pack system uses only round pin terminals or round socket terminals. If a sealed connector without round terminals is marked "DELPHI" or "P.E.D.," it could be a Metri-Pack, a GT or a Ducon series connector.

My sample is marked ">PA 66< 96". Do you stock this part?

This marking identifies the connector material Polyamide 6/6 (a.k.a. Nylon) and the mold cavity number. This is not enough information to identify a component. Delphi/Packard Electric Systems' part numbers are typically 8 digits such as "12124582."

Is there a simple way to repair a Weather Pack Connection?

Yes, consider using a pigtail assembly, like the ones we offer HERE. Simply splice this in place of your current connector. We suggest using Crimp & Solder Seal butt connectors to maintain the sealed connection.

Do I need a crimp tool made specifically for Weather Pack?

Not necessarily. Many open barrel crimp tools can perform an acceptable Weather Pack wire crimp. A Weather Pack seal crimp can be made with common slip joint pliers. Note that the seal crimp should be just firm enough to hold the seal in place. A tight seal crimp can damage the seal. Professional tools made specifically for Weather Packs crimp both the terminal and the seal in one cycle.

What does a proper Weather Pack crimp look like?

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Well, I've been doing it wrong all these years - I always assumed the male pins went with the male connectors, but if I read that correctly, the male pins are supposed to go in the female connectors.

Guess it doesn't really matter, if I pick a standard and stick with it.

They mention that the connectors go from 1 connector to 6 connector, but they make no mention of the 22 pin firewall/bulkhead connector. Maybe that's an aftermarket thing and is not part of the original WP line-up, but it is out there and I have used them several times.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are right, Pete, on both scores.  The standard may be male pins in a female connector, but as long as you are the only one using it I think you can do it either way.  Or, as it says, use a mix of male and female pins in the same connector.

And, I'll bet either the 22-pin isn't a Packard original or they just don't carry it.  My Google search turned up several such 22-pin connectors.

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
It's a tradition not a standard. You can pin them any way they want. I knew a guy who redid a bunch of wiring in his boat and had a lot of 3-pins. He deliberately mixed up the male/female pins between the "towers and shrouds" like the text posted above so they would only fit with the right mates.

Learn something new every day. I guess I've been doing mine wrong all along too! I didn't realize you crimped the "wings" right onto the green weather-seals - I always just stuffed those on afterwards (they're flexible enough where it works). Good to know! My kit was an obvious ripoff, so it didn't come with much information.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.