classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Snorkel For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are so many things that could stop Big Blue that it makes difficult to know what spares to carry.

Thinking about the starter, I wonder if BB could be "bump started" by using the winch and low gear?

The failure points in the fuel system are the pumps, which are in the tanks, so we can switch from one to the other if a pump fails.

But there's the ignition system and ECU that could stop us.  Bill carries a spare ECU, and while I think I still have a spare of his I'm not sure I should take it into the back of beyond.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ignition, you just need an extra heat sink and black Motorcraft TFI module, maybe a spare coil. EEC, hang on to that spare, flash it with your tune and carry it with you. I have at least one spare heat sink so you can swap the TFI fast with one wrench or screwdriver.

Even here on Virginia's appendix, I can find a TFI module fairly easily, in BFE it might be harder.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Thinking about the starter, I wonder if BB could be "bump started" by using the winch and low gear?
I’d use third gear, might skid the tires in low.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Dane - Good point.

Bill - Thanks, but I have to get another certification or license to flash my tune into that ECU, right?

As for the ignition, just a spare TFI module and reuse the heat sink?  I think I have a spare module in a heat sink, so that would be easier in the back of beyond.

But coils don't fail, do they?    (I know you know this story, but I'll repeat for the others.)  I'll never forget pulling into the rest area on I10 in western Arizona in our '72 F250.  Shut it down, when in to the bathroom, came back and it wouldn't start.  It was very late so we went to bed - bed, not sleep as the trucker next to us left his cows running and they mooed and pooed all night.

In the morning when I could see I discovered that we didn't have spark but did have a signal to the coil.  So I split the case on the coil with a chisel and discovered the primary wire had broken off the stud.  I cleaned the varnish off the wire and made its end into a loop.  Put a piece of stranded wire on the stud and into the loop and crimped it.  Wrapped the whole thing in many layers of paper towel and put it back in the holder.

The truck fired up immediately and we drove into the next town and bought a new coil.  I put it in the side pocket and we went on to LA, north to SF, and then back to Wichita on the old coil.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The main reason I said with the heat sink, changing the module involves a tiny socket, possibly a special one and thermal paste. Swapping the assembly is two bolts and a plug.

On the coil, you do not have any of the solenoids if I remember correctly, so you could probably mount a spare coil on the bracket so it would be a move the connectors deal.

A stock EEC will run the truck well enough to get to a safe area or main road so hang on to the extra at least until your overland trip is done.

Cap, adapter and rotor as spares and maybe a couple of air filters (for dust and water).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I'll work on the spares list for the trip with Bret.  Right now I'm crashing to get the new air inlet done as Janey and I are planning to take the truck to look for the Butterfield stage route in SE OK.  And hopefully that will happen on the 21st and 22nd, so I need to get the air inlet done and installed as I'm told there is one stream to cross.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Been reading with interest. I used to run the rivers a LOT. As you can see in my pic I ran the snorkle straight up out of the hood. I could run in water up to the bottom of it, @ 6 feet.
  I'm sure you know this. If the water gets up to your Bumper in depth. Keep your speed to where the front bumper is riding on the back of the wave you are pushing. That way the back side of the wave is under your truck and not as deep. You can go thru a lot deeper water than you think if you keep the front bumper on the back of the wave.

Have fun on your trip. Hopefully I can get the house done this year so I could try some of those outings.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't know that, Bruce.  Thanks!

I do hope you get the house done and can get out on some of the trails.  You sure have a lot of them, almost literally in your back yard.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Yes we do have some trails, Haven't been to SMORR in a couple of years. I only live 30 miles from there. Have a Blessed week.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
One item on the air inlet. It will need a small drain at the lowest point, a small flap of rubber over a 1/4", maybe smaller hole so any water that gets in can drain out. Flap so it doesn't leak in.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good thought, Bill.  But I've already installed it w/o a drain.  

But the air box actually has two small drain holes in it, one of which you can see in the shot below, so any water that gets that far will drain.  But that isn't the lowest spot.  It is just outside the air box and that bit is well and truly SEALED.  Not just with epoxy but also the insulation and aluminum duct tape.

So if water does get in there it'll stay until it evaporates.  Hopefully it won't get in there?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
I’d use third gear, might skid the tires in low.
I've tried it in my Bronco.  Even with a 73:1 crawl ratio it would turn the engine over in low-low (in 4WD on bare rock, so pretty good traction).  But it didn't turn it over fast enough to get any fire.  Maybe your winch is faster than mine, or your engine will fire at a lower speed.  But I wouldn't bet on it working.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Ok, I'll not rely on that as a solution.  Thanks.