classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Snorkel For Big Blue?

BigBrother-84
Gary,
Here is a different project that could solve your water/intake issue and amuse you for a while.
One more step in Big Blue's transformation.

Just have to design a telescopic ladder to jump in-out the cab and the bed.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That might do it!  Something like 50" tires would raise the air inlet by (50-33)/2 = 8 1/2".  Wait!  Wouldn't it be easier to just move the air inlet up 12"?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Lol!
But isn't a "snorkel add on" a too simplistic challenge for you?
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
easier is for sissies. go big or go home. unless home is on the other side of the river.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - I'm a sissy when it comes to the drivability of something like that.  Gotta drive it from here to "there", wherever "there" is, and back again.  Plus put gas in it, and that height would surely dramatically increase the aero drag.  Then there's the effective gear ratio problem.  

Jeff - Gotta get this thing ready for our outting, which is in a month or two.  No time to totally mess things up.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The distributor issue is not about sealing the wires, it is about keeping water out of the internals. A couple of thoughts, GM on the new LT1 engines, moved the distributor to a location between the water pump and block. These have a pretty well sealed inside area (until the water pump seal goes) and are connected with one or two hoses to the air inlet area. These are to purge anything that leaks into the distributor.

If you take a 460 distributor (I will look at one of my spares later) and put a small hole with a nipple on the low side (should be the side near the water neck) and have that go through a small line to the area behind the throttle body and a second one on the distributor to the intake ahead of the throttle body, then seal cap to adapter to distributor, any leakage into the distributor would be promptly scavenged by manifold vacuum, even at a good throttle opening.

Fan, 1996 T-Bird has one that will cover 3/4 of the truck radiator and is a two speed unit.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Gotta get this thing ready for our outting, which is in a month or two.  No time to totally mess things up.  
I admit this is probably a wise decision.  Not for the truck lifting job, which I consider a really easy project for you (maybe too simple?).

Indeed, I just realized that the main challenge would be that you'll cannot lift that monster without bumping your garage ceiling, and have to change your garage door too.
That's the real time consuming part of the project.  No chance to take, cannot afford to miss that exciting ride with your son.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
im still amazed at how many home grown monster trucks get built. i really love the stance that most lifted trucks had in the 70s. the tire sizes looked appropriate. and omg. 6 whole inches of lift! having a "baja" style was near extreme compared to the "big foot" phase.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I'll keep the mods to the dizzy in mind in case we have any problems.  But having watched plenty of other vehicles go through those water crossings with nary a problem I'm guessing we won't have any either - if I can get the air inlet up.

Matt - What's wrong with the snorkel/inlet on your bench?  I'm pretty sure I'll have to make mods to it, so maybe I don't need a perfect one?  And checking around here hasn't found any, yet, although the local salvage is closed at the moment.

Jeff - I have Big Blue just about where I want him.  The SAS/RSK job lifted it just right so that with the 4" F350 block in the rear it is level.  And the 33's give me enough clearance and yet reasonable wind drag on the highway.  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Thanks, but that has a few more flaws than I can deal with.  If I can't find one in a salvage here I'll order the one that David found.   Thanks again.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Bill - I'll keep the mods to the dizzy in mind in case we have any problems.  But having watched plenty of other vehicles go through those water crossings with nary a problem I'm guessing we won't have any either - if I can get the air inlet up.
Gary, going here and there, I felt on this (LMC).
Don't know if relevant for water protection when crossing a watercourse.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's an interesting find, Jeff.  Here's a link to the Distributor Boot on LMC.

However, the advert is very confusing.  It shows that boot with a DuraSpark distributor with the large cap, but it then says under Vehicle Application that it includes parts for vehicles from 1957 to 1972.  And if I remember correctly the DuraSpark dizzy with the large cap didn't come out until later, like 1978.

So I don't know if it'll fit.  And I think LMC has confusing info on their page.  So I'm going to tag Mr. Ford @ LMC, aka Keith/FORDification, to see what he thinks.

Keith - Does that boot fit the large-cap dizzy?  Or does it fit the smaller one, like all of the vehicles in the application list have?

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that was my thought exactly. I have it for reference but it's not going on a vehicle. though it may find itself modified one day should a need or theory arise. maybe a little vent could fix it right up
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Can you post some pics of it?  Can you put it on a dizzy for the pics?  I'm curious how it goes on and might be interested in one if it looks like it could seal up the dizzy.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
1977 on DS-II, that was what my 1977 F150 had with the 300 six, I converted a 1976 390 camper special distributor to DS-II by adding the cap, rotor and cap adapter. I believe I have seen a similar boot used on trucks and cars where water splashing was an issue.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill. I couldn’t remember but knew my ‘72 didn’t have the large cap.

So that proves the point - the advert shows a distributor that none of the vehicles in the list had.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I've called around the area and cannot find that snorkel/air inlet so I pulled the trigger on the one David found.  (Thanks again, David.)  Should be here by Jan 4th.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I don't have the dist cover on hand. the last one I had was on mustang gt many years ago but making a diaper as we use to call it is not difficult if you are considering one as a "splash guard". looking in a fox body forum may lead you to one .
Reply | Threaded
|

FORDification
The distributor boot pictured above from LMC will fit either the small cap or the large cap, but it IS actually sized for the large cap, and is OEM Ford stock straight from the Ford dealer, as these were original equipment on the 1986-1993 Mustang 5.0L. It fits very snug on the large cap, a little looser on the small cap. As noted in the catalog they'll fit distributor caps up to 5" in diameter. The bare big cap is 4-7/16" diameter, the small cap is 3-7/8" diameter.
Keith - FORDification.info/.com/.net - The '61-'79 Ford Pickup Resources