1 ... 567891011 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rembrant's new non-Bullnose project

Rembrant
FuzzFace2 wrote
Yes them pipes look good

Did you block the cross over ports in the head / intake?
I think that is where the EGR port gets the gases from so if they are blocked that should also help let that gasket live as it would not have any gases at it.
Dave ----
That's a good question Dave, I'm not sure as it has been a while now, but I don't think I did. I'll have a look through my old pics and see if I can tell.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I finally started working on the front end this week, and removed the driver's size spindle. I guess it was a bad sign when I was able to remove the kingpin by hand (after reading numerous reports about how difficult they are to remove). Turns out the kingpin hole in the axle was oversized...likely rusted out or worn sometime many years ago. Even though there's a tapered lock pin to hold the Kingpin in place, I didn't like the fact that it was a sloppy fit which had the potential to throw the kingpin angle off, or to just not be good and tight like it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I posted a wanted add on Facebook for an axle beam, assuming there should be a few around since everybody does front end swaps on these trucks. Boom, in a couple of days I found 4 axle beams within a 100-120 mile radius. I went and picked one up yesterday in the middle of nowhere, and it had been removed from a western truck, so it was in pretty nice condition. It also looked like it had never been touched before either.

I took apart everything I could at home, and then took the whole axle assembly to my work to use the press. Oh man were the kingpins hard coming out lol. Imagine being locked and rusted in place for 73 years?? It was all the little 20 ton press could do....I'd load it up as hard as I could pump it and BANG!...the pin would move an 1/8" lol. After a few more big bangs, it started going easier and finally came out.

After getting everything disassembled and cleaned up (bushings were hard to press out of the spindles too), all of the holes and bores looked really good. The kingpins fit perfect now, with a snug slip fit, and the taper pins are nice and tight also, just like they're supposed to be.

What a job, but it was rewarding after the fact. Disassembling 73 year old parts, and finding all of the fits just like new.

Back to waiting for RockAuto and LMC deliveries, but I have lots to do in the meantime getting the axle swapped out.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I had to use a MAP gas torch and a BMF hammer to drive the pins out on my 81.

I did not have a press and I should have bought one then as it was a sign.
Because of no press I had to farm out the bushing being pressed out & in and reamed to size.
Well the shop I was told by 3 people to use, the only shop, did not press the bushings in enough for the seals to fit.

Then a few months later when I went to put everything together the pins would only go thru the 1 side of the bushings at a time. When they reamed the bushings they did 1 size for the pin to fit then turned it around and reamed the other bushing so the pin would not fit thru both sides
Because it was so long and no way for them to ream them right with out new bushings and I was not going to spend $100 just for bushings I used a wheel cyl hone and had to tap the pins in with a hammer.

Yea I was not a happy camper!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ha! Dave, that would be frustrating!

I ordered one of those adjustable reamers on Amazon...it was only like $20 bucks, and if it works once that's enough. I just need to be careful not to go too big lol. I don't want to do this twice. Thankfully the pins fit nicely in the axle beam now, so that part is good.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
As long as the reamer has a guide that fits in the other end to ream parallel so what happened to mine will not happen to you.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - Glad you got that "new" axle beam.  Getting things together like that is such a thrill!

The press you used looks to be exactly like mine.  And I know what you mean about BANG!  When that happens the first time it is scary.  But once it does that the next few times aren't quite as bad.

I really like the fork lift holding the end of the axle beam up.  I have to back my truck out and put something under the end of long pieces like that, and it is hard to find something that is just the right height.  Your solution works great.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I had a very nice portable king pin press I had bought when I did the ones on my 1958 F100. Unfortunately in trying to get all the tools located (a friend was doing that) while two of us were getting things out of the house it didn't get loaded. I do have a nice long adjustable reamer with the guide cones so it will go straight through both ends.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The press you used looks to be exactly like mine.  And I know what you mean about BANG!  When that happens the first time it is scary.  But once it does that the next few times aren't quite as bad.

I really like the fork lift holding the end of the axle beam up.  I have to back my truck out and put something under the end of long pieces like that, and it is hard to find something that is just the right height.  Your solution works great.  
Gary,

That's a 20 ton Princess Auto press I bought about 10 years ago at work. Princess Auto is the Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight, although they have gotten a lot better in recent years. We have a bigger 50 ton press with an electric pump, but I don't like using it because you can't feel how hard you're pressing. The little manual one gives you some "feel" on what you're working on.

That forklift is a great 3rd hand...adjustable in several directions. I don't know how I would have done the job without it.

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Rembrant wrote
I haven't updated the old project thread in a while so I thought I'd post up the current status.

I have finally gotten to where all of the big stuff is done, and I now have a whole bunch of little things to do.

The newer engine, transmission, and rearend are all solidly installed, along with a new custom driveshaft.

I left the old dual exhaust in the truck...well, most of it at least, so I needed new down pipes to connect the new engine to the old pipes. I couldn't get any local shops to make the pipes for me, so I grabbed a bunch of loose fittings and made them myself. Got them all together, and then welded every joint.

I have been playing around with the carburetor this week. I had to make some custom covers and gaskets for my new carb to work properly on the old Foxbody intake. It has an elongated hole in it for exhaust, which I assume was to heat the factory carb?

I got that all sorted out (I think?). I'm running a 1" spacer under the carb, but it just barely covered that hole so I made a plate out of 16ga aluminum, along with another wider gasket to place under the 1" spacer. I don't have pics, but the elongated hole is now well covered. I hope it works.

Next issue, was the TPS. Because I'm running an electronically controlled 4R70W (or AODE-W) from a 1996 F150, there's no kickdown rod or cable, so I need to install a TPS on the carb. This isn't really a big deal. It should look like the below pic:

Problem is, my new 500CFM Summit carb came with a rigid dual inlet fuel line that's in the way.

Anyway, not the end of the world, but I'm going to swap out the rigid line for barbs and rubber hoses so I can lower the line enough to give the TPS the room it needs to move.

Other than that, I'm waiting for FedEx to bring me a RockAuto order. Next up is new kingpins and front brakes.I've never done kingpins before, so we'll see how this goes. I ordered an adjustable reamer on Amazon for $24 bucks, so hopefully that does the trick to get them fitted.

Starting this morning (after my coffee is done) to pull the front hubs and see if I can knock the kingpins out. Fingers crossed.

First off, love the truck—not often one sees a Mercury.

Second:  where did you get the pipes since a shop would not do it for you.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
AmericanSavage wrote

Thanks. The Mercury trucks are actually pretty common here in Canada. I wouldn't say they're 50/50 with the Fords or anything, but at any given car show around here, if there are 10 fomoco trucks there, 3 will be Mercs!

On the exhaust, I bought all individual pieces and welded them together myself to make the pipes myself.

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Rembrant wrote
AmericanSavage wrote

Thanks. The Mercury trucks are actually pretty common here in Canada. I wouldn't say they're 50/50 with the Fords or anything, but at any given car show around here, if there are 10 fomoco trucks there, 3 will be Mercs!

On the exhaust, I bought all individual pieces and welded them together myself to make the pipes myself.

Just want to be clear—you even bought them pre-bent?  Please do share where!
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
AmericanSavage wrote
Just want to be clear—you even bought them pre-bent?  Please do share where!
Oh, sorry...yes I bought all the pipe fittings loose and then fitted the whole thing together under the truck to position the pieces, and then took it all back out and welded everything together.

I bought them at Canadian Tire, and I'm not sure what the equivalent store would be in the US. It's a blend of hardware, sporting goods, and auto parts all under one roof lol. It's our go to store. I assume the American auto parts stores sell pre-bent exhaust pipe fittings? Our local stores have a whole exhaust section with all these pieces, so you carry 'em all home in a bag and then assemble at home lol.

We have Napa and CarQuest and similar shops here...but they don't cater as much to the DIY crowd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Yesterday was Kingpin installation. My first time ever doing old school bushings. I didn't want to hammer them in, so I used a piece of 1/2" fine threaded rod and it worked perfectly. After the bushing was about 1/3 of the way in I had to use a piece of pipe on my ratchet, but they still went in nice and smooth. My cheap Amazon adjustable reamer took some getting used to, but it worked OK in the end. I'm surprised about how much material actually had to be removed. It seemed like a lot to me. I didn't measure the bushing ID's once installed, but they're only 0.010" smaller than the OD of the pins prior to installation. Anyway, a reamer that was long enough to do both bushings at once would have been ideal, but mine was not. I had to do some finish work with sand paper, but I got a nice slip fit in the end. Today I'm on to reinstalling the drum brakes and doing wheel bearings.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  I've not done that, but I've read that it can be a bear, so I'm glad your process worked so well.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If I ever have to do mine again I will also use threaded rod, washers and nuts to press them in.
I also have a reamer, still in the box, so hope it will go all the way thru to guide it.

You got lucky that it only took sand paper to clean up to get the pins installed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
FuzzFace2 wrote
If I ever have to do mine again I will also use threaded rod, washers and nuts to press them in.
I also have a reamer, still in the box, so hope it will go all the way thru to guide it.

You got lucky that it only took sand paper to clean up to get the pins installed.
Dave ----
Ya, since it was my first time doing them, I was pretty careful at first only adjusting my reamer very minimally each time I made a pass. I got the bushings so that the pin fit snugly in each one, but I then couldn't get the pin in both of them at the same time, so that's when I used the sand paper. I rolled up a full sheet, and then ran it back and forth through both bushings at the same time until the pin would slide through both bushings at the same. Not ideal, I know, but it worked with what I had on hand for tools and supplies. The reamer was only about $20 bucks on Amazon, and for what it was it seemed to work OK.
The sand paper actually gave them a nice smooth finish on the inside as opposed to the reamer. Even with the reamer they weren't bad, but the sand paper smoothed them out nicely.

We'll see how they do on the road though Dave, maybe they'll wear out in no time I don't know lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Mine were so far off the pin would not even start in the other side.

I used a wheel cly hone to hone them out but still needed to tap them in with a hammer.
The weight of the bare spindle would make them flop from side to side (with a little help) so felt they were good. I did not want to go too much and all play to them.

They have loosen up some the 2+ years the truck has been on the road but that is many 1000's of miles.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
This poor old project has been on the back burner for weeks now. Busy at work, and working when I'm home, so there's been no time for the truck lately.

Anyway, today I installed the TPS on my carb to test it out. I tried it previously but the hard piped tube was in the way, so I had to order some very expensive Holley fittings so I can run rubber fuel hose. They took a few weeks to arrive, and today I finally had time to try it out.

Original setup...

Barbed inlets instead of hard pipe:

TPS installed:

It's a Holley TPS kit on a Summit carb...but the Summit carb was previously a Holley 4010, which was previously an Autolite 4100, I think?

Anyway, it fits OK but still needs some tweaking, and I found out that my choke cap is broken. The little brass base that the spring is attached to has broken loose from one of the rivets holding it to the plastic cap. So is life.

I'm going to have to bend or modify the linkage a bit as it rubs on the back of the choke housing, and the adjustment screw doesn't sit evenly on the red plastic choke linkage. It fits on the engine fine and clears the valve cover with some extra room. So now I need to get a new choke cap and play with this thing a bit to get it working nice and smooth.

For anybody that doesn't know, the whole purpose of the TPS on the carb is so that my throttle communicates with the Quick4 controller for my electronic 4R70W transmission. These days an auto trans is a requirement for me, as is overdrive. With gas at 7 bucks a gallon here, I'm not driving anything without OD.

That's all from the busted knuckle garage today. Back to your regular Bullnose entertainment;).

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm surprised those barb fittings were stupid expensive. They're only reverse flare on the bowl side, aren't they?

Bill (LeBaronT2) is the one to ask. He seems to have the catalogues with all the thread pitches and tube flares noted.

But.... Progress is Good!!!!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two steps forward and one back is still progress.  And it does make sense that the Holley TPS fits given the heritage of that carb.

But $7/gallon?  Yikes!  Even with the exchange rate that's over $5 US/gallon.  Here its about $3.50.

1 ... 567891011 ... 15