13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Radio Bezel - Black Paint for Touchups

ckuske
Administrator
Hello All,

I'm looking for a black touch-up paint that can get rid of some scuffs in my radio bezel.  A matte type paint seems like it'd be best, but does anyone have recommendations?  The scuff is on the emblem area, so it'd be pretty visible if it didn't match well.

Thanks!

-Chris
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Radio Bezel - Black Paint for Touchups

kramttocs
Administrator
Photo?
Likely a situation where you mask and repaint the whole area.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
The woodgrain bezels are the ones that had painted nameplate panels, so I am guessing that’s what you are working with. I don’t know if it is an exact match, but I used SEM Euro Jet Satin for my headlight doors and black grille insert on my ‘81. It has a very pleasing sheen that is very smooth without being too glossy or too flat. I intended to use this for restoring the black areas on dash bezels, but I never actually got that far. Again, I don’t know if it’s a match to the factory black, but seems perfect for the application:
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I don't know why, but even when the photos are correct in Windows Explorer, the pictures are rotated when I upload.  I try to rotate them and re-upload, but it seems the server is hanging onto the first copy.
 Argh.

Anyway, here are the pics.

I agree with you guys, painting all the black areas is best to make it look consistent.

My OE bezel is missing the area where the radio knobs go, so I bought this Ranger bezel to replace it.  It's in pretty good shape overall, but I need to scrape off the foam/glue where the emblem went, and paint it.  I also have to fill in the holes where the emblem inserted into the bezel.  Would epoxy be good for this, or something else?

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I've used the black plastic epoxy to fill in some holes a PO drilled in the cluster bezel and it worked out well. Wouldn't notice them unless looking. They are on the underside of the top row of indicators though so I didn't bother sanding them smooth and painting.

Are you putting an XL emblem on there?
As was mentioned, the black may not be an exact match so will that be ok or are you going to repaint all the black areas on the bezel?

Also, I would get some input on masking the areas off. I don't have any experience masking them but after seeing some of the flaking bezels, I would be cautious of putting tape on them in case they lift the woodgrain on removal.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ckuske
ckuske wrote
I don't know why, but even when the photos are correct in Windows Explorer, the pictures are rotated when I upload.  I try to rotate them and re-upload, but it seems the server is hanging onto the first copy.
 Argh.
It's not you, it's Nabble.  All you have to do to fix it is open the photo on your desktop in Paint or something similar, and resave it.  No changes, no mods, just save the photo back to disk right on top of itself.  Doing so does something to the metadata and Nabble can then read it correctly.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Yeah, I'm planning on putting an XL emblem back on it (there is one on Dennis Carpenter that looks good) so it's important that I fill in the holes where the Ranger emblem went.

I think my only choice (that I can stand with my OCD tendencies haha) is to repaint all the black areas.  Good point about the masking!  The secondary reason I bought this replacement bezel is a small area of the woodgrain flecked off my original bezel and I knew I wasn't going to be happy with that moving forward.  A gentle touch will be required, for sure.

While we are on the subject of paints, what have you guys used to repaint the silver trim?  I used this stuff on my instrument bezel and it looks good but I'd be curious to see what you guys have used.  I used a pointed Q-Tip to apply.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Good to know, thanks Dorsai!  Nabble must not like the EXIF data (which includes orientation) that comes from the pictures taken on my iPhone perhaps?  
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think Jonathan covered how to do the silver bead in his page here: Documentation/Interior/Salvaging Rosewood.

As for the EXIF data, Nabble ignores it.  Nabble, like many forum apps, was written before that was common.  So we are stuck orienting our pics to it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Gary, I had completely forgotten I read that page.  I bought those exact nail tees and the same paint.

So, thanks Jonathan!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Since this came up...

I have been meaning to post an update to the rosewood restoration page. It has to do with the durability of the mirror chrome paint. In areas where it is absolutely never touched it still looks as it did when I painted it. In areas where it gets touched or rubbed for cleaning, it is turning dull and wiping off completely in spots. Unfortunately I believe it may need to be clear coated in order to be durable. I intend to re do the chrome bead, then do another coat of clear over my whole bezel. This is not good news for those who do not want to clear coat the whole bezel, or for people restoring weave bezels. I have a black weave instrument bezel and I may experiment with mirror chrome topped with clear nail polish.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I ran into the same thing, I found a clear coat that I have yet to apply from the same company that makes the silver.  Since I just noticed this recently, I can't say whether it helps a lot or a little, but it should be better than nothing.  It's specifically for the chrome paint they sell:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q6VWL0

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you! Good find. I will try that instead of nail polish, especially if it is intended as a top coat over their mirror chrome.