416 messages Options
1 ... 1415161718192021
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Glad Larry is getting to strut his stuff.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
👍👍👍
Their store brand ONN devices get good reviews for something made to a price point.
They're not heavily skinned or loaded with advertising and surveillance ware to my knowledge.

I'm considering the 11" tablet Pro
I wouldn’t want an ONN for a TV without a soundbar or some kind of alternate audio output. The speakers are horrible in them (we have one in our MBR). Not an issue on these for church as we won’t need sound.

I’d say their tablets would be decent. Probably a good price right now. I got these TV’s for $298. They are normally $348, which is already cheaper than any other brand.
Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Cool!  Glad Larry is getting to strut his stuff.  
He’s definitely got the rowdiest sounding engine of anything I’ve owned. Probably something to do with the exhaust leaks. 😂

EDIT: not sure why that picture flipped over.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by chirkware
Maybe a soundbar is in your future if a deal comes up?
Black Friday if there are any left?

I haven't owned a TV in 40 years. I just want a personal media consumption device with an unblemished screen and a battery that holds.a charge.
An actual 3.5mm jack would be a plus for late nights.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
There's a screw into the metal frame of the dash.

Look for multiple black wires with ring terminals.

If you look in the front of the '86 EVTM there should be illustrations which show all the grounds in place.
If you don't have your own hard copy it's WELL worth putting a saved search into eBay and waiting for one to show up for about $25 delivered.

Within a day or two of creating a saved search, I got a notification of one bring listed auction style. $9.99 starting bid plus $4.99 shipping. It just ended and no one bid against me!

Sweet! This is gonna be so helpful!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!  That's an excellent price.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Awesome!  

You really made out with that one.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Awesome!  

You really made out with that one.  
I was thrilled! eBay notified me with 10 minutes left that I was the high bidder.

When it got to 30 seconds left, I entered a new max bid of $30.01 and waited till the timer said 2 seconds to submit it, just in case someone tried to outbid me at the last second. No other bids so my bid stayed at $9.99.

Funny thing, if they'd listed it with a buy it now price of $25, I'd have bought it right away.

Oh, and I sold that trim panel off the old tailgate. Figured it was wrong for Larry so I didn't need to keep it. Got most of the money for the new tailgate back with that sale. 😁
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Hope y’all have a wonderful Thanksgiving day with your loved ones. Remember to truly give thanks for the blessings from above!

This arrived…all the way from Seattle to East Tennessee! It’s gonna be a HUGE help!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind is that the EVTM only shows the circuit in question.
You will find that it might show a 3 pin connector, but that connector could also be handling other things. So it might appear different than you think.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!  🦃
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Drove Larry to the Office for them first time today. Looked out the windows and caught a coworker looking at it. He’s already told me he wants it. LOL, nope, not for sale!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is fun to have others interested - even though you aren't about to sell.  

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Snow day today…we got about 10” over 24 hours, and the office was closed. We’re supposed to report at 11am tomorrow. It’ll be about 15° at that point in the day. It’s 5°as I type this with a low overnight of 1°. Brr! 🥶🥶 Decided to try out some equipment I bought to help me shoot better videos, so this is mostly just me trying to put together a good quality video. Obviously not there most compelling material, but I’m happy with the audio quality, especially sitting inside the truck with the engine running and you can hear me loud and clear.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
👍👍👍.  Audio quality is excellent!!!

I wish our 'snow' was like that.
Here along the coast we got a couple of inches (50mm) of fluff and then 8 hours of "wintery mix' Aka sleet

That's exactly how a truck should start in the cold.  😁

And good for you to knock the snow off your boots.
Salty slush sitting at the door pinch weld that the gasket fits on is what rots floors out along side the seat.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  Yes, the audio is excellent and the truck started nicely.  

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Well, I may be about to venture into unchartered territory on Larry soon...

A week or so ago, my son and I drove all over town in Larry, and I started noticing the brakes were intermittently VERY bad/almost non-existent, so I got it home and decided it would be time to check over my work (I had recently replaced almost everything, sans the booster/master cylinder, and the front right caliper--which prior owner confirmed he had already replaced).

I bled the brakes completely, then tested to quickly find they were still very bad.  Realized I should have checked the adjusters on the rear...and I found them VERY loose, especially the passenger side.  But thankfully I pulled the drums off to have a look, and found the passenger side to be very oily.  Uh oh.  Wheel cylinder (a year old) looked fine, dry as it could be.

So...leaking axle seal?  It pretty much has to be doesn't it?  It's a Ford 9".  

Out of curiosity, would a couple of burnouts potentially lead to a seal failure?  Just asking for a friend of course  (But really...just a couple, and not much, just seeing if it would actually do it, lol.)

I know the really out of adjustment rear brakes / even bad rear brakes would affect things, but assuming fronts are good, shouldn't I still at least have some pedal?  Isn't that why we have a split system?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You should have plenty of pedal if the front brakes are properly bled and the master cylinder is good.  And oil on the brake shoes won't hurt the pedal travel either, although it'll hurt the stopping ability.

So something isn't right in the system.  And it kind of points to the master if everything else is correct.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How old are the brake hoses?

Baby ever since step on the pedal while you watch, and look to see if cracks open up

Is the line of soft pressure is going to make it balloon and the pedal's going to go down

Otherwise I agree with Gary
On bolt the master from the booster and see if it's wet back there
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I doubt burnouts would do it. at least that's been my experience. master cyl is usually the culprit especially if it is oem cast iron. they tend to rust inside out. mostly due to neglect. who really flushes their fluid every year? no one I know. and I know better. rusty surfaces inside will wear seals quickly.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Thanks guys! Definitely sounds like I need to swap in a new master cylinder. I will say my fluid level was full when I checked it so it doesn’t seem to be losing fluid. I was really expecting to find it low.

All rubber hoses were new last year, as were both wheel cylinders and the drivers side caliper (passenger caliper was just a couple years old, confirmed  replaced by prior owner). New pads too. Shoes aren’t new, but have lots of wear left on them.

I will say that the fluid (about a year old) in the rear of the master cylinder (so for the front brakes) looked somewhat contaminated. Not sure why. <Front part (for rear brakes) looked clean.> I bled sufficiently to have to mostly refill it twice, and then top it off a third time. Was really surprised by the poor pedal after.  

Looks like I need to prep for an axle bearing swap too on that rear right. It was really wet. I’ve not yet serviced the 9” so I think I need to stop ignoring that now. 😂

Ooooooohhh! I just remembered…when I first pulled the right rear going through the brakes when I got Larry, it was soaked. I concluded it was a bad wheel cylinder. Now I realize it was probably that seal that was the bigger culprit. I better check that diff to make sure it’s still got fluid. 🙄
1 ... 1415161718192021