284 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300
Rodents did more damage than I though possible

Oh well, interior and a working HVAC system are way on down the road. Just emptying the firewall for cleaning.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Looks like they tried to eat it instead of exercise on it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
this is exactly how fires get started. figuratively and literally. many times, the blower fan resister bank, the red panel in the picture, gets buried in leaves and rodent debris and gets ignited.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I have half a mind to lay down some stainless mesh in there. I haven't even vacuumed out the fresh air intake yet, there's still tons of debris that didn't come out with the initial dirt avalanche.

Anyway, in order to put the heat shields back in, and simply to get it out of the way, I need to paint the engine side of the firewall. I am still at a basic level when it comes to paint so I can use some pointers...

The plan is to paint it spruce just like the body and I wanted to go with aerosols. For the primer I am looking at Eastwood 2-component epoxy primer and it looks like I will need two cans. Not sure what to do for top coat or if a clear coat is needed.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I have used Eastwoods two part epoxy many times and usually have some on the shelf. I only buy the gallons though. no experience with their aerosols. but if it works as well then I expect you will be happy. the best pointer I can give is clean it well. as with any paint project. what ever you leave you will keep. a firewall is troublesome simply because it is not flat, and it has more places for dirt and grease to get into. pressure washer is very handy and often where I start. I have also been known to trailer something to the local carwash. right before painting do a white rag test and then wipe it clean with a prep solvent and wait the appropriate flash/dry time.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
mat in tn wrote
I have also been known to trailer something to the local carwash. right before painting do a white rag test and then wipe it clean with a prep solvent and wait the appropriate flash/dry time.
I feel really dumb after reading that because I have set up my garage twice to pressure wash the truck (though one advantage is disconnecting the washing machine to use the hot water tap). I laid out duct tape on the floor with a folded ridge to divert water and plastic sheeting everywhere to protect things from water spray. I didn't put two and two together to just put it on a U-Haul trailer...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's why we have a forum - so we can learn from each other.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
at my last house I had an area behind the house/shop where it was a little lower than the rest of the property. I would put things on the trailer and pull it back there with a truck and set up the pressure washer and get to cleaning. then I could pull back around to the garage to work or put things away clean. I'm still trying to figure out this new home. NOT doing much dirty work in the new garage and that feels counterproductive. yet we do not have easy access to enough water for pressure washing at the shop. rented space! but that's where I can do cutting, welding and grinding.  I do prefer to keep certain tasks separated as much as I can. still figuring out where to paint. it may be a little while.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I have the firewall bare on both sides. The factory firewall insulation pad has material missing from the rodents and the rest of it is really dirty. Does anyone know of a good material that I can fully replace it with? This information is really hard to find on the web believe it or not.

I did come across this:
https://www.thermotec.com/product/cool-it-mat-thermo-tec

Though I feel like it's just a mega expensive version of something I can find at Home Depot.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I found something for $38.99...
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminized-Heat-and-Noise-Insulation-Shield-Double-Sided,32193.html?

Aluminum on both sides, fabric in the center. 46"x75" so it will do the whole firewall. I have some Kilmat sound deadener lying around so I'm going to lay down first. It's butyl rubber so it should stand up to the heat. This is approximately an arm and a leg less money than anything else I've found.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
when I was in retail many years ago, I learned a valuable if not misleading tip. "Marketing is focused' often what something is depends on what they say it is. for example, one person sells a pint of coffee pot cleaner for 5.99 while the same product is sold on the bottom shelf as cleaning vinegar for 2.99 gal.
that is not always the case of course as sometimes there may be something like a flame retardant added to a specialized product. but don't be afraid to do a little "bulk, discount "research. just sayin!
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
mat in tn wrote
when I was in retail many years ago, I learned a valuable if not misleading tip. "Marketing is focused' often what something is depends on what they say it is. for example, one person sells a pint of coffee pot cleaner for 5.99 while the same product is sold on the bottom shelf as cleaning vinegar for 2.99 gal.
that is not always the case of course as sometimes there may be something like a flame retardant added to a specialized product. but don't be afraid to do a little "bulk, discount "research. just sayin!
I put in a few years at hardware stores myself, lots of helping customers find cheaper methods of doing things. Some people don't want that though, they want assurance that a product is for their exact application and don't mind spending more. I get that, sometimes I am in the same boat especially when we are talking chemical compatibility and environmental resistance. And yes, many times a product may be largely the same but it comes with extras, like customer service. Sometimes it makes a world of difference. And then there's just scams, like a certain gun lube manufacturer who sells vegetable oil for $15 in a 2oz bottle.

In this case I was kicking myself because I knew there was something out there. Building materials is neither my forte or my post as a former Home Depot employee. I did come up on Reflectix, and after some reading on hot rod forums, it does amazing at radiant heat (probably great for camper vans) and terribly at conductive heat and sound insulation. But perhaps there is use for it yet. Some users recommend Peel & Seal which is really cheap, but it's literally just aluminum-backed tar tape. No thanks.

Anyway, I ordered the roll I posted above and I'm hoping for the best. I'll use aluminum tape to seal off the edges and keep the water and rodents offa it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
So I had an idea and I got to work on it. Pictures will follow once I'm finished...

I took that firewall insulation material and glued Reflectix to it. Then I cut it to shape and taped the seams with foil tape. I'm going to glue a rubber sheet on top so it looks like the original firewall, and then cut all the holes and stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
using the original as a template is an awesome idea. not having the recycled fabric which hold moisture is also an awesome idea. reflectix i expect will do little to nothing for sound though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JimJam300
Good idea!  

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
That's okay about the sound insulation, I'm laying down the butyl Kilmat on the metal and that should help a little.

Fabric/foil firewall material cut to shape and Reflectix ready to trace.

Two halves ready to glue.

Insulation glued together with 3M Super 77 and edges sealed with foil tape

Just ordered a roll of 1/16" EPDM to glue over the top and then I'm going to cut all the holes.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
looks good so far. interested in the next layer
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JimJam300
That looks great!  I'll have to copy that for Dad's truck.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Well it's finished. If I could do it over again I would use 3M Super 90 instead of 77 and a different rubber material. I chose EPDM because of its weather and chemical resistance, but it's glossy and traps a lot of dust. It is difficult to keep clean when handling.

To cut the holes I used a break-off utility knife and 3 blades. They didn't like going through the fabric material so I cleaned it up with some medical shears and it turned out decent. There's still some adhesive residue on the rubber but luckily acetone is safe on this material.

The Reflectix doesn't make it as flexible as the factory insulation so I will report on the difficulty of the dash installation

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It looks great!  

When does it go on?

1 ... 6789101112 ... 15