Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big GIF, short movie

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Hi Gentlemen!

Just for fun...

Since we cannot post movies to the Forum, I was wondering what size of GIF is possible.
The allowed file limit is 1 Mb.

This is the Shafer Pass (from Big Brother's Big Tour). Top and Bottom.
5 seconds, 256 colours, 10fps, 240x135.  Just under 1 Mb each.

This test gives an idea about the GIF limits.  Cranking any of these settings exceeds the 1 Mb maximum.  And no possible sound.

Linking a YouTube movie is more convenient!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big GIF, short movie

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's cool, Jeff. But who says we can't post movies?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
That's cool, Jeff.  But who says we can't post movies?
Wow Gary, I have to apologize.  You're right, nobody said that we cannot do it, I simply supposed it since I didn't find any way to do so.

But nobody said that it can be done neither.

You'll have to explain me how to link a YouTube movie...  I search and don't find any way.
What are these strange codes "p" "p" and "i/frame"?  Have to enter them manually?

Be aware that the result may be impressive on a computer, it is terrible on a phone (vertical or horizontal), good on an horizontal pad but so-so on a vertical pad.
And I have the bad idea to enter the Forum mainly by the phone door...

Phone result (completely cropped):

Gary Lewis wrote
That's cool, Jeff.  But who says we can't post movies?
<p></p>
<iframe width="1120" height="630" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c1DdWQfwork?si=78py4-bRyGvkAnI8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's how to do it:

1. Go to the video and click the Share button.
  2. Then click the Embed button
  3. Copy the code that starts with "<iframe" and ends with "/iframe>"
  4. Above the post box tick the "Message is in HTML Format box"
  5. Paste the embed code into the post box

But since you are in the HTML format you don't get carriage returns, so if you want spaces between paragraphs you'll need to click the Formatting box and then the Line Feed box.

And I doubled the embed code's width and height numbers, which may be causing part of the problem when entering via the Mobile door. So I didn't change the #'s on this one and let's see how it works.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
But since you are in the HTML format you don't get carriage returns, so if you want spaces between paragraphs you'll need to click the Formatting box and then the Line Feed box.

OK, so these are the mysterious "p" "p" codes, it's for the carriage return. Thanks for the tip! And thanks so much for this user guide!

(It makes me realize that younger people will probably be questioning about what is a «carriage» and why we should «return» it).

«My-First-Posted-Video»:

Oh yeah!!! So NIIIIIICE!

Gary, about the mobile issue: I have to say that I prefer the smallest as possible device is my pocket (presently iPhone 13 Mini). I suppose that the problem isn't the same on a larger phone...

Even with the smaller movie, it is still cropped on my mini phone (vertical and horizontal, although less in horizontal position):

Too bad for the small phones! It is still possible to see the original movie directly on YouTube.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that's where those codes come from.

And yes, you can always go directly to Youtube to see the video if it is cropped on your screen. But there must be a way to put special coding into the HTML to utilize the size of the screen on which it is being displayed. That should solve that problem, so I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

In the interim I'll reduce the size by about 70% to see if it works on your phone.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
In the interim I'll reduce the size by about 70% to see if it works on your phone.
This size is ok for horizontal, but still cropped in vertical phone orientation:

Gary Lewis wrote
But there must be a way to put special coding into the HTML to utilize the size of the screen on which it is being displayed.  That should solve that problem, so I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.
I found this guide.

The guy concludes this way:
«Making a video follow its aspect ratio at all screen sizes is confusing, but luckily the code to do so is short and easy to extend.»

Hopefully, Gary, you’ll see the easy side of this "Wrapping the iFrame in a container" demonstration better than me…

This guy too discuss about resizing an iFrame.

The final html code should look like this example:

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  I'll go read those articles, but it may not be until tomorrow.

It would be nice if there is code that will determine the screen size from the user's device and then set the proper parameters.  But even if we find it we'll have to explain how to use it and it'll be something that everyone that posts a video will have to add to the HTML code.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Had a bit to play with it. I think I did it the way the 2nd one said, so let's see if this works. Please check it out, as I will, on mobile devices.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Works on my iPhone 14 Pro Max!  Both in landscape awa portrait mode. And it works on my Windows laptop!

If it works as well on your Mini then I’ll have to figure out how to package it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Works on my wife's iPad Pro.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me document what I did.

The HTML code I used was:

<div style="padding-bottom:56.25%; position:relative; display:block; width: 100%">
<iframe width="100%" height="100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mx6wf2KmRZU?si=M6YN1eXOZXckR1uy" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen style="position:absolute; top:0; left: 0"></iframe>
</div>

But the Youtube embed code was:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mx6wf2KmRZU?si=UiuezRvBnv628L8z" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So what I did was to add:

This before the embed code: <div style="padding-bottom:56.25%; position:relative; display:block; width: 100%">

Changed: width & height to "100%" and added style="position:absolute; top:0; left: 0"> at the end of the embed code

Put this after the embed code: </div>

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hurray! Works on iPhone 13 Mini too!

You’re the king Gary!

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Glad it worked on your Mini!  But I'm going to tag Jim/Ardwrkntrk to see if it works on his Android as so far we have Windows and Apple devices tested.

Jim - Does the video in this post work well on your device?  In both landscape as well as portrait?  If so we have a breakthrough, although not easily done.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It plays just fine but I can't get it to go full screen, and the hamburger menu and Bullnose truck logo drop down from the top.
Which isn't so bad in portrait but kills 1/3 of my screen in landscape.
Which means there's no possibility of seeing the whole of the imbedded video when sideways.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim. But I don’t understand why it won’t go full screen. It does on my iPhone.

Jeff - Do you have the problems Jim is having?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not sure.
When I touch the little expand (bracket) icon in the lower right the icon responds like normal, but nothing happens with the size of the imbedded video.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Jeff - Do you have the problems Jim is having?

On my side, I can hide the top menu if I swap the whole screen to the top. Works in Portrait and landscape modes.

I noticed that the full screen "square button" is not available in portrait mode. But once the full screen mode is enable, it stays on if I flip the phone from landscape to portrait mode.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The "full screen" button appears for me in both portrait and landscape but it doesn't 'bounce' when tapped in portrait orientation.

Regardless, nothing happens when I click in landscape either.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  My iPhone 14 Pro Max responds much the same as Jeff's 13 Mini, except that I have the full screen button in portrait as soon as the video starts playing, and it works properly.

Apparently the Androids, or at least Jim's as there may be differences between them, doesn't respond the same way to the HTML code.  Steve/FoxFord33 carries an Android and is to be over tomorrow to install all LED lighting in the shop - assuming the bulbs come in today.  If so I'll have him check the video out on his and then report back.

Jim - Please go back to the Shafer Trail video here and see how it performs.  Then try the same video here, and check it out.  In the first one I doubled the fixed height and width figures that Youtube gives, and in the 2nd I just used their figures.

I'm going to guess that you'll like the new way better than either of those ways as the new way is somewhat flexible to the size of your screen and the old ways aren't.  But I don't know that so would like your input.

And maybe there's specific code that an Android needs?