3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
181 messages Options
12345678 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think we are in a hurry.  

And, I thought of a phrase today that seems applicable: "Perfecting sealing wax".  Anyone get it?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I think this was an example of Ford's "close enough" philosophy.
I dug out my spare dash superstructure and an extra dash panel bezel.
Gary, your slot (measurements) are only 1/8" off.

What I did is attached the instrument bezel and then used the superstructure factory hole and drilled into the instrument bezel (from the back) and where it landed and your measurements are only 1/8" off. No big deal.

But everything lines up and he switch seems to be ok and looks NOS.
Anyone know what this module is? it was attached by the steering column.
"E5TF-12B516-AA"

Dash switch mount hole, The slot (in red) has nothing to do with this...

Switch installed.

Bezel and Switch

Fog Lamp 3-D bezel

Fog Lamp NOS bezel

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ron - COOL!  But, lots of questions:

How far does the handle of your switch stick out of the fog lamp bezel?

Can one of the square knobs fit on the end of the handle?

How far is it between the beads, meaning from the headlight/wiper switch bead to the fog lamp bead?

As for the E5TF-12B516-AA, I don't know.  The 12B516 is a bracket, as shown below.  But, not an E5TF, nor an AA.  And you probably didn't get that # off of the bracket.  So, I dunno

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Engineering number.
NOT part number.....

So the part is an electrical component originally designed for a pickup in the 1985 model year.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/partnumbers_overview.htm

Does this dash have an "Emiss" light?
Does the box have a hole (under a sticker?) that you could stick a paperclip into, to reset it?
Is it therefore the Extended Useful Life timer?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Aka the Implied Mileage Sensor?

Basically an engine hour meter that seems to put the light on every 70k or so?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  Even Ford doesn't know what to call it, as both terms are in the catalog index with the same number:

But, in the text pages it is a Maintenance Indicator Warning Control Assembly:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So my '87 comes on at 2,000 hours and '86& below come on every 1,000 hours?
The more you know!.....

Basically tells you to check the A.I.R. pumps and the Cat (if you have one)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Or if you are in Cali or Denver
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Sorry, forgot the NOS chrome tab. it measures 1.25" from base of FOG LAMPS face to the top of chrome tab.
I can make it measurement I need. What is the NOS measurement?

The module must be an emissions "timer" it does have a small sticker over a hole. Printed on the sticker... "reset"

Already got a complaint on the other site from, Lariat 85, "You made the new one the same size as the NOS one, the NOS one is bigger that the light/wiper one, I would have made it the same size"..... Just can.t please everyone......
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ron - That looks good!  I don't know what the original arm measurement is, but Jonathan can tell us.

Remind me what switch you have and what you had to do to it to take the knob?

As for Rick's complaint, I agree that it looks "wrong".  But, it is what Ford designed.  However, we could easily fix Ford's mistake.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Ron - That looks good!  I don't know what the original arm measurement is, but Jonathan can tell us.

Remind me what switch you have and what you had to do to it to take the knob?

As for Rick's complaint, I agree that it looks "wrong".  But, it is what Ford designed.  However, we could easily fix Ford's mistake.  
The threaded piece has a stick out of .25" and the toggle blade length is 1.15". The post with pics is in the other bezel thread:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fog-Light-Bezel-Switch-etc-tp5111p5410.html
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the arm length of the original switch is 1.15", then it can't stick out nearly the 1.25" that Ron says his does.  However, I think Jonathan's measurement is w/o the knob, so we still have apples and oranges.

So, maybe Jonathan can measure with the knob on, or Ron with the knob off?

In any event, we are getting close!  

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Lets work on getting one to "print the letters"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh ye of little faith.    My second run using high def acrylate passed both the automated check as well as the manual check.  Yes, the letters were shown as a questionable area in the automated check, but apparently whomever looked it over thought they'd be fine as it has been released to production.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that this version doesn't have the recess on the backside to take the rubber flap, but I don't think that would keep me from using it on Big Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
The distance between bezels is 0.185"
The light bezel height is 2.3175"
The FOG LAMPS bezel is 2.3730"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Distance between my bezels/beads is .308 - .342" depending on if you push it left or right.  So, assuming the mid-point of .325" mine is apparently .140" farther right than yours.  Slightly more than 1/8".

And, my fog lamp bezel measures 2.375" top/bottom, so is .002" taller than yours.  Pretty close.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My #2 printout is on its way!  

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
hopefully it shows soon!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It shows to being in a hand-off from UPS to USPS, and is somewhere between Carrollton, TX and Tulsa.  Delivery is still scheduled for Monday, but I'm thinking Saturday.  We shall see.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I measured the distance between the bezel beads on my XLS bezel and I am at 0.325 inches just like you said. It is hard to see with the rubber in between, but the slot in the switch bezel looks to be perfectly centered over the slot in the instrument bezel. When installed on the dash shell, I have exactly the same alignment problem. The blade of the toggle is way to the left side of the slot. The fitment of the switch in the dash shell is snug. This is very odd... 🤔🤷‍♂️

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
12345678 ... 10