3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
181 messages Options
1234567 ... 10
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ron - Do you have an instrument bezel with the holes in it for the fog light bezel?  I ask because I do - a factory instrument bezel, and the hole in the dash for the switch does not line up with the slot in the instrument and fog lamp bezels - as shown below.

So, if you are using a factory instrument bezel with the holes already cut, I'm afraid the lever on your switch won't come through the holes.  But, if you are going to cut those holes in a bezel, then you could put them where you need them.

Given that, we may need to determine which way people are going to be going, instrument bezel with factory holes or holes with altered positions, before we nail down the switch decision.  Or, have two different switches.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
700W is a lot of light! (14V x 50A)

With LED's it would be like looking at the surface of the sun.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Gary
I do not have an instrument panel bezel with fog light holes.
But it "looks" like the switch may work.....
Got measurements?
I have a few bezels stashed away, could sacrifice one.....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Amen!

Ron - I will get measurements later today when I get out to the shop.  But, I'm pretty sure you won't want to put the holes where the factory did.  Apparently the arm to the original switch is offset to one side, and since your's isn't the same holes probably won't work.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
...the hole in the dash for the switch does not line up with the slot in the instrument and fog lamp bezels - as shown below.
Gary, given that the switch mounts through that hole in the dash shell and the blade of the toggle is exactly in the center...

How does the slot in the 3D printed bezel match up with the mounting hole in the dash shell? i.e., when you mount the fog lamp bezel with the studs onto the instrument bezel would the toggle blade be in the center of the 3D printed slot?

It seems odd to me that the slot in the instrument bezel does not match the mounting hole, but perhaps they did not want it too close to the edge of the fog lamp bezel?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Good question!  I obviously overlooked the pics you've posted about the switch.  

Here's the fog lamp/instrument bezel alignment - basically perfect.  So, I don't know what to say.....

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
So it looks like the Fog Bezel and the Dash Bezel line up with the NOS bezel, so the 3-D bezel will act exactly the same.
BUT both aligned bezels do not line up with the dash superstructure..... interesting.
I'll have to dig out the spare dash superstructure soon and check this out...
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I'm guessing the slot in the dash shell to the left of the hole is there to receive the "lip" side of the switch face to facilitate orientation and to prevent twisting... but I have not fitted it to see if this is in fact true. I am wondering if there is any play in the mounting hole to allow for alignment? I will have to check the thread diameter with the hole diameter. If there is no wiggle room it may be necessary to oval out the hole in the dash shell, but this is puzzling 🤔

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, guys, this is puzzling.  And I hope to get measurments of the factory holes later today, once I get my Bible class and sermon for Sunday done.

But, I can say that with the 1/4" studs there is precious little movement.  We (you) nailed the locations of the studs and the part fits very nicely.  And, it appears to fit over the spot where the original fog lamp bezel set correctly, although that's hard to tell as the darker spot on the instrument bezel is probably from where the rubber piece touched it, and the rubber piece fits inside the recess on the rear of the fog lamp bezel, so is smaller.

So, don't go drill or cut your instrument bezels just yet!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see if this helps on the layout and sizing of the holes.  And you can see my gentle chalk outline of the outside edge of my 1st bezel attempt.

Top Hole: .277" diameter; .480" from the top of the opening; .993" from the bead to the left

Bottom Hole: .272" diameter; .329" from bottom of the opening; 1.148" from the bead

Slot: .495" wide; 1.504" long, .443" from the bead; .435" from bottom of opening

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did some test-fitting of a couple of switches I have, and here are some observations:

These switches have 12mm shanks, which are ~.46", and they are a good fit in the dash.

One switch has a handle that is 1 1/4" from the pivot point to the end of the handle, and it only stuck through the instrument bezel by ~.7".  So, by the time the fog lamp bezel is installed it would only stick through 1/2", and that's not enough to look good, although you might be able to use it.

It looks to me that the fog lamp bezel needs to go ~5/16" to the left from where mine is if we want the slots in the bezels to center over the handle.  So, maybe my bezel isn't a factory one?  I really though it is, but.....

Also, I measured how much clearance there is between the studs we have on the back of fog lamp bezel and the dash: ~.06".  We got lucky.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think using Reamer's measurements you are good.
If you move the whole bezel to the left the silver beads (borders?) are going to be crowded.

Bad kerning without letters....

Maybe you are better off to compromise and move the slot a little, and the studs a little?????
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I'm lost on what you mean about Ron's measurements.  

But, I do understand what you are saying about the beads/borders being close.  Hmmmm.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I am going to have to measure at least the position of the slot in the XLS fog light bezel to see how it compares to yours. I can't measure the post holes for obvious reasons but I am curious if mine has the slot in the same spot. It would also be good to fit it to a dash shell and see how it aligns or doesn't align...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Do you need me to measure the slot from the back of mine?  There might be some places that are easy to measure from that would help.  Or, actually, you measure yours and tell me how/where you measured and I'll duplicate it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I mean HIS is definitely OEM.
And his numbers fit with yours.

So, it's not likely that your bezel is "aftermarket" or in any way 'wrong'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh!  I don't think Ron has an instrument bezel that has the holes for a fog light bezel.  But, he does have a NOS fog light bezel.

On the other hand, Jonathan has a factory instrument bezel with a factory fog light bezel attached.  However, that fog light bezel doesn't want to come off, so he will have to measure it in situ.  But, if he measures the distance between the headlight/wiper bead and the fog lamp bezel we will know pretty quickly if it is the same as mine.

Me?  I just have an instrument bezel that I think was drilled/cut at the factory, and a 3D-printed fog light bezel.

Confused?  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess I am confusing the instrument bezel with the fog lamp overlay bezel.  

Sorry      
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No problem.  But, with the bits and pieces we have we should be able to figure this out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
It's a little hard for me to get the pics and measurements since I don't have everything all in one place... but have some patience. I will get it done.

1234567 ... 10