classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
245 messages Options
1 ... 10111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1985F20 SuperCab "REDRUM"

CRittaler
I know it's been a long time since I last posted.

The cable ended up snapping right at the transfercase so I replaced the lower cable.

It's still bouncing like crazy so I have an upper cable on order.

I didn't drive it much between my last post and now, so I had to do some mold remediation from it sitting.  Now I run an AC dehumidifier in the truck when it sits so that I can hopefully pull out all the excess moisture.

All in all the truck is running well.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I replaced the upper cable as well, speedometer is still bouncing.  I need to crawl under the truck and try to drive the cable with a drill or something.  I'll check the gears when I do as well.  From what I can remember the gear on the cable is pink or a very faded red.  I have no idea what the gear in the transfercase is, I still need to try and look.

I also had the start, run for a bit then die problem resurface.

I ended up jumpering the oil pressure switch and the problem seems to have gone away, but I've only started it twice since doing that.  I haven't been able to find a direct replacement switch so I'm likely going to install a universal one.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think Bill has said that one from a Chrysler K car is functionally identical. (Omni/Horizon, Reliant, etc..)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Right, Jim.  I ordered this Standard Motor Products PS-64 Oil Pressure Switch from Amazon and it worked fine.

On the speedo, I put a new cable in and still had bouncing.  I lubed the new cable with varying things, to no avail.  I finally lubed it with Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease, the red stuff, and it took most of the bounce out.  That was probably 10K miles ago and it is still working fine, cold or hot.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
try to be certain of the routing and avoid unnecessarily tight bends. also be sure the connector at the gauge itself is clicked on well and as straight as possible. any kink at all will cause speedo bounce. you might also want to grease the brass bearing of the gauge itself. these are not greased and are often very loose feeling when unhooked yet get a drag when connected. if the cable pulls to the side at all causing the cable (a four-foot spring) to "catch and release".
1 ... 10111213