classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
245 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1985F20 SuperCab "REDRUM"

FuzzFace2
Ok I got it where you are plugging your harness now.
Where you are plugging in your harness I cut that flat 4 off and wired it directly into the 7 pin.
This way I have 1 less connection that could go bad.
I have adapter 7 pin to flat 4 like this
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wiring/Pollak/PK12716.html
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by CRittaler
I've been puttering along on the truck again.  Got another tattoo so I had to let it heal and I decided to build a work bench for my shop which slowed me down as well.

Picture of said workbench

I've fixed a ton of wiring under the truck, specifically the fuel pump/sending unit harness.  There were marks from scotchlocks that were no longer present and a large portion of it had been unwrapped.

I didn't take any photos of the wiring fixes.

I also finished installing the 7 pin trailer connector.  I ended up cutting and soldering instead of using the adaptor that was there.

But for stuff that I did take pictures for, I dropped the front tank to replace the sending unit.

The gauge read empty, knocking on it sounded empty.  It was not empty.  I was able to pump out 8.5 gallons.

It looks like the PO swapped to newer tanks.  The inner hose looked smooth and rubbery.  I'm sure that I'm going to struggle getting the hose back on the tank so if anyone has any tips that would be great.  I don't have enough ceiling height to lift the bed, and it's full of junk for a trip to the dump.

I tested the sender outside the tank and it read full to empty no problem which leads me to believe the float was leaking.

The old float is plastic and the one on the new sender is brass.

I swapped the in tank pump over to the new sender, tested it with the gauge and installed it in the tank.

I will note that I'm not using the in tank pumps, but I needed it to be able to reach the fuel.  I'm using the frame mounted pump installed by the PO.

Now I'm waiting on my 5/16 fuel hose and clamps to arrive so that I can remove all the hacked up nylon lines that were "clamped" with zip ties.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's probably much easier to detach the fill hose from the filler neck (and fight it inside the bedside) than to fight the hose onto the tank while the tank is all the way up in place.
Do leave it shug but not tight in case the hose needs to rotate for alignment.
I tightened the hose at the tank once I got it up onto the filler neck.

At least that is what I did earlier this year when my side tank started weeping.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
That's probably what I'll do.

The filter neck is loose right now anyways.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
So, what are people doing to extend/replace the inner fuel hose on the late design tanks?

I swear every time I try and work on this truck I'm thwarted by ghosts of POs past!

I fished the filter neck and house out from under the truck and had a look at them.  It seems that when the PO swapped tanks they elected to cut the inner hose.  I even checked my spare tank and it's cut in the same spot.

My thoughts are to cut the inner hose and spice in a copper or brass fitting and the use some fuel submersible hose for the lower section.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what size the inner hose is? I couldn't find my calipers. It looks like 3/4" ID, but I could be wrong.

I'll fix the photos when I'm at a PC next.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Chris, I'm not sure why the PO would have cut the breather hose off. (My '87 fills down the center and vents up the outside)

Perhaps they couldn't get it seated at both ends and finally gave up?
If you have two cut off hoses maybe you can use a piece of the other one to extend it to the stop in the tank neck?

Remember that tubing is measured OD but pipe is measured ID.
So tubing will be true to size but a piece of plumbing pipe will be larger, and a copper coupling will be larger still.
(at least this gives you some options)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I don't know why they would have cut it either, but the end looks like it was cut with a razor blade. When the outer hose is fully seated on the filter neck, the inner hose is at least a couple inches short and is sitting up inside the outer hose and I don't see a way to seat it on the inner tube of the tank. I would have expected the inner hose to at least be flush with the outer for there to be a chance of seating it. Unless it's actually that hard.

I tried to remove the inner from the filler neck, but it was stuck on there and I didn't want to make things worse.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To answer the question about what people are using for hoses on the later tanks, I'm using new hoses I got off Amazon designed for the later tanks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
You wouldn't happen to have part numbers would you?  Just in case I have to replace the unit.  I'm going to try extending the inner hose first using some pipe/tubing as a splice, just have to find the right size and some decent clamps.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here are the parts I used:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Thanks Gary!

did you replace the front one as well?  I think that filler neck is for the rear, though I am expecting that I will need to replace that one as well.

I'm going to attempt to splice the inner hose and see if that will work well enough.  If it doesn't, then at least I know how to drop the tanks to make the repair.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I replaced both tanks, fuel delivery modules, and one filler neck.  Turns out someone had replaced one filler neck with the later style, which does NOT interface well with a Bullnose tank, and that explains why it took sooooo long to fill the tank.  So I didn't have to replace it.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On the early tank set up when I added the rear tank to my 81 flare side the inner hose (plastic) I used copper tubing to join the 2 parts together.

I dont see why you could not do the same thing.
Take the hose with you to the hardware store and start test fitting till you find something.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I picked up some 3/4" brass fittings that are 4" long. Going to give it a try as soon as I can get back out to the truck.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I ended up using the 4" 3/4" brass coupler to extend the lower portion of the inner hose.  I had to heat the hose with my hot air rework station to get it pliable enough to slip over the brass.  I used a hose clamp on the end near the filler neck as that end was a bit loose.

I was able to wrestle the filler neck/tube assembly back onto the tank and get it reinstalled on the truck.  Not the worst job in the world, but getting the filler neck to feed between the bed and the frame rail was interesting.

I also replaced the hacked up nylon fuel lines with regular fuel hose.  I have to slip some larger heater hose over them in a couple spots for abrasion purposes, but all in all I'm happy.

The main downside is that when I put the gas I'd drained (~7 gallons) back into the take it only came up to E.  I'm going to make sure the connection is clean.  I compared the range of motion of the floats and measured the new one compared to the old one and both appeared the same so I'm not sure what happened.

It's annoying, but not enough to make me want to drop the tank again.

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two steps forward and one backward is still progress.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
and.... Progress is good!   
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
and.... Progress is good!   
(I set you up.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Indeed you did!  

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by CRittaler
Managed to get the rear tank out.  I had to use my transmission jack since my floor jack couldn't reach.

PO used the old style fill neck, but I looked at the tank and it doesn't have any kind of clip or tube for either style. They used some genetic fuel hose with a coil embedded in it.

In regards to the tank, is it supposed to have some kind of tube holder for the inner hose like the front tank?

You can see the PO also hacked up the fuel lines and the pump power.

I will fix the pictures when I get to my pc in the morning.
Chris

1 ... 3456789 ... 13