1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1042 messages Options
1234567 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan
FuzzFace2 wrote
OUCH!
As long as the front bumper is left in place it acts as a cross member you can run with out the one you bent up.

Now if you have access to a press or maybe the weight of the truck? you can bend it back into shape.
If using the truck with the member off place wood blocks on the ends on the bottom and use a bottle jack placed where you bent it up and start jacking and see what happens.

In a press you would do the same thing just that you would be standing when jacking and I would think if the truck is not heavy enough it will start to lift before the bend is out, not so with a press.

On the fuel system:
As for tank size that looks to be a side tank or mid ship tank and a easy way to know the size it how long the bed is.
Short bed trucks / flare side have a 16 gallon tank.
Long bed trucks have a 19 gallon tank.
And yes the sending units are different for the 2 different tank sizes so check before odering sender you have the right one. I think some places list the same part number for the senders and this is wrong.

I am with Gary on get a new tank & sender as you will never get any rust that may be in it out.
Besides that filter you see between the pump & carb you may also have a filter that screws into the carb.

I had to open my carb up and found rust in the bowl. This was a little over a year after getting the truck on the road.
Tanks looked good before I installed them back in the truck with new senders as part of the 4 year rebuild so was a little shocked on the rust.

Anyway my truck had 2 filters, one like you pictured and a screw in one. When the carb was apart I backed flushed both and the first (like yours) was pretty bad with crud.
I had to take the carb apart a 2nd time and the rust was not too bad but I replaced the first metal filter (like yours) with a plastic see through  and ran 2 rear tanks through it and I dont see any rust.
I just started to run on the front tank and will run 2 tanks to see what one if either gives me rust and go from there on a fix.

If you want to run the motor and move the truck under its own power while you get the fuel system fixed get some 5/ 16 hose, you need some to replace it on the system anyway, to go from the pump inlet to a small gas can you can place on the inner fender and run the motor from it.
I did this for years as I did not know how long it would be before my truck was on the road and did not want gas in the tank(s) going bad from sitting.
You can see the gas can on the inner fender.

Dave ----
Thank you for all the tips and information. The Spectra Premium / Fuel Tank Sending Unit Part Number: FG74A said in the notes it is for a 19 gallon tank.  Great tip on the temp setup.  Autozone said they can deliver everything to me today so I should be all set hopefully.

1981 Ford F100 6 Cylinder 4.9 Litre 1 Barrel
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jonathan
Sorry, I'm not sure as it seems to have changed over the years.  I used 3/16" line on Big Blue from the tee where the two metal lines come together on the frame under the bed on the right side.  However the line on the vent/rollover valve looks to be bigger.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By the way, are you responding via email?  It looks like you are as it is always copying in the previous post.  There are ways around that, but the best is to click the link below the text that says "If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:" as that will log you onto the forum and you can post there w/o the extra stuff.

It is your call, but it sure adds a lot of unnecessary stuff to the thread.  Just log on and see what I mean.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Sorry, I'm not sure as it seems to have changed over the years.  I used 3/16" line on Big Blue from the tee where the two metal lines come together on the frame under the bed on the right side.  However the line on the vent/rollover valve looks to be bigger.
Thanks, I will just run back to the store and match it up.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
Gary Lewis wrote
By the way, are you responding via email?  It looks like you are as it is always copying in the previous post.  There are ways around that, but the best is to click the link below the text that says "If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:" as that will log you onto the forum and you can post there w/o the extra stuff.

It is your call, but it sure adds a lot of unnecessary stuff to the thread.  Just log on and see what I mean.
I have been hitting the quote button on purpose.  I thought it helps to have a reference as to what you are replying to.  
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's fine.  No prob.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I also want to say 3/16 on the vent hose / roll over valve but it has been a few years since I did my fuel lines & vent.
I think I used 3/16 gas hose at the valves, I have dual tanks, and might have used vacuum hose at the "Y" where they meet up under the bed / cab corner.

when you replace the tank it will be a lot easier if you can remove or lift the bed up to sneak the filler hose / vent assy. out & back in.
On the filler you only see the outer hose there is a plastic inner hose that fits into holders at the tank & up top at the filler opening. If this plastic hose is not in place it will take for ever to fill the tank at the pump.
Here you can see the plastic hose in the holder at the filler opening. The tank has the same holder.

Your plastic hose will be all 1 piece this is what I had to do to add a rear tank to my flare side as they never came with a rear or dual tanks.
2 filler doors on my flare side, 16 gallon front / 19 gallon rear using all factory parts to look the part inside & out.

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
Autozone delivered the fuel tank but it is damaged.  It is so smashed in I worry it will leak.  They have one left local and will deliver it later and exchange it out.  They also forgot the fuel filter I ordered and will bring that by too.  I noticed some kind of isolator on the strap.  I looked around and found something that may work in my garage.  Online there are other things made out of rubber.  Will foam work okay?

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  At least they have another one and will deliver it, and the filter.

And yes, that foam should work nicely.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
I also want to say 3/16 on the vent hose / roll over valve but it has been a few years since I did my fuel lines & vent.
I think I used 3/16 gas hose at the valves, I have dual tanks, and might have used vacuum hose at the "Y" where they meet up under the bed / cab corner.

when you replace the tank it will be a lot easier if you can remove or lift the bed up to sneak the filler hose / vent assy. out & back in.
On the filler you only see the outer hose there is a plastic inner hose that fits into holders at the tank & up top at the filler opening. If this plastic hose is not in place it will take for ever to fill the tank at the pump.
Here you can see the plastic hose in the holder at the filler opening. The tank has the same holder.

Your plastic hose will be all 1 piece this is what I had to do to add a rear tank to my flare side as they never came with a rear or dual tanks.
2 filler doors on my flare side, 16 gallon front / 19 gallon rear using all factory parts to look the part inside & out.

Dave ----
Thanks for the heads up.  Hopefully everything can be done from the bottom and will slide out.  I did notice that extra space for the hose going in the tank.  This looks fun.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
Gary Lewis wrote
Bummer!  At least they have another one and will deliver it, and the filter.

And yes, that foam should work nicely.
That long tank can hardly fit in my car.  I am glad they deliver to me.  Hopefully the replacement is less beat up.  I noticed the fuel tank in the truck has similar dog ears from shipping damage.  I think the tank is not the original.  Also the filler neck does not look factory due to the type of clamp.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dog ears are factory, but that tank looks like it was dropped off a truck!

Camper tape... The gasket you would put on your bed rails before fitting a topper should work fine.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Some tanks from the factory I have seen the corners bent.
It could be so they did not hurt who ever was installing it or easier to install?

On the foam I did not want to use anything that could hold water like a sponge.
Having it between the tank & strap it may never dry out and rust the tank where it is.
The factory stuff was more like thick tar paper. The tar would not hold water.

I found a roll of fake outside grass rug cheap, plastic so will not hold water, and is what I used.
Think others have used a bike inner tube cut and glued to the straps.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Dog ears are factory, but that tank looks like it was dropped off a truck!

Camper tape... The gasket you would put on your bed rails before fitting a topper should work fine.  
I looked for the camper tape when I was at Northern Tool yesterday.  They didn't have any.  
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
Some tanks from the factory I have seen the corners bent.
It could be so they did not hurt who ever was installing it or easier to install?

On the foam I did not want to use anything that could hold water like a sponge.
Having it between the tank & strap it may never dry out and rust the tank where it is.
The factory stuff was more like thick tar paper. The tar would not hold water.

I found a roll of fake outside grass rug cheap, plastic so will not hold water, and is what I used.
Think others have used a bike inner tube cut and glued to the straps.
Dave ----
I looked back in my order history for the foam tape I got.  It claims it is of a waterproof material.  I got it originally to replace the factory wrap around a headlight.  It has held up well over the years.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
The second fuel tank delivery yesterday looked like a punching bag.  One corner had scrapes like it landed on cement. Autozone clamed they are the one that opened the box to inspect it for me but the locking ring bag was open on this one.  So it looked like it was taken out for show a few times and dropped.  So they are requesting one from the DC warehouse. Hopefully the third time will be better. Putting new dented stuff on my truck just bothers me for some reason. If just the corners are bent with no cement scrapes on it I can handle it.  I just don't want it to have dents over the whole thing.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think you are fine with whatever black roll you have.

It's a shame the company doesn't care more about a product that could kill people.  ðŸ™„

I got my tanks through eBay sellers and they were perfect. (I have the later large bung tanks)

Good luck! Third time's a charm.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's a shame.  Hopefully the next one will be good.

Good idea to hang in there and get a good one.  No need to rush as you may regret it later.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
WOW a 19 gallon tank dented to 16 gallons
Yes best to hold out for a good one.
I am guessing you have other things you can do to the truck while waiting for the tank?
As I posted a small can on the fender to run the motor works great, did it for years that way till the truck was ready for a test drive.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think you are fine with whatever black roll you have.

It's a shame the company doesn't care more about a product that could kill people.  ðŸ™„

I got my tanks through eBay sellers and they were perfect. (I have the later large bung tanks)

Good luck! Third time's a charm.
I asked LMC today and they say their tanks are packed well.  If another is beat up I could order from them but they are out of stock right now.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
1234567 ... 53