1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1042 messages Options
12345 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

rcarlisle
Look at fuses first for turn signals.  Seems like I saw that recently either here or FB.  

If it's the switch harness on column, get the SWB harness or equivalent not the Dorman junk part.  Easy enough to change our.  Does your lever still work properly?  Mine was so loose it wouldn't even hold for a left turn signal.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by Jonathan
Yesterday I did a compression test. Results are not good. I am hoping that the rings are stuck after sitting for so many years. Maybe things will look better after it can run and warm up to.  So this test is dead cold engine sitting for 12 years. Cylinder three was the worse, it was only around 80 psi.  After I put oil in the cylinder it would go over 200 psi. After the oil washed away it settled at around 100 psi constantly.  

Cyl 1
Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 5

Cylinder 6
1981 Ford F100 6 Cylinder 4.9 Litre 1 Barrel
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
rcarlisle wrote
Look at fuses first for turn signals.  Seems like I saw that recently either here or FB.  

If it's the switch harness on column, get the SWB harness or equivalent not the Dorman junk part.  Easy enough to change our.  Does your lever still work properly?  Mine was so loose it wouldn't even hold for a left turn signal.
Left will work if I play with the lever a little.  Right will light on the dash but I hear no relay clicking.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Honestly, I'd take that.  It's something.   And yeah it might get better.  Might not.   Put it all together, bottle feed it some fuel or starting fluid, see if it will fire.  Bring the thunder!  LOL
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Check lights if right will light on dash but nothing more.  That's usually a sign of a filament out in the signal part of bulb.  When correct, the lever should operate pretty firmly.  No mushy or wiggly.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
So now this thread is all caught up from where I started until yesterday.  So here is where I need help. I tested for spark after compression testing yesterday and I got a spark from the one cylinder I tested.  I didn't test the rest but it is a good start for now.  My bigger worry is no fuel.  I disconnected the fuel line going to the carb and it is dry.  Nothing is coming out when I turn over the engine.  It looks like it uses a mechanical fuel pump.  I added fuel to the tank but the truck is on a slight incline because of my driveway.  The fuel gauge is reading some fuel if it is correct.  Where is the best place to start to address this issue?  If I do try the fuel pump first which one pictured is best?  They are the same price.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Honestly, I'd take that.  It's something.   And yeah it might get better.  Might not.   Put it all together, bottle feed it some fuel or starting fluid, see if it will fire.  Bring the thunder!  LOL
You are getting me excited with the VGG quotes! I do have a IV bottle for motorcycles I can use.  But I need a larger fuel line or adapter to feed the carb.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Check lights if right will light on dash but nothing more.  That's usually a sign of a filament out in the signal part of bulb.  When correct, the lever should operate pretty firmly.  No mushy or wiggly.
The lever feels really crappy. But I think the bulb should be fine since the hazard lights work. Is it easy to take apart to clean the contacts?
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Jonathan wrote
You are getting me excited with the VGG quotes! I do have a IV bottle for motorcycles I can use.  But I need a larger fuel line or adapter to feed the carb.

Just pour a little down the carb throat to see if it will fire off of that.  Do you have the Lone Wolf 600 remote starter button?  Man, I've watched them ALL.   Some multiple times.  LOL  OR a helper to crank while you feed it or spray starter fluid.  not  a boig fan of starter fluid, but in small doses, it can help get things working.

If you have spark on one, you should [in theory] have spark on all.  IF the lines are clear and all, it may take a few moments to get pump to pumping.   If you can get a hose off from pump and thumb over it, you should feel it pulsing air maybe.  Or carefully pour fuel in line to see if it will pump back out?   Just going over ideas in my mind to get it to speak to you.  

I would choose the Delphi pump, btw, if it were me.  Gotta get fuel to carb to see how it works.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
Last night before I put the spark plugs back in to prevent things from getting inside I soaked each cylinder with SeaFoam.  I will turn over the engine after work today to get it out and try the compression test again. I am hoping if the rings are stuck it might help a little.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Back to signal lights... you will have to pull the wheel to get to the contact thing.  NAPA has the cheapest puller I found.  Like $13.  

Original
original

Replacement
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Jonathan wrote
Just pour a little down the carb throat to see if it will fire off of that.  Do you have the Lone Wolf 600 remote starter button?  Man, I've watched them ALL.   Some multiple times.  LOL  OR a helper to crank while you feed it or spray starter fluid.  not  a boig fan of starter fluid, but in small doses, it can help get things working.

If you have spark on one, you should [in theory] have spark on all.  IF the lines are clear and all, it may take a few moments to get pump to pumping.   If you can get a hose off from pump and thumb over it, you should feel it pulsing air maybe.  Or carefully pour fuel in line to see if it will pump back out?   Just going over ideas in my mind to get it to speak to you.  

I would choose the Delphi pump, btw, if it were me.  Gotta get fuel to carb to see how it works.

I have a remote starter button I hooked up to the starter solenoid. I connected one end to the positive terminal on the battery and the other to the trigger signal on the solenoid that normally comes from the key switch. I used it when doing the compression testing.  I also used my blower to put weight on the accelerator pedal so the throttle was open for compression testing.

I put my thumb over the line going to the carb and didn't feel anything.  I will try at the pump itself next and your other tips.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Back to engine...  how thin was the seafoam?   I use their gas stabilizer.   If the Seafoam spray is too thin, you may want to try a few drops of motor oil in there.   Gas and thin fluids might leak past rings, where the oil should help seal.   Yes it will smoke on startup, but that should go away if everything else is in order.

This whole work thing is really impeding progress.   I got projects I'm ready to get to as well.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Back to signal lights... you will have to pull the wheel to get to the contact thing.  NAPA has the cheapest puller I found.  Like $13.  

Original
original

Replacement
I have a puller already.  One of those things I got because I might use it some day. LOL  I will tackle this after I get it running.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Back to engine...  how thin was the seafoam?   I use their gas stabilizer.   If the Seafoam spray is too thin, you may want to try a few drops of motor oil in there.   Gas and thin fluids might leak past rings, where the oil should help seal.   Yes it will smoke on startup, but that should go away if everything else is in order.

This whole work thing is really impeding progress.   I got projects I'm ready to get to as well.  
I soaked it in transmission fluid one night before already.  I am trying the Seafoam to help clean a little.  It was thin so I emptied all I had in it to flush it out better.  I also did oil in cylinder three after the low compression test.  I think it is on the previous page. It improved the compression so I think it is the rings worn or stuck.  Thanks for all your time this morning.  I appreciate the assistance.  You can get to your project. I really need to get back to work. LOL
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'm at work too, but we're slow right now...  I need to be at home... truck is calling.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's a Roman thing!

M, C, V , L etc...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It's a Roman thing!

M, C, V , L etc...
I feel so stupid, I should of remembered that. 😂
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not stupid, you just need to get with the MMXXI century!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Not stupid, you just need to get with the MMXXI century!
Do you know what LD means in my own signature?  I copied it from my truck specs.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
12345 ... 53