1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1042 messages Options
1234 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan
I found my truck on Craigslist.  I was waiting for a good deal for a while.  I grew tired of borrowing a truck from a friend or renting from Home Depot when it was needed.  The truck was sunk into the ground with vines growing on the front right wheel.  All the tires were flat but after adding air it started to raise from its grave.  The rear tire on the drinkers side had a big hole in it.  After digging out the years of deposited storage in the bed a spare tire was found.  I jacked up the rear end and changed the tire.  The wheel was rusted on but it finally came off with a little help from a big hammer the owner had.  The owner helped arrange the neighbor to tow my truck home and the tires held air long enough to roll it onto the flatbed.  Now it is home the fun begins!

This is where it was parked for 12 years.

Vines growing all over the tire.

Took a little air to get it to raise up.

This tire had a hole in it.

Ready to roll!

Lets go home!

Made it home.

1981 Ford F100 6 Cylinder 4.9 Litre 1 Barrel
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1981 Ford F100 Revival (Parked for 12 years)

Jonathan

Now it is home the rear tires are holding air okay but the front tires I need to fill daily.

My dog does not like the air compressor sound.

Both of the door cards needs to be replaced.

It smells worse then it looks back here.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement bubble windows for a Gentry top?

Both cab corners are rusted.

Drinkers side front fender is rusted. It was used for nut storage.

Interesting that the battery was dated 09'. The same year it was parked.  But it is shot. Would not hold a charge.

The only thing holding up the dead battery is imagination and the plastic fender well.

Inside view of the truck.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, you have a lot of work to do.  But it sounds like you have the gumption to get it done.

Speaking of sounds (), maybe your dog would appreciate you getting new tires?  The sound that compressor makes must be annoying.

What engine does it have?  Transmission?  Power brakes?  I ask the latter because some of the F100's came with 5 x 4 1/2" lug bolt spacing, which is the same as many of the cars had.  And, if I remember correctly the ones with power brakes and a GVWR of 4600 to 4700 lbs were the ones that have the smaller bolt pattern.

Anyway, you are going to have fun!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by Jonathan

The brain box is leaking.

Some rust holes under the hood.

The frame is solid with mostly surface rust.

Fuel tank looks okay from the outside. (But I am not getting any fuel at the carb yet.)

Just a few little goodies behind the seat, rusted tools and such.
Just a few little goodies behind the seat, rusted tools and such.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
You apparently boght your truck for same reasons as we did.   Tired of arranging to borrow a truck.   I have keys to my dad's truck he doesn't use, but it is always somewhere else.  Hope you can get this one going pretty quick.

I have some parts that might help you get started.  They are kinda crappy, BUT I have a passenger taillight lens that is complete, but not real pretty.  I will have an Explorer hood ornament that isn't pretty but would be in place.  

Feel free to contact me as you go if you need/want either of those to help you get started.  No charge, just pay shipping.   I will also have a new driver's taillight lens that has a small crack (you can't see it) in the reflector part on side.   and a chipped corner.    The vendor is supposed to be sending me a replacement.  

If you are interested, just hit me up.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Well, you have a lot of work to do.  But it sounds like you have the gumption to get it done.

Speaking of sounds (), maybe your dog would appreciate you getting new tires?  The sound that compressor makes must be annoying.

What engine does it have?  Transmission?  Power brakes?  I ask the latter because some of the F100's came with 5 x 4 1/2" lug bolt spacing, which is the same as many of the cars had.  And, if I remember correctly the ones with power brakes and a GVWR of 4600 to 4700 lbs were the ones that have the smaller bolt pattern.

Anyway, you are going to have fun!  
Thanks for the feedback Gary.  I will attach a picture of the tag on the transmission and a picture of the wheel.  Not sure if it will shed some light or not.  But it is an automatic 6 cylinder with power brakes I think.  I am not sure what I will do for tires yet. I am missing a poverty cap but maybe I can find one to make it complete. I can measure the wheel spacing later to confirm.

Tag on the automatic transmission.

Wheel with no hubcap.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
rcarlisle wrote
You apparently boght your truck for same reasons as we did.   Tired of arranging to borrow a truck.   I have keys to my dad's truck he doesn't use, but it is always somewhere else.  Hope you can get this one going pretty quick.

I have some parts that might help you get started.  They are kinda crappy, BUT I have a passenger taillight lens that is complete, but not real pretty.  I will have an Explorer hood ornament that isn't pretty but would be in place.  

Feel free to contact me as you go if you need/want either of those to help you get started.  No charge, just pay shipping.   I will also have a new driver's taillight lens that has a small crack (you can't see it) in the reflector part on side.   and a chipped corner.    The vendor is supposed to be sending me a replacement.  

If you are interested, just hit me up.
Hi Randy, I am in NC too. I hope I can get it running soon.  Making a little progress every day.  The taillight I just got yesterday from RockAuto.  But thanks for your offer. The Explorer hood ornament I would love and will contact you about.

Just came yesterday.

Got both sides to be legal.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The best way to find out what you have is to decode the certification label that should be on the driver's door jamb.  Go to Documenation/Specifications/Certification Label in the menu.

I'm not finding exactly that number from the transmission in the master parts catalog, but I think it is a C6.  But you can tell that from the certification label as well.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I came here from your welcome post asking what you think your truck needs.

A battery (plus hold down, perhaps a ground cable and a new ignition module) should be a good start.
If the fuel system has been sitting for a dozen years you may as well drain the tank and rebuild the carburetor, before cycling any more sludge and rust through the system.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Cool.   Where in NC?  I replied to your email before I saw this.  

You won't have to have ANY inspection at all in NC since it is over 35 years old.   But I agreee it is best to have nice taillight lenses so folks see your lights.   That busted one in photos was definitely a no go.

Make sure brake lights work properly when you get on road.   My switch went bad other week and it had been replaced recently... they are cheap and easy.

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
You can look here to get a little more information on the truck from your VIN.  http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vin-decoding.html
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
Gary Lewis wrote
The best way to find out what you have is to decode the certification label that should be on the driver's door jamb.  Go to Documenation/Specifications/Certification Label in the menu.

I'm not finding exactly that number from the transmission in the master parts catalog, but I think it is a C6.  But you can tell that from the certification label as well.
Thanks for letting me know where to look Gary.  Here is what I found.

1FT = Ford Truck Complete Vehicle
C = Class C 4,001 - 5,000 pounds
F10 = F100 2wd
E = Fuel G Cylinder 6 C.I.D. 300 4.9 Litre 1 barrel LD
B = 1981
N = Norfolk
3B = Midnight Blue Metallic
3H = Medium Blue Metallic
F101 = 81 Pickup 4700 GWP F100 2WD
DB4 = Blue all vinyl Regular Cap w/styleside pickup box 99 Behind Cab Parts
K = 3 Speed C6 Automatic
01= Ratio 2.75 Capacity 2.8M (What does 2.8M mean?)
21 = DSO Atlanta

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome.

2.8M means the axle has a 2800 pound rating.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
M= thousand, so I'd expect the RAWR is 2,800#

You can confirm this by looking at the tire & axle info at the top of the tag.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I came here from your welcome post asking what you think your truck needs.

A battery (plus hold down, perhaps a ground cable and a new ignition module) should be a good start.
If the fuel system has been sitting for a dozen years you may as well drain the tank and rebuild the carburetor, before cycling any more sludge and rust through the system.
Thanks Jim, I appreciate you checking out my post and assistance.

The battery tray I ordered but couldn't find the hold down bracket with the two bolts.  I also replaced the ground cable and positive cable.  I think the ignition module may be okay as I was getting spark during my test yesterday. The tank sounded hollow so I added some fuel.  I disconnected the fuel line going to the carb and no fuel is coming out.  I just got the carb rebuild kit from Mike's carb parts yesterday.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Cool.   Where in NC?  I replied to your email before I saw this.  

You won't have to have ANY inspection at all in NC since it is over 35 years old.   But I agreee it is best to have nice taillight lenses so folks see your lights.   That busted one in photos was definitely a no go.

Make sure brake lights work properly when you get on road.   My switch went bad other week and it had been replaced recently... they are cheap and easy.
I live in Raleigh.  When I went to the DMV to transfer the title with the owner they gave me my plate right away! I also applied for an antique plate.  I thought the antique plate was the only way to avoid inspection is which is why I got it. Oh well, I guess the plate will look cool. My hazard lights work but my turn signals don't work.  I think the switch maybe corroded. I have not tested the brake light yet.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
You can look here to get a little more information on the truck from your VIN.  http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vin-decoding.html
Thank you, that was insightful. I would love to know what day it was made too.  My tag only says 6/81.
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
Gary Lewis wrote
Welcome.

2.8M means the axle has a 2800 pound rating.
Thank you!
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
M= thousand, so I'd expect the RAWR is 2,800#

You can confirm this by looking at the tire & axle info at the top of the tag.
Interesting, I didn't know M meant a thousand.  Is that only a Ford thing?
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
To make sure the engine would spin free I removed all the spark plugs and filled each cylinder with transmission fluid.  The next day I turned it over.  Oh boy did it make a mess.  I mean transmission fluid on my car, house, in the garage, my motorcycle in the garage, the ground... Just everywhere!  Next time I will put a trash bag over the engine when I do that. Attached is a picture of the red fish smell transmission fluid mist coming from the engine bay.

3 Speed C6 Automatic
1234 ... 53