WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7839 messages Options
1 ... 47484950515253 ... 392
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good haul!  Do you have all the parts needed now?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have had them on for a while, both came off a 1994 truck at Pick-n-Pull in Virginia Beach. I had to cut the lower a little for the oil cooler hoses.

Lower air baffle

Upper air seal
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  A friend with a '93 was over today and I saw the same seals/baffles.  I'll have to do something like that when I EFI Big Blue.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
That's a good haul!  Do you have all the parts needed now?
The hard to find parts I think I do at this point.
Tail lights I should be able to come up with if I don't go with LMC LED ones at $160+ for the pair.

It was the light & fender opening brackets that you can't get that I was after.
Ron should be sending a plate bracket and told the light you can still get so we are looking good.

I hope to get the last of the body work done his weekend if not too hot.
Dave - - - -
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Last week was too cold, and next week may be too hot.  What is our weather coming to?  

Anyway, sounds like you are on a roll.  Keep on truckin'!

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
We had one of our foster pups adopted yesterday and some yard work so a late start on the truck.
Ever since I blead the brakes I have had a leak at the right rear wheel. A week ago I checked the line & bleeder and were tight so I pulled the wheel & drum thinking I would find my new shoes soaked.
Well was happy the shoes were dry but the new wheel cly was leaking from 1 of the cups down the backing plate and out. The wheel cly has been in about a year but only had fluid no more than a month.
I checked my local AZ and they have a power brake cly in stock but do not even list a non-power one so have to dig deeper to see if they are the same or not.

On the tail gate I use a washer between body & hinge as a spacer. It worked but needed a little more and I did not like the 1 washer look so a better spacer needed to be made.
Looking around I came across the fiber glass fuel door cut out. It was a little thicker and easy to work with. I laid the hinge on the sheet and traced the "foot print" so it supported the full hinge base on the body.
Did not get a picture but don't know if you could see them as they are the same foot print as the hinge but the spacing is good now.

Just as I was finishing that up my new rear lic. plate mount from Ron aka Reamer, showed up so had to test fit it on the truck.
Had to drill 2 holes on the bracket to mount to the truck but other than that it fit like a glove!

I then moved on to the rear fuel tank filler neck & hose, front I had done a few weeks ago.
When my brother sent parts to me, part of them was a stock flare side filler door on down to about a foot from the tank and cut the rubber hose and inner plastic vent tube.
The style side part I had where the bend was it hit the floor. I might of made it work but the flare side hose had the bend farther down and would work better.
I can get that hose and the part on the tank all ready together using exh. pipe & clamps. The inner plastic will take a little more work to join the 2 parts but I have a plan just hope its a good one.

Other than replacing that leaking wheel cly I think I have to get on the rest of the body work as I don't have much more little things to like this to do.
I hate body work and why I have been putting it off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I understand not liking body work, but just think what it is going to look like when done!!!!  Time to make it happen!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Took it, Big Blue, in for service - A/C. I want to take it to the Fordification show in Anderson, MO on June 9th, and that could easily be quite warm.  Since Janey is going with me, I want the A/C to be working.  Vernon said it was working just before I acquired the truck, but it hasn't since I got it.

However, I'm going to be pulling everything apart this fall to upgrade to EFI, and that may require a compressor change to go with the serpentine brackets.  And it is always easier to do an engine swap, especially with a BIG engine, to disconnect the A/C.

So I don't want to spend much money getting it working just for the summer.  But it sure would be nice to have it.  I hope to hear tomorrow what it will cost.

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Well, it was a trailering day today. Elsewhere, in Rembrandt's stucco Bronco post I detailed the recovery of an old bullnose from a Saskatchewan farm. Thanks for the heads up Rembrandt!

Since the trailer was hooked up, I decided to move around a few non bullnose projects. I drove a 2003 Ranger for quite a while and gave it to son #2 last summer. Unfortunately, the engine let go on a cold winter day and the plan was to replace it with another low mileage 3.0 I had in my extensive inventory. Took the truck to the farm to make use of the shop. I complained bitterly about the cold weather and snow over the winter months, but now the sun bakes you. Working in the shade has its appeal.

I also decided to delegate one of my projects to a mechanic friend who has a resource that I don't. A lift! I had picked up a clean low mileage Escape last fall that turned out to have a timing chain problem. Great little vehicle, but if you plan to work on it, everything comes out the bottom. Not any sort of fun to do in the driveway, so a lift is mandatory.

Which reminds me of what I love about bullnoses and even Rangers. You can actually work on them!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
Well, it was a trailering day today. Elsewhere, in Rembrandt's stucco Bronco post I detailed the recovery of an old bullnose from a Saskatchewan farm. Thanks for the heads up Rembrandt!
Part of my morning routine while I'm having my coffee and waiting for Mrs. Rembrant and the hound dogs to wake up is to scan Kijiji coast to coast for interesting stuff. I'm thankful to be semi-addicted to junk...lol. I have friends that dream and drool over vehicles they cannot afford. When you're happy with cheap old stuff, one can feel fulfilled very easily...lol.

I'm very happy you dragged that old truck home. I see old trucks and other misc junk in the prairies that I would buy on the spot, but being so far away the transport and/or shipping negates any kind of initial good deal. It's frustrating, but I live with it...lol.

Like this Bullnose for sale below. I'd be on that like white on rice if it wasn't 3500 miles away;(.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1346746567&requestSource=b

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I, too, like a quiet morning.  But I don't need any more projects, so I use the time to catch up here, Facebook, and in world news.

And I agree that working on things you can afford has a huge advantage.  My son (who is a member here, so...) lusts after high-end stuff, most of which costs more for a routine service than our trucks do outright.

As for the working space in the trucks, the 460's make things a bit tight, but even they don't hold a candle to later vehicles.  I remember working on my uncle's Ford Probe, and a lift was necessary as everything came out the bottom as you said.  And to get the serpentine belt on it had to be turned sideways to get between the crank pulley and the frame.  

And now, on the a 1981 300 six with a cam and 4bbl.  It doesn't read like it is running or driving, and if that's true it won't bring $3000, although that's really $2250ish US.  My rules of thumb are that at best you'll get half of what you have in a build, and if it isn't running/driving you'll get half that.  But that's an interesting project.  However, I don't think I'd put a single large carb on an inline engine.  Instead I'd run 2 or 3 carbs.  In any event, that thing has lots of goodies on it.  Hmmmm!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
And now, on the a 1981 300 six with a cam and 4bbl.  It doesn't read like it is running or driving, and if that's true it won't bring $3000, although that's really $2250ish US.  My rules of thumb are that at best you'll get half of what you have in a build, and if it isn't running/driving you'll get half that.  But that's an interesting project.  
The problems with the 300/6 in that truck would be of little interest to me as I would spend exactly as much time on it as it took to hoist it out of there to drop a SBF in...lol.

The fact that it is a Flareside 4x4 that presumably spent the majority of it's life out in the prairies (and should therefore be much less rusty than what we have out here) makes it worth it to me. Two wheel drive Flaresides don't seem to be hard to find, but the 4x4 ones are.

Problem in my case is the distance and the fact that it isn't currently running. It would cost $2000 to ship out here, and that's ONLY if it could be loaded and offloaded under it's own power. Not running is a problem, and adds extra cost.

If it was 100 miles away I'd probably already own it by now. 3500 miles away? No dice.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Rembrant wrote
Two wheel drive Flaresides don't seem to be hard to find, but the 4x4 ones are.
Have you considered just doing a 4x4 swap on one? Is it fun... no. It it difficult... also no. 100% bolt over if you have a donor. I did it to my ‘81. Mine probably wasn’t a special enough truck to be worth it, but a good flareside would definitely be worth the effort.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ford F834 wrote
Have you considered just doing a 4x4 swap on one? Is it fun... no. It it difficult... also no. 100% bolt over if you have a donor. I did it to my ‘81. Mine probably wasn’t a special enough truck to be worth it, but a good flareside would definitely be worth the effort.
Oh yes, I've considered that, and I just bought an almost complete 2nd Flareside box, which could be used on another truck at some point if required. I know where there are two junked Flareside 4x4 trucks that might be OK for running gear donors, so we'll see. I'm just kinda screwin' around with my plans at the moment.

I have an excavator sitting in my yard right now starting some work tomorrow, so that will likely eliminate any immediate plans for another Flareside project...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One swap that I have seen on a lot of 4WD in-lines is the old Ford/Holley 4000, the one with the float bowl over the main body. It is a small carburetor that will damn near run on it's side as all the fuel metering elements are in the center of the bowl and the dual pontoon float is almost circular. We put 2 Stromberg 4A carbs on a 250 cid Chevy years ago. That was the early Buick Nailhead carb and was similar in design to the WCFB except for a power valve instead of metering rods.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Will Carter Four Barrel!?  Cut my teeth on one of those on my '58 348.  

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by Rembrant
900 km to that stepside. Hmmmm.

NoNoNoNo! I don't need any more projects!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's only 580 miles.  No hill for a stepper.  And think of how cheaply it is going to go.  And all the goodies already on it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
900 km to that stepside. Hmmmm.

NoNoNoNo! I don't need any more projects!
I know, but it doesn't hurt to look right?...lol. I recently drove that far to pick up my spare Flareside box (in pieces). A whole vehicle that isn't running though? That's a problem for me.

There is an '80 Flareside 4x4 locally (well, by "local" I mean 500 kms away) that I have had my eye on. The truck isn't for sale, not yet at least, but it is in need of an engine. I have communicated with the owner and let him know that I'd be interested in it, running or not, if he decides to sell it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What did I do to my truck today?  Got its A/C fixed.  They pulled a vacuum on it, found no leaks, so charged it up.  

Now I can take it to the Fordification show in June over in MO.  And, I'll take it next week when I go down to see what my neighbor has in the way of surplus pallet racks.  I'll take the trailer as well, but Big Blue's getting used to it.  

1 ... 47484950515253 ... 392