classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vacuum Controlled Heater Core Valve

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, I'm late to the party.  But you can't do my trick with the later controls - as you found out.  So do as you are suggesting, and what David did, and put it in the recirc line.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Here is the valve I got to use. I haven’t installed it yet. Maybe some day.

I have hearing aids and have found I don’t like the wind noise. So I keep the windows up. But I might put this in my Bronco and get another for the truck.

Edit: clarification
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
I do not know if this will help, but I installed an vacuum controlled cutoff valve in the heater circuit on my son's 1984 F150. A "T" was installed in the vacuum line which feeds the servo controlling the door for allowing fresh air [near the passenger inner fender]. The heater is "on" except when the A/C is placed on "MAX COOL".
Yes on the later years that is the only "quick" way to add the cut off valve.
That is what I had to do but because I had the vacuum hose run inside I added the tee to the white line behind the glove box.

What got me was the truck is a 81 and if it was not for a PO removing the HVAC controls and selling them and with help from members got a later year with duel tank control.
I forgot about this till I went to hook up the vacuum line to the control and found the wrong year
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
Sorry, I'm late to the party.  But you can't do my trick with the later controls - as you found out.  So do as you are suggesting, and what David did, and put it in the recirc line.
Done but not with out its issues LOL

grumpin wrote
Here is the valve I got to use. I haven’t installed it yet. Maybe some day.

I have hearing aids and have found I don’t like the wind noise. So I keep the windows up. But I might put this in my Bronco and get another for the truck.

Edit: clarification
If I remembered what control I had I would have done the valve to full vacuum and used a switch. I will see how this works out and if not I will go that route.

As for the wind noise after driving with windows up for so long in other cars/truck when down it can get to you.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
I have hearing aids and have found I don’t like the wind noise.
I don't have hearing aids, but I do have terrible Tinnitus and the wind noise really bothers me...not only while I'm driving, but for hours afterwards...sometimes the whole rest of the day. It is the only reason I'm going through all the trouble to install AC in my Non-AC truck.

I'm only mentioning it because I understand how annoying it is.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Rembrant wrote
I don't have hearing aids, but I do have terrible Tinnitus and the wind noise really bothers me...not only while I'm driving, but for hours afterwards...sometimes the whole rest of the day. It is the only reason I'm going through all the trouble to install AC in my Non-AC truck.

I'm only mentioning it because I understand how annoying it is.
I have tinnitus pretty bad too. That’s what prompted the visit to ear Doctor. The hearing aids help with the ringing.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Up date:
I had to work yesterday, first and only day this week and did 2 loads of LP.
When I left for work at 2ap it was cool so had the heat on going to work but did turn the control to MAX AC for a little and the air started off hot as the heater core was hot but it did cool off.

I also had it on MAX AC for the ride home and the air stayed cool the whole way home.
It would have been nice to have the core bypassed in vent but for now this works and I know come summer and have AC it will be on MAX AC most of the time.

Thanks for the help to make this happen.

Now to look into why the oil is still leaking from this motor
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it worked, Dave.  

As for the oil, if you let it all run out it won't leak any more.  

Seriously though, how 'bout using the additive and a black light?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Glad it worked, Dave.  

As for the oil, if you let it all run out it won't leak any more.  

Seriously though, how 'bout using the additive and a black light?
I think it is bad enough to not need to use the dye and light for 1 of them.
It looks to be coming from the lifter cover at the back.
I took up on the bolts and hoped it would stop but I checked it after the drive home from work and seen it is still leaking. I installed a new gasket along with the valve & oil pan, so maybe the cover is bent?

I also seen the front cross member has oil and some dirt on it so need to look closer at that.
If it is the front seal I think I seen the cover has to come off as it comes in from the back side I think?

I think the oil from the bell housing is from the lifter cover being blown back as it is above it back there.
But when I do the trans swap I can look closer at the rear main but that looked good when I did the other gaskets so did not touch it or front seal.

Projects are never done
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, projects are never really done.  Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Great thread. Got my valve in the other day so looking forward to hooking this up. I will be doing the max ac version for now which means I need to install the ac components soon...
I think the main reason my daughter likes the truck is because we drive with the windows down but today even she asked why hot air was coming out of the vents

Valve I am using:

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Neat valve! The one I’m using on the Bronco is a bypass, so four ports. I would like to see and know what you think when it’s installed.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I think she'll be pleased.  It makes a big difference.

That valve is a Motorcraft YG-136 and Ford PN D4AZ 18495-A, right?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That's correct Gary - sorry I should have given a better photo of it.
I would really like to have it functional in vent but will save that conversion for a later date.
Dane - I read about your valve in this thread last night and I really like that idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it in the bronco as well.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Here’s the Bronco setup.

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
grumpin wrote
Neat valve! The one I’m using on the Bronco is a bypass, so four ports. I would like to see and know what you think when it’s installed.
I am also using the 4 port bypass valve because I use the water to heat the intake manifold as I am running EFI exh. manifolds on my 300 six motor.

Right now I don't have working AC and this does make a big difference.
I have the later HVAC system so I cant run the vent with out hot water going thru the core.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That 4 port looks good - much more compact than I was picturing.

Installed mine tonight but still need to build the vacuum line getup.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just a tee into the recirc line, right?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
You're right - I did talk it up a bit for just being vacuum lines.

I ran to the jy and cut a few of the black/white stripe recirc door lines. Surprising how the vast majority were broke off at the diaphragm.
I used a Dorman 47415 soft tee to connect them. It's made for smaller lines but it worked well and no concern about them falling out.

Still no a/c system but looking forward to doing a vent temperature test with and without the valve.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good.  And you will see a significant difference in temp with the valve closed.