classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vacuum Controlled Heater Core Valve

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - That would explain a lot on the cable.

As for the flat connector, did you mean 1979 to 1982?  So, it changed in '83?  Hmmm, I missed that.  

Thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Sorry, I was in a hurry and I fat-thumbed the date on my phone. Should have just been 1980-1982 had the early controller style...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Note that I edited the referenced post as the indicated valve will not work.  It opens with vacuum instead of closing.  
Gary, I am perhaps getting a little confused... is there a valve that closes with vacuum that will work using the early controller port #1? I get that the pictured valve functions opposite, but is the idea still valid with the right valve?

As far as the web page write up, I can confirm that the HVAC controller swap is possible if you have the cable, vacuum harness, and function switch connector that match the HVAC controller, and the illumination pigtail that matches the truck harness. The things I still have questions are:
-1983 specific cable (I don't know what this difference could be, I've just seen the two types and 1983 has the "late" style switch. I see no difference between 1983/84/85/86.
-Non AC trucks... I have not looked at the controllers or cables to see if there are any different issues to watch out for. My guess is that the same changes were made (function switch plug, vacuum harness, and cable type) but I have not verified this.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Jonathan - Thanks. Yes, there is a vacuum-close valve - I have D6DZ-18495-A on the how-to page, but should have put it in this thread as it may be the only thing people read. 😩  However, there are lots of vacuum-close valves with 5/8” fittings.  And I expected someone to take issue with the 2 vs 4-port thing, but there are also plenty of 4-port valves out there that close with vacuum.

Anyway, I’ll edit the info about the cable and the 1983 controls. Basically what we have then are:

Two types of vacuum controls: 1980-82 and 83-86

Two types of function switch connectors: 1980-82 and 1983-86

Two types of illumination connectors: early vs late, but do we know dates?probably 80-82 & 83-86?

Three types of cables: 1980 - 82, 1983, and 1984 - 86. But we don’t know what the 1983 cable looks like nor how it connects.

As for the non-AC trucks, that adds another layer of complexity. In 1981, judging by the EVTM there were three factory-supplied HVAC systems: Heater, which had no function switch; Comfort Vent, which had the same system as A/C; and A/C. But by 1986 the EVTM drops the Comfort Vent. So the Comfort Vent heater system would lend itself to this modification. Does that make sense?

Thanks again. 👍

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary for the clarification. I read the tab and the part number but I was confused whether or not that referred to the one that ~didn't work. That's from reading bits and pieces on the go.

As far as the controllers, I'm seeing that the vacuum switch changed in 1983 along with the plug. Unless I am missing something I literally only see two types: 80-82 and 83-86, which corresponds to the change in graphics. I looked at four different examples of 1983's yesterday that had the new style vacuum switch. I just wish I had been more observant of the cables.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can add part numbers to the page as we get the details worked out.

And I’ve edited my 8:08 AM post to change the control dates. Thanks for that, I wasn’t aware that the controls actually changed in 1983. So, does it look right now?

And, did the illumination connector also change as of 1983?

If that’s right, it only leaves the cable issue to sort out. And it is possible that the 1983 cable fits the 1984 - 86 controls, but that they had a problem with the ‘83 and revised it for ‘84 - and forgot to change the 1983 catalog entry to show “replaced by”. That happens all the time in the catalog.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That looks right Gary. I will look at the 1983 cables next time I go to see if I can find the difference. The upgraded/updated part is a good explanation of what may have happened, especially if the part number for the HVAC unit itself didn't change.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I need some help.  How does the heat control cable connect to the 1985-86 control?  The parts catalog shows there to be three different cables: 1980-82; 1983; and 1984 - 89.  But, I thought there were essentially only two different control setups: 1980 - 84 and 1985 - 86.

Here's a pic of the cable I have from a 1982 truck and the 1985 control, and I don't see a way to connect it.  What am I missing?

That appears to be the stumbling block in swapping a late control into an earlier truck or vice versa.  Here's what I've found of "connections":

Heat Cable: This is the one un-answered question.  So, if we can answer this one I think we will have this nailed.

Vacuum: There's a vacuum harness for each of the controls, meaning early vs late, and you have to use the correct harness.  But, the vacuum motors didn't change, so use the harness for the control you have.

Blower Motor: The blower speed switch was the same from 1980 through at least 1989, so this connection is not an issue

Tank Selector: There were several different switches, but they will swap from the early control to the later control and vice versa.  So, this isn't a problem if you have both controls available.

Illumination: The connector for the bulb to illuminate the control is different from the early to late control.  But, the socket, wire, and connector can be easily swapped from one control to the other.

Function Switch: The connector on this switch went from a square plug to a flat plug, but both have the same 4 wires.  So Jonathan/Ford F834 has figured out how to pull the pins out of one connector and put them in the other, so this one isn't a problem either.

Bottom Line: If there's a way to use the same temp control cable then I can write up a how-to on swapping the controls.  And then I can write up the how-to on the shut-off valve, which will refer the reader to the how-to on swapping HVAC controls.  Make sense?
Gary, little late to the party, what does the other end of that cable look like?
I ask because that end pictured looks like the end that goes to the temp. door arm and the tab would get a screw thru it to the box.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I'll get pics of both ends of the cable tomorrow.

All - I added several part numbers to the HVAC/Integral AC part number tab today.  And, what I found says that there are only two vacuum harnesses - one for 1980 - 82 and one for 1983 - 86.  So that confirms what Jonathan was saying.

But, as I said before, there are 3 different temp control cables, so I'd like to know the differences.  Jonathan is to look when he heads to the salvage next, but if someone else has examples please take pics and post them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I got a bit more done on the how-to tab on the HVAC/Integral AC page.  I've now realized that there are multiple ways to solve the heat problem.  In fact, Bill proposed a new one with a vacuum solenoid and valve which will work with the later controls.  So I created tabs for each of the ways and intend to flesh out each of them.

However, today I drilled the vacuum header/connector for the early controls and added a piece of plastic tubing that The Huck gave up.  So, it is ready to go when the time comes to put that in Dad's truck.  And, I took pics and put them in the tab, which means I think that tab is done, and I'll get to the other tabs after I am thankful and recover from overeating.  

Dave - Here's the pic for the ends of the 1980 - 82 cable:

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, looking at the early vs late control panel, I see where the vacuum issue arises, look at the sequence on the function selector lever, specifically where Vent is in relation to the A/C selections. Makes me like my older Chrysler push buttons more, Vent was achieved by pulling the A/C button back out, which turned off the A/C clutch feed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hadn’t noticed that, Bill. But they really did change things, didn’t they.

I need to find two good early controls. A really nice one for Dad’s and a nice one for Big Blue. The one I have leaks in the control itself, although I’ve fixed leaks before by pulling them apart and cleaning them, so maybe I can in this one. Then, with the right cables and connectors I’ll try this on Big Blue.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary I didn't get a shot of the late cable by itself yet (probably tomorrow) but I was at my truck today and got a pic of the cable end as it connects to the controller and dog legs through the hole in the lever arm:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Is that an '83 or?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Jonathan - Is that an '83 or?
Oh, sorry... that came from a 1986 F250. Hopefully I can get pics of the 1983 version tomorrow at the junkyard.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
I used a NAPA as shown in the link.

Equivalent to a Motorcraft YG350.

Hooked in the Max A/C vacuum line on my Bronco. I might put one on the F250.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6601294

I used this one on Lucille as well.  It works great!
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's easily done, but doesn't cool the incoming air in Vent, and that's my biggest issue.  So many days when I want to drive with the windows down and air coming in via Vent, but right now the air is quite warm.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
That's easily done, but doesn't cool the incoming air in Vent, and that's my biggest issue.  So many days when I want to drive with the windows down and air coming in via Vent, but right now the air is quite warm.
If your mod doesn't work out. Hope it does.

Here's the valve I have in case hooking it in Max A/C doesn't work like I want.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-11542-vus
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Gary Lewis wrote

It is easily done, and it *does* effectively cool the air in the MAX A/C mode.  Much cooler than without the valve.  

Do you not have air conditioning in Dad's truck?  If you don't, I see why you have an issue.  But if you do have A/C, I'm not seeing it?

If the air coming from the VENT is too warm, turn on the A/C.  Isn't that the purpose?  If it is still too warm, use MAX/AC.  If it gets too cold, all you have to do is move the temperature control to the "warmer" side enough to suit your needs.  I suppose that is why Ford didn't do what you are proposing.  That, and one of the biggest reasons the A/C system develops leaks is because the A/C usually isn't used enough.  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup, I have A/C.  But, when it is in the 60's outside I don't see the need to run it.  However, with coolant to the heater core the air temp is way too warm on Vent.  As for needing warm air then, just move the lever to Heat.