Vacuum Controlled Heater Core Valve

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vacuum Controlled Heater Core Valve

Ferdinand
Well another great thread. Not that I am surprised! Sure missed everyone and their awesome progress. Looking forward to catching up on everyone's "onion peeling" This project has crossed my mind and I went out and ordered 2 three-way T-port valves and planned on doing all this manually under the hood, but now I am really reconsidering using a vacuum shut off. I am of the persuasion that I would like the core shut off on everything but heat as well. (I am tinkering on Ferdinand again; '85 Bronco XLT, Factory AC <but removed after the fire>)

I am reeeeeaaalllly disappointed in the current replacement cores. Cheap enough for sure but I think the heat sync is nearly 1/2" thinner!

Anyone have any good recommendations for sealing the airbox back up? Planning on just using black butyl unless someone can steer me in a better direction. (I really don't want to seal it up with silicone or permatex.

Thanks again guys for all the GREAT info!!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I would like to say after this summer, that I’m thinking of taking the valve out and hooking up the heater core as stock.

With the forest fires I use the Max A/C to keep as much of the bad air out that I can. It wasn’t real hot out one day, but hot enough for A/C, and I don’t want the vents or to open the windows.

There is no controlling the temperature. It was just cold, without the heater core being warm all I could do was turn down the fan.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Thanks for the feedback Dane. I think I am going forward with the manual valves. That way I have 100% control of when the heater core is in use. Plus I like the idea of when it is off, I am recirculating back to the block. I may feel differently once I get my factory air rebuilt but I am not sure when that will be. But in case I run another summer with out it, keeping that hot box from bleeding heat into the cab in July has got to be a plus! I do run my vent a lot, but I can understand why you don't and I likely would do the same in your shoes. I really like the look of the install on your Bronco. Mine is a bit older but I plan on fabbing up a mount for the 3 way valves almost in the same location that you have your bypass valve.

I'll upload the project for the benefit of another option. Though, most folks would likely take a hard pass on the idea. We shall see how it goes. Valves supposed to be in come in Friday.
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.