classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
550 messages Options
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

grumpin
Be careful with these older vehicles with respiratory problems!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Great to hear from you Matthew!  

Nice to see Grandpa's truck is getting it done.
Another survivor of the great zombie apocalypse

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matthew!  Good to see from you!  Truck looks good, but lonesome.

Are you taking classes from home?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Makes sense to me:

Defenestration is out

Enfenestration is in

Just started reading this build, loved this gem.  Had some thoughts to add.  If the root for defenestration  is defense, as in forcing invaders back out keep windows and the like, then the root for in should be offensive.  So I'm voting we change in to Offenestration.  That's all I've got for now, back to reading.
Tessa - 1982 F-100 - 300 6 with a mystery build, C6, new(to her) forged front end and not-so-stock emissions wearing a 1985 F-150 Texas Chainsaw style.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Matthew!  Good to see from you!  Truck looks good, but lonesome.
Thanks, good to be back!  Not that I'd ever really left...and I have been reading up on some threads periodically.  But with one thing and another the truck has taken a back seat for a while, so not a whole lot of cause to post here.  Although now that spring has arrived, I expect that to change somewhat.

And it was definitely a lonely ride to the wing joint to pick up dinner, but the truck *has* made some new friends recently.  At the last robotics competition before the season got cancelled, the organizers gave us half of the competition carpet, on the condition we could haul it home that night:

Are you taking classes from home?
Nope!  Those of us who have finally graduated have no need for online learning.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, forgot you'd graduated.  Good job!

As for the robotics competition, so many things have been canceled it makes me wonder what life will be like afterward.  But, these sacrifices are pretty small in comparison to what some are making.  I won't complain.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I  see you're not at church..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I  see you're not at church..
Me - Not AT church, but from 11:00 to just now we were together via Zoom and Facebook Live.

We cancelled all services as of last Sunday and have gone on-line.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Our church has also cancelled regular services.  They were supposed to be livestreaming a mini-sermon of some kind today, but due to technical difficulties that didn't happen.

It's just as well that they've cancelled; three weeks ago, when it was clear what was coming but the craziness hadn't set in, the pastor and assistant pastor demonstrated some alternate ways of greeting one another (the foot tap, the elbow bump, etc) that we could use going forward.  And when we got to the part of that day's service where we were supposed to greet each other...everyone promptly started hugging and handshaking.

I expect the congregation to be noticeably smaller once this is past.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We are a hugging congregation too, so it wasn't going to work very well for us.

But, I fear you are right - our congregation will be smaller when this is over.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Hey! Like was said by others, good to hear from you and see the truck.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
So the weather here outside of Atlanta is nice, I'm locked down with nothing to do...maybe now would be a good time to work on the truck?

I don't want to spend much money at the moment (I'm still working, but I had questions about the stability of my job a couple of months ago and the current situation isn't making things better), so I think I am going to focus on sealing up my cowl leaks (I bought a tube of POR-15 seam sealer a while back) and maybe tightening up the linkages for my windshield wipers.

Anyone have some pearls of wisdom they want to throw my way before I get started?
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matthew - I certainly understand the reluctance to spend money right now.  We have no idea what tomorrow will bring.

But I don't have any pearls of wisdom, and especially not on sealing up cowl leaks as I've not done that.  Others have though, and I hope they'll be along soon.

Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
What part are you sealing?  I'm getting ready to replace my hood to cowl seal with a garage door seal.  Seems to be the cheap route.
Tessa - 1982 F-100 - 300 6 with a mystery build, C6, new(to her) forged front end and not-so-stock emissions wearing a 1985 F-150 Texas Chainsaw style.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
No pearls of wisdom either I'm afraid. Just a 'good luck' in cleaning the old stuff out! I saw a thread on it years ago on FTE, using wire wheels etc, they must have had tiny hands and tools because I had no chance of doing that!

I just got as much as I could off by using prying tools(screw driver mostly) and pulling pieces off by hand... Then took a wire brush to it, some air to blow away loose debris and then numerous coats of Chassis Saver. It's probably sealed as it is already, but I'm following it up with POR 15 patch(I think the same stuff you're using, it says 'filler and seam sealer') in the seam.

Mine wasn't leaking to begin with, so you might need a more thorough job, then again maybe not, I suppose it's what's on top that matters, not necessarily what's going on underneath...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by CliftonK
CliftonK wrote
What part are you sealing?  I'm getting ready to replace my hood to cowl seal with a garage door seal.  Seems to be the cheap route.
I did the hood to cowl seal last year.  This time I’m removing the cowl panel and hopefully sealing up whatever gap is allowing rainwater into the cabin.  It’s not a lot of water, but when I redid the cab floor last year I discovered rust.  The rust is fixed now, and I’d like to be sure it doesn’t come back.

Also, I’m going to fix my redneck windshield wiper setup - I had to do this when the wiper came off on the way to Skiatook last September, and I’ve been driving around with it ever since.

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
I haven't looked down in mine.  I just got around to pulling the windshield trim from the donor so I'm getting ready to swap the cowl over now.  Looks like that wiper didn't get put on all the way.  When I did mine I didn't notice one of that didn't get locked in until I pulled them back off later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
It's weird...no matter what I tried, I couldn't get that wiper to lock down correctly; I think there's a manufacturing flaw in the locking thing on the wiper blade.  I've got another blade behind the seat in the truck, but the zip tie worked so well that I didn't bother to replace it right away, and eventually forgot all about it.

Does the windshield trim have to be removed to remove the cowl panel?  
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had to remove the windshield trim to get the cowl off on Big Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Matthew,
I got a bit in depth with wipers and cowl last September(?) when my wiper motor died.
WHYDTYTT...

I found slop in the motors gearbox output, the plastic retainers between linkage sections, and the wiper pivot posts themselves.

I also went to the later J-hook style wiper arms.

Even with the polka dot cowl I had plenty of muck down at the rubber drains.
While I've tried to seal everything with low modulus urethane caulk, there are still some spots down there that I can't even see.
 Jim,
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 28