classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
550 messages Options
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Truck of Doom: An Occasional Build Thread

Dorsai
Will a smear of Vaseline do?  I keep a little tub of it in my garage for just that purpose.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think petroleum jelly has any high pressure additives.  

Cough up the $3.99 and sleep well knowing that you have done what you can to prevent galling on startup.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I guess I'll go visit Counter Girl one more time.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
So...given that it's less than three weeks until the show and school has continued to be a time suck, I've decided to punt on the valve stem seal replacement effort for the time being.  I'm going to finish cleaning and painting the valve cover since it's already off, but otherwise I'm just going to put everything back together - that'll give me a couple of weeks to drive the truck locally in an attempt to shake out any problems before I hit the road.

I had previously removed the rocker arms and pushrods from cylinder #1, so I put those back in last night, everything going back exactly where it came from.  I torqued the nuts down to whatever Haynes told me to (23 ft-lbs?  The book is upstairs), and everything is nice and snug.  I tried wiggling the rocker arms and got very little side-to-side motion.  This seems good...except that I then decided to wiggle some untouched-by-me arms on the other cylinders, and they seem looser.  They're not flopping all over the place or anything, but they're noticeably freer than the ones I just put back on.

What's up with that?  I checked the nuts on the other arms and they aren't loose.  Is this a case where once I fire the truck up everything will re-seat on #1?  Or was there some trick to making sure the fulcrums are perfectly positioned that I didn't do?
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think that's a wise decision, Matthew.

As for the others being loose, it depends on where they are in the cam cycle.  At TDC on the compression stroke both rocker arms should be fairly loose.  But when holding a valve open that rocker should be tight as the push rod will have the rocker holding the valve open against spring pressure.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Duh...that one I should have figured out on my own.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
Duh...that one I should have figured out on my own.
Sometimes we are so close to it we wind up doing a  when it becomes obvious.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
After deciding to skip the valve stem seal replacement, putting the truck back together was a snap.  That was an awful lot of work for nothing more than a repainted valve cover, but I suppose that's better than nothing:

I still think clean parts look weird - I suppose that means I just need to clean and paint the rest of the engine compartment to match.

After I got it back together and started up, I had a ticking noise from the front of the engine that was initially concerning.  But maybe a mile into my test loop it had gone away, and it ran smoothly and quietly after that point.  Assuming no leaks manifest themselves, all I have left to do is an oil change and I'm ready to hit the highway.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good, Matthew!  And only about 2 weeks to do the little things.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
Looking good, Matthew! And only about 2 weeks to do the little things.
And there aren't even that many little things to do:
  • Oil change
  • Check tire pressure
  • Check lights
  • Wash windows
  • Hang license plate collection
  • Um...???
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How long has it been since the front wheel bearings were checked?  Brakes & brake fluid?  Lug nut torque?

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
How long has it been since the front wheel bearings were checked?  Brakes & brake fluid?  Lug nut torque?
I replaced the front wheel bearings about a year (~2500 miles) ago when I did the front brakes, so they should be good.  Lug nuts will be checked when I air up the tires.  Brake fluid is a good call, I should at least make sure it's all still there. *makes note*
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
After I got it back together and started up, I had a ticking noise from the front of the engine that was initially concerning.  But maybe a mile into my test loop it had gone away, and it ran smoothly and quietly after that point.
Most likely just the #1 lifter pumping back up.

Nothing to see here, move along.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You should definitely change the blinker fluid before embarking on such a long journey.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Dorsai wrote
I still think clean parts look weird - I suppose that means I just need to clean and paint the rest of the engine compartment to match.
That sir is a slippery slope if there ever was one...lol. Once you start with just one part...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I hear the condition can progress beyond paint as well...do you know, I was looking into pricing for powder coating rims last night?
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
That sir is a slippery slope if there ever was one...lol. Once you start with just one part...
Yep, you'll be powder coating the inside parts of the HVAC system next.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You should definitely change the blinker fluid before embarking on such a long journey.
And, the muffler bearings!
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
1986F150Six wrote
And, the muffler bearings!
I should have done that while I was doing the u-joints...d'oh!!
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Today my truck turned 40!

I was afraid I would have to post a sad photo of it quarantined in the garage, but it turned out that I needed to go out and pick up dinner tonight.  So:

Stay safe, everyone!
Matthew
Atlanta GA
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 28