Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
LOL, indeed!

My saga begins in 1988.
I was doing exterior trim for -a very famous celebrity- at their waterfront Greenwich estate.
I was a 26 year old carpenter with a clapped out Datsun pickup and a big completion bonus.

Then the tile guy shows up with a brand new, bright red, 4x4 pickup with a 'for sale' sign in the back window.
I said "hey Paul, where did you get that? Where's your van?"
I got it for my son to bring pallets of tile and loads of sand. He just got locked up for ten years, so...
"Well I've got 10Grand cash burning a hole in my pocket. Right here, right now!"

The truck was a bare bones Custom and had 9,687 miles on it.
Thus was born a 31 year relationship.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I was 2 years old in 1988. Yall are some old farts.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
You've got to remember Ford was breaking the styling mold in those days.

The Taurus, and the Bricknose were,  errrrm 'innovative'!

And 2E Light Canyon Red was attractive! (as a strippers bright nail polish, to a 26 yo me)
It also went with the Performance Red of my '85 GT.  *notch Mustang*
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Didn't I say "I have bunions older than you, sonny!"

You thought I was joking?????

Erik (my son) was born July 31, 1978.
Yeah,   you're a 'kid'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Random question: if left in constant contact, would plain leather stock damage auto paint? So no dye or anything.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Being a cobbler myself, I would say that natural vegtable tanned leather would present no problem except rubbing.
Some of the chrome tanned garment leathers are pretty caustic.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Edit: moving this from the lounge and will start a new thread for it

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Thus was born a 31 year relationship.
I'm trying to keep my Ranger so I can have a similar story in twenty more years. I bought the truck used (It's a 2003) in 2010 with 42,000 miles. Now I'm inching up towards 170,000 miles. It would be cool to still have it when I'm 50. Most of my friends have been through at least four different vehicles since we graduated, I'm the only one still driving the same truck. It was my high school graduation present to myself, so it's worth keeping around.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Well, I don't know where you went, but I'll tell you you don't want an absorbent material.

I used those yellow plastic Bondo spreaders.
You can pick up a whole pack of them for ~$2 at Horrid Fate.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha sorry. Got pulled into something at work and never got a chance to create the other thread. I'd read where you used those spreaders and have always been planning on that but on the drive to work this morning I thought of leather. Good point on the absorption. No need to make it a maintenance part.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, let's see, I never had a truck until our scoutmaster tried to cut down a phone pole with his 1958 F100, grille was destroyed, but minimal frame damage (those trucks are tanks!). I had driven and worked on a 59 F100 that had a 1956 T-Bird carburetor and possibly the engine as it even had the correct Holley Load-a-matic distributor. I rebuilt the Holley 4000 on it. Because you had to be 21 to carry the boys, I would drive one of our wagons (both Mopars, a 62 Belvidere and a 59 DeSoto) and switch vehicles with Bob Addison, then scoutmaster and drive his truck with the equipment.

When Hansel Price, scoutmaster at the time, wrecked his truck, I told him I would see if I could fix it. Friend who owned a junk yard had an old Army Corps of Engineers 1957 with no title, since the numbers are on removable components (doors), I straightened out the grille as best I could, swapped doors (the 58 ones were in better shape). It was a 223 6 with a 3 speed. Neighbor had a 1957 Ranchero he was going to fix, until he found the metal eating termites had carried off half the frame. It had a 312 with a Borg-Warner T85 and overdrive. I refreshed the engine, stuck a Carter AFB from a Buick 300 V8 on it and Thunderbird exhaust manifolds. Truck had a 3.73 9" rear and it would lug down to around 45 mph in OD with that 312. Friend with 1957 T-bird needed an intake with a good choke stove and for some reason the right exhaust manifold had a choke stove in it, so for the price of two sets of intake gaskets we swapped intakes. Then I got playing with a non-feedback Motorcraft 2700 VV carb, 25 mpg with that 312 in a pickup truck.

We were given a 1972 Wolverine 11 1/2 foot slide-in camper, since the 58 was a 6' styleside, and the camper needed an 8' bed, it was see about stretching the truck or find a different one. I had planned out an upgrade for the 58, use a 390 I had and a custom made adapter for a dual coupling Hydramatic, change the rear to a 3.25, use a Saginaw power steering setup like the pre-1980 4WDs did, as that would put the box up front and still use the drag-link to the beam axle, brakes were a "what can I fit there" deal. Co-worker at NNS had a nice 1977 F150, with the 300 and C4 (not one of Ford's "better ideas", 300 has enough torque to burn up a C4 easily). I gave the 58 to my son-in-law.

Used the 1977 until 1994 when we bought a 30 ft 5th wheel trailer, I had installed a Camper Special 390 and C6 in with a custom dual exhaust system I designed and had a local shop build. The 77 pulled the 5th wheel, just wasn't happy stopping it. Late wife was camped next to a fellow who had a 1986 F350 crew cab dually for sale, at first I wasn't real keen on it, but for $4500 it was a steal. For you youngsters, this past April was 25 years I have owned Darth. I really have no plans on replacing him, don't really like the newer stuff, Darth has still got the original king pins and muffler, no ABS, no air bags, no catalytic converter and no taxes!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Taxes, high insurance and a nut to the finance company every month...  No Thanks!

Steve83 mentioned a friend of his had a new truck that was well north of $100k.
I'd buy a jet boat and a party girl for that kind of coin!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill - I think I got lost in all the swaps.  But suffice to say you've been around "trucks".  (Awa carbs, engines, ignitions, etc.)

As for something north of $100K, I wonder where the Tremor will come in?  (See my new post.)  That's a nice truck, but do you really want to go off road with something that pricey?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
People trek around in half million dollar upfitted Unimog's.

Why the Heck not?
If you've got money for toys, go out and wreck them!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'll keep my $6-800 a month loan payment and throw it at my current trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
salans7 wrote
I'll keep my $6-800 a month loan payment and throw it at my current trucks.
I second that. $600-$800 a month is a mortgage payment. I know people do it all the time, but spending that kind of money on a vehicle just blows my mind. We pay $1000 a month extra on our mortgage principle. We will be debt free in 3 years. Then we will maybe sell our Kentucky place and travel for 6 months to decide where in this great country we want to settle for awhile. Debt = chains.

But hey, this is America. If you make money, spend it how you want to. No debt = Liberty. Ive spent all my best years paying debts. No more.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
People trek around in half million dollar upfitted Unimog's.

Why the Heck not?
If you've got money for toys, go out and wreck them!
I am pretty sure my brother did not pay any where near that much for his Mog
He also tells me it goes any where he wants to go with it even the Rubicon Trail.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Head over to Expedition Portal and tell me that again......

ETA: Where $375,000 is a "price drop" and a "steal"
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/price-drop-unimog-u500-gxv-safari-extreme.199340/
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Happy birthday kid. 🎂🎉
I hope you and your growing family do a lot better than I did!

And, he did well at Embry Riddle, now living in Cocoa.
Married a beautiful and intelligent classmate.

So.....  TIL my oldest granddaughter Eve(lyn) wants to get married. 😲
Man, this life isn't a bobsled run, it's a rocket on rails.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
Erik (my son) was born July 31, 1978.
Yeah,   you're a 'kid'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, I guess you are talking to me.

Anyway, this "kid" has two sons. I take care of a widowed grandmother, a widowed mother, and now support a MIL with breast cancer. Oh yeah, been married 10 years now.

......somedays I wish I were still a "kid".

1 ... 78910111213 ... 116