Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I used to say "You can have it the second Tuesday of next week"

You're telling me, there are no Tuesday's?  
Nope.  Just Saturdays & one Sunday.  However, to converse with those still working you do have to be able to translate.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
Nope.  Just Saturdays & one Sunday.  However, to converse with those still working you do have to be able to translate.
Thanks for rubbing it in Gary....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray Cecil wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
Thanks for rubbing it in Gary....
Welcome.  And, just to help you out, today is Sunday.  And I'll be off to church in a bit.  Then the luncheon after church, then the church visit to the retirement home this afternoon.  See you later, gator.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Rub that salt into my wounds.....

In all fairness, you are old and worked many years to deserve retirement. Enjoy it!

Ill be debt free by 36. So, I will still be working, but I will be really hastening an early retirement by living frugal while still earning well. I plan to retire by 45-50. Aint no way i am waiting until 67....that is a load of bologna.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan. I retired at about 60.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I retired 1 November 2011, actually was 65 in May, and original plan was 1 June. There was a calibration conference near DC that my supervisor wanted to take all of us to in October, so I stayed to go to it.

BTW, I still haven't figured out how I had time to go to work.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
Amen!  I had an older cousin tell me that when I was still working and I wondered what he meant.  Now I know, and it is so true.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yesterday, on the way out of work, I hit a Gator lurking in the shadow of a bridge.

It was startling, and really took my focus off the road ahead.

Why does this even happen anymore?
Haven't TPMS been mandatory since 2008?

Just cheap retreads?

Maybe FoxFord can answer, since he works at a tire shop.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So that's what a Gator is!  Good to know.

Janey and I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip and we saw plenty of them.  Some complete circles, some just the tail or head.

I'm guessing it doesn't have anything to do with tire pressure but with retreads.  However, I'll see if I can scare Steve/FoxFord33 up.  He's not been on of late, but they were out of town as well.  However, I sat beside him at lunch yesterday, so they are back.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I hit a road gator on my motorcycle several years ago. Good thing it was a Dual Sport with long travel suspension.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
There's no good kind of gator in the road! What we call gators are the tires with separated steel belts, which can "bite" your hand when handling them.

Big truck tires are often retreaded, but it's usually not cheap-- just less expensive than a brand new one, and theres a limit on the number of times it can be done. We did have a customer who bought retreads for his pickup. The poor quality became more and more apparent as we proceeded. They looked like they were pulling themselves apart just from normal inflation. We ended up finding 4 used tires instead, and the place where the customer bought the retreads would not accept returns. These were obviously much poorer quality retread than the semi-truck tires we usually see.

TPMS is on many vehicles now, but I'm not sure if it's mandatory. It might be...
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
I retired 1 November 2011, actually was 65 in May, and original plan was 1 June. There was a calibration conference near DC that my supervisor wanted to take all of us to in October, so I stayed to go to it.

Nature abhors a vacuum; the time will quickly be filled!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
So, actually it was 2007....
But only for vehicles under 10k gvw.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system#Firestone_recall_and_legal_mandates

Lots of truck guys like Treadwright tires.
https://www.treadwright.com/collections/all-terrain-tires?gclid=Cj0KCQjwp5_qBRDBARIsANxdcil0EEwFMoKd9mq54LEKY2z4tsf3EGltqJes2fbgBN0t5d5bKrxNf6saAgTKEALw_wcB

Their remolds are available in patterns not seen anymore.
I may get some myself, if I can't find what I want online.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
When I first read Jim's post, I thought he had hit an actual gator, a common occurrence in Florida, man.

Once a Floridian, always a Floridian.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
. Nope!

I did splatter an armadillo in Georgia, on my bike, though.

I can only imagine what hitting a good sized alligator could do to your vehicle.

Thankfully they haven't made it this far north..... yet.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't imagine the splatter from an armadillo.  

I used to ride a lot, and studiously avoided all stuff in the road, although sometimes you can't.  I remember one time my buddy and I were riding a twisty/turny road near a lake.  I rounded a bend and saw a snake in my lane all coiled up.  I knew I didn't want to hit it and was able to just miss it.

A few turns later I realized my buddy wasn't behind me, so went back.  I found him watching the snake, and when I pulled up he told me it had struck at me as I passed.  He saw it all stretched out in the air behind me.

About that time a patrolman pulled up, saw the snake and said "I hate snakes!"  With that he reached back into the patrol car, pulled out his 12ga, racked a shell in, and shot the snake.  My buddy and I both swore that we saw the head fly over "there", but when we looked there was no head.  But, there was a groove in the pavement where the shot had hit that was an inch deep and a couple wide.

I asked the guy what shells he had and he showed me - the brass went half the way up the casing.  And it held OO.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hard to avoid when you're doing 90 at midnight.
My first thought was 'oh, a paper bag'

We're not used to armadillos up here.

Imagine how 'ripe' I was by the time I got back to Connecticut!

And I DID stop at Bob's BMW I Jessup, MD on the way.
They are too 'refined' to deal with a sunburnt guy with a mohawk, covered in roadkill.

It was a good chuckle to remember their faces on the ride home.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, I love your story about making the snobs at the beemer store feel a little uneasy. I work in a nice office, full of do-gooder, by the book, ironed slacks, polished shoe types (lots of beemers and Teslas in the parking lot). When I pull up in my beat up Silverado or blue 82 flareside with glasspacks, rev matching, Raybans, Alan Jackson blaring Chatahoochie, and Trump Sticker on the bumper, there are two types of reactions. 1. The minority response is "man I wish I had the balls to grow my beard out and drive an old truck, and speak what I really think" 2. The majority response is one of snobbery, condescention and "Virtue Signaling" from people who would melt if I looked at em sideways and said "Murica!". They really do think they are better than people like me.

I used to be a good little boy.....but now I am too amused and entertained with red pilling the npc zombies. Im the only one who "accidentally" tracks mud into the office on Monday mornings. I get the same joy remembering the looks on some of the snobs faces that you got Jim. They literally are so disconnected with reality, when they see mud on my boots they cannot imagine how it got there.

I LOVE IT. MURICA!

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Ray Cecil wrote
I used to be a good little boy.....but now I am too amused and entertained with red pilling the npc zombies. Im the only one who "accidentally" tracks mud into the office on Monday mornings. I get the same joy remembering the looks on some of the snobs faces that you got Jim. They literally are so disconnected with reality, when they see mud on my boots they cannot imagine how it got there.

I LOVE IT. MURICA!

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
Ray Cecil wrote

I LOVE IT. MURICA!
I know, I know - I am entirely ruining the point so blame it on a childhood of hearing my mom yell: "You brought it in,  you take it out" but I can't help but think of this video that cracks me up:

"I've got the same coffee table at home"
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 114